Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2000, 01:47 PM   #11
iyke

I've been told that System Shock II i supposed to be the best RPG. (Also Vampire is meant to be good, but very linear).Any game will have to work really hard to beat BG 2 for me, its just so immersive.

Incidentally, the old game described above sounds a lot like 'Black Crystal' - anyone remember that one ?

I tried to play one of the 'Might and Magic' games once, having really enjoyed Heroes, but found it piss poor.

Old 11-18-2000, 01:55 PM   #12
Yrvinn

Letts begin whit the best:

1. Baldurs Gate 2
2. Baldurs Gate
3. Icewind Dale
4. Diablo (Not Diablo 2)

My most favoritt is probely gonna be Never Winternights when it comes out.

Old 11-18-2000, 03:38 PM   #13
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

1. Baldur's Gate
2. Baldur's Gate 2
3. Fallout 2
4. Fallout 1
5. Diablo 2
6. Betrayal at Krondor (The original RPG that got me totally hooked on them)

Good Poll!
Old 11-18-2000, 07:07 PM   #14
Suul-Yinn

OK as an oldie I can remember playing with pen and paper so for traditional roleplaying:
1. Runequest, more accurate combat and very different feel to AD&D
2. AD&D, the first and best?
3. Tunnels & Trolls, great for encouraging creative thinking as it was very unrestrictive and excellent solo books.

For Computer RPGs
1. Any Black Isle game, best so far BG2
2. Eye of the Beholder series, played these on an Amiga!
3. Ultima series
4. Deus Ex, superb cross of stealth-em-up, shooter and RPG
5. Final Fantasy 7, a brilliant story with some extremely moving moments. Better than 8

If you are not familiar with some of the older titles, ask your dad!

I would love to play a superhero RPG in the vein of champions on the PC, with the sort of depth that Black Isle manage. What do you think?

Old 11-18-2000, 07:23 PM   #15
Armisael

Argh, how did I forget Fallout? They're both sitting right there on my freaking shelf... well, it was late when I posted; that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. : P I'll rewrite that list.

1. BG2
2. Fallout 2
3. Ultima 7
4. BG1
5. Fallout

Fallout was an innovation if ever there was one... a decent post-apocalyptic (as opposed to fantasy, fantasy, fantasy) CRPG. Fine game. Hmm, four out of five of those games are from Black Isle.

System Shock 2... it was a pretty good game. Incredible atmosphere. The lack of any NPCs to interact with, though, kind of left me feeling a little empty at the end. Okay, so I'm weird. : P

Old 11-18-2000, 07:35 PM   #16
Sir Rich

I'd have to rank them as such...

1. Baldur's Gate 2
2. Ultima 5 (the first real RPG I played, played it on my Apple IIc)
3. Ultima 7 (Black Gate and Serpent Isle combined)
4. Baldur's Gate 1
5. Phantasy Star III (I liked the whole generational thing)
6. Fallout 1 and 2
7. Diablo 2
8. Ultima 6
9. Icewind Dale
10. BladeRunner

Old 11-18-2000, 07:51 PM   #17
Tara

I noticed quite a few of you have played Ice Wind Dale- this one intrigues me- am thinking about getting it for when I finally wear out on BG2. Keeping in mind that I got a little bored with BG1- what's it like? As interesting as BG2? How would you describe it?

Aso interested in hearing more about Fallout 1 & 2 and Diablo 1 & 2.

Old 11-18-2000, 08:04 PM   #18
Armisael

Fallout (I preferred Fallout 2 - it lasted a lot longer than the original, and there weren't those annoying time constraints) is basically an RPG based somewhere in the future, where a nuclear holocaust has wiped out most of the world, and the nuclear fallout (hence the name) keeps what remains hostile and barely inhabitable. There are these things called Vaults - sort of like really big bomb shelters, but all poorly made and inadequately stocked. You're an inhabitant of one of these Vaults, and you're sent out to find a part for a broken down computer. Great game. I loved the idea. Very original and well thought-out.

Old 11-18-2000, 08:43 PM   #19
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed in Icewind Dale. Sure the game play/interface/engine was the usual great Black Isle quality..... But the game was too linear for me. Not enough places to explore. Each map was small. The quests needed to be done in sequence. I felt very disappointed.

One the main reasons I enjoy the BG games, and the Fallout games is that you can explore all over the map in any order. Makes the game very interesting and varied. Lots of random encounters in Fallout too, which is entertaining.

Just wanted to add 2 more cents
Old 11-18-2000, 08:55 PM   #20
Tara

Ewwwwwwwww- don't like linear!! I want to explore, plunder, shop, (hey- I'm a girl you know), and quest! What are the least linear games- those I want to hear about. That's why I'm waiting (and waiting- and waiting) for Morrowind.