Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Just saw this online...

Quote:

Tue Aug 9, 1:21 PM ET

SEOUL (Reuters) - A South Korean man who played computer games for 50 hours almost non-stop died of heart failure minutes after finishing his mammoth session in an Internet cafe, authorities said Tuesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 28-year-old man, identified only by his family name Lee, had been playing on-line battle simulation games at the cybercafe in the southeastern city of Taegu, police said.

Lee had planted himself in front of a computer monitor to play on-line games on Aug. 3. He only left the spot over the next three days to go to the toilet and take brief naps on a makeshift bed, they said.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official said by telephone.

Lee had recently quit his job to spend more time playing games, the daily JoongAng Ilbo reported after interviewing former work colleagues and staff at the Internet cafe.

After he failed to return home, Lee's mother asked his former colleagues to find him. When they reached the cafe, Lee said he would finish the game and then go home, the paper reported.

He died a few minutes later, it said.

South Korea, one of the most wired countries in the world, has a large and highly developed game industry.
Okay... giving up his job to play games? I think we have an answer to when you should stop playing....

'Course, the burning question all gamers want to know... what game was he playing that had him so addicted, and can I get some of that?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Sheesh...what a wussy.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #3
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Oh s**t, you can die from that?

Wow, I've been lucky then
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

puh... 50 hours, thats sad...
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

50 hours? What a freaking wuss. What would he have done in a real situation?

Again, there is a difference between reality, and everything else. I can still go 96hrs and I've been retired for 6 months, sheez, what is this world coming to?

FYI: I'm a retired soldier, 72hrs is the minimum and 96hrs is the goal for endurance operations without rest. DO NOT TRY THIS ALONE, OR AT HOME!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:26 PM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Hmmm... brings to mind a gaming tip I read while playing BG2. It appears in the loading screen. Simply it states that while your characters do not need to eat drink or sleep, you do. I think perhaps that he forgot to nourish himself and thus had no energy to go on.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

LOL, yeah really, I want to know what game it was! And what level did he get to? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:01 AM   #8
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Well, my personal best to this day wa some 35 or so hours of non stop(bathroom and eating breaks included) when I first got Internet. I played StarCraft fanatically... And I'm still here! No leg clogs, no heart attacks and no chronic headaches... I'm invincible!
Old 08-10-2005, 05:34 AM   #9
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I can only go about 5 or 6 hours before I have a mega headache and start to hallucinate.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:06 AM   #10
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

Longest I've played was 12 hours then mom said that I should go to bed.... [img]smile.gif[/img]