Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Well it's that time of year again!! And, based on the relative success of last year's effort, I think another IW Secret Santa might go down okay. And since quite a few of the excellent participants from last year aren't around anymore, there'll be less chance of getting the same person.

Here is how it works (yes I cut and paste from last year - took ages to find it - bloody Z archived it! [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) :

For those who don't know what a secret santa is, basically when you have a large group of people who give gifts to each other at Christmas, if everyone gets everyone else a gift you all end up with lots of cheap crap that you don't want. So instead, everyone puts their names in a hat and picks one person out in secret to give a gift to, so that you can spend as much on one person that you would spend on everyone - so everyone gets one great gift instead of a bunch of small crap. And it's all the more fun because it's a secret - no one knows who is getting a gift for who else until everyone gets together to distribute the gifts.

So, I think this will translate to IW quite well - hopefully lots of people will join in and it will be lots of fun. But gifts! The real beauty of the online thingy, is that you can't actually BUY anyone a gift, you'd be just giving them a gift IDEA - describing what you would give to whoever you get as your secret santa recipient. I think that the best and worst part about gift giving is coming up with the gift - I can often think of something great and totally appropriate and personalised to a person, but it is ridiculously expensive or unavailable or otherwise ungettable. With giving a gift idea, you don't have to worry about whether it's totally expensive or not even attainable with stacks of money. So, the gift idea you give to your secret santa recipient can be as outrageous as you like - a holiday to somewhere they've always wanted to go, season tickets and a meeting with their favourite sporting team, or even something silly and fantasy-based like a sword of smiting annoying work colleagues. And it doesn't have to be personalised, because obviously you might not know whoever you get as your secret santa recipient that well, but it can still be cool and fun.

So, it will work like this. In this thread people can indicate if they want to be part of it. Then after a few days when no one else seems to want to join in, I'll randomly pick who's giving gifts to who. Then I'll PM everyone who's involved with the person they are giving a gift to. Then on about the 22nd of December, I'll make another thread where everyone 'gives' their gift - posts who they were giving a gift to and what it is. I'm hoping lots of people will join in - if there's only a few then I won't go ahead with it, but hey, I think it will be fun, and it's not exactly a huge commitment - just check your pms in a week or so and then be around sometime before Christmas to give your gift - and read all about the gift you've been given, of course!

Here is the gift-giving thread from last year so you can see what sort of gifts people gave and how much fun it was.

So, to recap!!
[img]graemlins/xmas2.gif[/img] Secret Santa - getting someone who you are randomly and secretly allocated a cool gift idea.
[img]graemlins/xmas2.gif[/img] Post HERE if you want to be involved.
[img]graemlins/xmas2.gif[/img] Check pms when all sign-ups are done to see who you've been allocated.
[img]graemlins/xmas2.gif[/img] Think of idea.
[img]graemlins/xmas2.gif[/img] Post gift in special gift-giving thread after the 22nd until the 25th.
[img]graemlins/xmas2.gif[/img] Check gift-giving thread for the pressie YOU'VE been given!!

And yeah, even if you don't celebrate Christmas, I'd love you to join in anyway. It's not really a Christmas thing so much as a friend thing. If you didn't join in last year then do so this year! You don't want to be so silly two years running!!
Old 12-11-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
Sir Goulum
John Locke

It was fun last year, so I'll sign up again! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
dplax
Jack Burton

I got all nostalgic reading the thread from last year, so of course I'll join in again. [img]smile.gif[/img]

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Sign me up again
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:16 PM   #5
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Count me in [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Cool, seems like it was fun ast year, so I don't want to miss out this year....

sign me up!
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

Sounds fun, I'm in.
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
Brayf
Zhentarim Guard

How lovely [img]smile.gif[/img] . I don't really know anybody here, so don't sign me up, but I'll enjoy reading what everyone gets!
Brayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #9
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Sounds like fun

Sign up anyway, Brayf, like what was said, it could be a Sword of Smiting Annoying colleuges for example.

I'm in!
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:43 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Sign me up, Aelia! [img]smile.gif[/img]