Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2001, 12:25 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I'm at chapter 2 and I'm 5 people Me (Fighter), Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, Yoshimatsu. Anomen, Nalia and Korgan wants to join me.

Here's my ideas I'm waiting for your comments. It's very enjoying to hear the ideas of other people and discuss.

1-I won't take Korgan because he's evil. I'm good.

2-I'll fire Jaheira because she's multi-classed. She's not good as a fighter her STR is only 15! And she's multi-classed.

3-I'll keep Yoshi 'til I find a good thief. I'll replace her with Imoen or Jan later.

4-Minsc rocks. He's my ranger.

5-How can I kick you Aerie my love. WEll its IMPOSSIBLE to have romance with NALIA so she's fine. She's not best mage or cleric in game I know but every party needs a 2nd spellcaster. She's got lots of speels.

6-I'm a fighter so I dont have any mage in my party except Aerie but she's not a high level mage. She's multiclassed. For example When Nalia exp is 3.000.000 (18. level), Aerie will have only 1.500.000 xp (14.level) There's 4 level difference! Unfortunately Nalia is the best mage in game for good characters off course. Too bad there isnt a "good-hearted" Edwin

Well if u were who you will kick up and pick then?
Old 08-18-2001, 02:27 PM   #2
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:
I'm at chapter 2 and I'm 5 people Me (Fighter), Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, Yoshimatsu. Anomen, Nalia and Korgan wants to join me.

Here's my ideas I'm waiting for your comments. It's very enjoying to hear the ideas of other people and discuss.

1-I won't take Korgan because he's evil. I'm good.

2-I'll fire Jaheira because she's multi-classed. She's not good as a fighter her STR is only 15! And she's multi-classed.

3-I'll keep Yoshi 'til I find a good thief. I'll replace her with Imoen or Jan later.

4-Minsc rocks. He's my ranger.

5-How can I kick you Aerie my love. WEll its IMPOSSIBLE to have romance with NALIA so she's fine. She's not best mage or cleric in game I know but every party needs a 2nd spellcaster. She's got lots of speels.

6-I'm a fighter so I dont have any mage in my party except Aerie but she's not a high level mage. She's multiclassed. For example When Nalia exp is 3.000.000 (18. level), Aerie will have only 1.500.000 xp (14.level) There's 4 level difference! Unfortunately Nalia is the best mage in game for good characters off course. Too bad there isnt a "good-hearted" Edwin

Well if u were who you will kick up and pick then?
MINOR SPOILER:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
As a good-aligned character, replace Jaheira with Anomen (he is weaker as a cleric than Jaheira, but if you do his quest right he improves immensely, and turns good to boot). Though her summons and anti-mage spells are nice, they are not absolutely necessary. You MUST take Nalia, for a short time at least (without spoiling too much, let's just say that since your protagonist is a fighter, you DEFINITELY want to do her quest and accept her offer afterwards). I would replace Yoshi with Jan. With his items, Jan is actually a better thief than Yoshi, and he has mage spells to boot (he is multiclassed, though; however, the reduced thieving abilities that Yoshi gets for being a bounty hunter makes up the difference). He is not as good at stealth, but you can always just turn him invisible (counts as hiding for purposes of backstabbing). This will give you 3 mages (a bit magic heavy, but nothing wrong with extra magic artillery), 2 clerics (one of whom is a decent front-line fighter), a good thief for disarming traps and opening locks, and 2 warriors (with Anomen technically being a third, since he has 7 levels in fighter and you can raise him to grandmastery in a weapon).

When you get Imoen back (a ways away), replace Jan with her. She is not as good of a thief (by then you will have plenty of items/potions to raise these abilities when needed; she is actually good enough to finish the game with), plus she levels faster as a mage. Just get as many scroll cases as you can get, and before you go rescue her, fill up the cases with a copy of each of the spells you can find (NEVER sell any spell that all of your party members know until you reserve a copy for her). The xp she will get from memorizing all of these scrolls will help catch her up with the rest of the party. Also, bring a potion of genius along to help with this (raises her intelligence, which allows easier learning of spells plus no restriction on number of spells per level). Plus, there are plot reasons that a good character would want to get her back (I will not spoil you on this).

Thus, when you finally get Imoen back, you will have an all-good party that will be strong through the game (and into ToB).

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 08-18-2001, 02:55 PM   #3
deathknight
Drow Warrior

good advice on the scroll thing with imoen. I believe that experience is divided out to the whole party though so best bet is to kick everyone out but imoen when she learns her scrolls
Old 08-18-2001, 03:33 PM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by deathknight:
good advice on the scroll thing with imoen. I believe that experience is divided out to the whole party though so best bet is to kick everyone out but imoen when she learns her scrolls
Actually, since he is pursuing a romance with Aerie, leave her in, too...kicking her out will end the romance. Besides, since she will be the only multiclassed character in the party (thus a little slower to level), this will help her out a bit.

Everyone else I would kick out, though (this is less people to share the xp with; just tell them all to wait right there, so you can just add them right back in).

Final note, right when you do this, save the game, quit, then set the game level to Normal. This allows you to memorize spells automatically (no failure chance); just save, quit, and reset the level back again when you are done. This way you don't waste any scrolls.

------------------

Old 08-18-2001, 05:26 PM   #5
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

Well, Zoltan,
I have to take exception to your view that, Jaheira, sucks; 1st, being mulitclass has its's obvious advantages, they may level up slower but you get a positive tradeoff. 2nd, give, Jaheira, a belt of strenth or gaunlets of ogre power and she kicks major a$$ with the best of them, suggestion, give her the +2 belm scimitar and you will see what I mean.

Best, IrishHound

------------------
" When I read about the evils of drinking, I quit reading "
Old 08-18-2001, 06:58 PM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by IrishHound:
Well, Zoltan,
I have to take exception to your view that, Jaheira, sucks; 1st, being mulitclass has its's obvious advantages, they may level up slower but you get a positive tradeoff. 2nd, give, Jaheira, a belt of strenth or gaunlets of ogre power and she kicks major a$$ with the best of them, suggestion, give her the +2 belm scimitar and you will see what I mean.

Best, IrishHound

Even though I have played with Jaheira, I still would tend to side with Anomen. There is something to be said with being able to grandmaster in a weapon. A dual-classed fighter can do this; a multiclassed fighter can't (at least it wouldn't let me do it with her). However, going to Trademeet is an absolute must if you have Jaheira, due to all of the magical weapons that she can use that are available in that area. I still think she rocks best using the Sling of Everard, especially if you make it a priority to buy it relatively early (or the Sling of Seeking and the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, since this would add strength bonuses to both missle and melee attacks).

------------------

Old 08-18-2001, 07:33 PM   #7
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

True, Nerull, that you can grandmaster if and only if the second class you change to is a fighter, Anomen's second class is cleric, so how are you grandmastering him? All types of characters have their strengths, you just have to see them!

Sidenote, Nerull, got the latest patch, but do I still need to use the SOA patch along with the TOB patch?

Best, IrishHound

------------------
" When I read about the evils of drinking, I quit reading "
Old 08-18-2001, 08:18 PM   #8
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by IrishHound:
True, Nerull, that you can grandmaster if and only if the second class you change to is a fighter, Anomen's second class is cleric, so how are you grandmastering him? All types of characters have their strengths, you just have to see them!

Sidenote, Nerull, got the latest patch, but do I still need to use the SOA patch along with the TOB patch?

Best, IrishHound

Actually, as long as your class WAS fighter (single class) at one point, you can grandmaster. I did this with a berserker changed to cleric; once I got my berserker levels back, I was adding slots to warhammer, and eventually got it to grandmaster that way. In effect, it allows you to use your cleric slots to fill with fighter weapon proficiencies, but only in weapons that the cleric can use (thus, you can grandmaster in mace after you get the levels back, but not in long swords, since clerics can't use long swords). Tested it, and it works for dual classing to mages and thieves, too. With those, there is no weapon restriction, of course, since clerics and druids are special cases.

You only need to use the ToB patch, not the SoA patches. In fact, I don't know if the SoA patches will screw up your game or not (have seen people where it has if they had ToB installed). The site is www.bioware.com.

------------------

Old 08-18-2001, 09:14 PM   #9
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
...You MUST take Nalia, for a short time at least (without spoiling too much, let's just say that since your protagonist is a fighter, you DEFINITELY want to do her quest and accept her offer afterwards).
I'm not too sure why you are using the word "must" as this is not the case. You can very well do all the chapters without having her in your party even a second. And if you are talking about her keep, then even more since she just joins you there if she's not on your party. They are very few characters that you "must" get in your party to do a quest. Some you will have to, some you'll simply say "No thanks, I'll do it myself".

Old 08-18-2001, 09:28 PM   #10
Starkiller
The Magister

Jaheira may kind of suck now, but her druid abilities make her great. She is a pretty damn good fighter with some strength raising apparel, and the spell "iron skins" just gives her that extra edge over other fighters. Just send her in with Nature's beuty cast just before she enters meelee, and she is, as I said, DAMN good...but the real thrill comes in ToB, not her specifically, but lets just say Druids are very nifty at higher levels, and, come on, don't tell me you are going to take that other guY? (I know his name thank you, but I refuse to honor him by using it.)

------------------
"Not everything ends the way you think it should"