Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-01-2004, 05:53 PM   #1
Morgawr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I love RPG's and have recently invested in the internet (obviously) and have been hearing about MMORPG's.

Just wondered what is the best around and what people think of them.
Heard they are a bit of a life drainer, so i can kiss my social life goodbye.

Also is there subscription fees?

Cheers
Old 11-01-2004, 05:55 PM   #2
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Well, you might want to take a look at the Misc. games forum, there is a load of threads about this over there. What sorta stuff are you into?
Old 11-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #3
Morgawr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm currently going through Wizardry 8, have played Morrowind: Elder scrolls, Final Fantasy 1-10, Both baldurs gate (1&2) and Icewind Dale (1&2).

So pretty much everything that has rpg written after it.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:04 PM   #4
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

NWN is worth a shot if you plan on playing online. IW even has its own server. Make sure you get the expansion packs with it though.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:21 PM   #5
Nightcloak
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As a person who has spent most of his time begging his parents for CRPG's that basically only focus around online gameplay, I do have a few words to share.

As you know, and I can undoubtly tell, you've invested your time scourging the grounds of offline CRPG's. This leaves you and I in different boats. As a person who has tried out MMORPGs and those online RPG's that do not require an active monthly subscription, it is rarely what your going to expect.

If you think you're going to find your self immersed in a rich story with epic battles between guilds and kingdoms you will find your self very wrong. I to sought after this concept, as I wanted a rich environment. Very rarely (unless its NWN) you will find good roleplayers. The roleplayers on Ultima Online have died out since last I checked. Most MMORPGs have become a powergamers wet dream. You will have to deal with the annoying kiddies (although I may self may be one) who only concern themselves with player griefing and waiting around to clear the next dungeon spawn.

Now, NWN is in fact a great game, with infinite replayability due to user contribution. However, the online aspect in my honest opinion only works when you have a regular DMed session game. Don't fall for the persistant world crap. In there its all about leveling, and you will be 1 of at least 30, which means it is usually hard to come by DMed ran quests for yourself.

I have learned the hardway. I have come to realize that online RPG's can never work properly unless the effort and mindframe of true RPer's are put into it. As has always been the answer of the Elder Scrolls developers, they rather focus an a complete open ended world with a rich story and endless possibilities, then a dumbed down online CRPG.

My advice to you, since I see you have basically played all the very good offline CRPG's that I would reccomend, is to wait for Morrowind: Oblivion. You can also replay some of those CRPG's, BG2: SoA has great replay value.

I have learned the hardway, and now I am making my first journey through the lands of Amn.

[ 11-01-2004, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Nightcloak ]
Old 11-01-2004, 06:29 PM   #6
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgawr:
I'm currently going through Wizardry 8, have played Morrowind: Elder scrolls, Final Fantasy 1-10, Both baldurs gate (1&2) and Icewind Dale (1&2).

So pretty much everything that has rpg written after it.
Huh, I know where you got your name from! Hop over to the "Forum Names" thread if you havn't and tell people where it's from! My forum name at strategy first Disciples 2 and my DnD character is Jarka Ruus!

Anyway, I'm a big Wizardry 8 fan. If you like turn-based rpg, it's hard to beat, and hard to find.

..and welcome (in case you're new!)

..oh, I'm playing FF1 right now too!

[ 11-01-2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 11-01-2004, 08:47 PM   #7
Morgawr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightcloak:
As a person who has spent most of his time begging his parents for CRPG's that basically only focus around online gameplay, I do have a few words to share.

As you know, and I can undoubtly tell, you've invested your time scourging the grounds of offline CRPG's. This leaves you and I in different boats. As a person who has tried out MMORPGs and those online RPG's that do not require an active monthly subscription, it is rarely what your going to expect.

If you think you're going to find your self immersed in a rich story with epic battles between guilds and kingdoms you will find your self very wrong. I to sought after this concept, as I wanted a rich environment. Very rarely (unless its NWN) you will find good roleplayers. The roleplayers on Ultima Online have died out since last I checked. Most MMORPGs have become a powergamers wet dream. You will have to deal with the annoying kiddies (although I may self may be one) who only concern themselves with player griefing and waiting around to clear the next dungeon spawn.

Now, NWN is in fact a great game, with infinite replayability due to user contribution. However, the online aspect in my honest opinion only works when you have a regular DMed session game. Don't fall for the persistant world crap. In there its all about leveling, and you will be 1 of at least 30, which means it is usually hard to come by DMed ran quests for yourself.

I have learned the hardway. I have come to realize that online RPG's can never work properly unless the effort and mindframe of true RPer's are put into it. As has always been the answer of the Elder Scrolls developers, they rather focus an a complete open ended world with a rich story and endless possibilities, then a dumbed down online CRPG.

My advice to you, since I see you have basically played all the very good offline CRPG's that I would reccomend, is to wait for Morrowind: Oblivion. You can also replay some of those CRPG's, BG2: SoA has great replay value.

I have learned the hardway, and now I am making my first journey through the lands of Amn.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:52 PM   #8
Morgawr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Night: Thank you for the advice, judging by some of the answers i have got and from the websites i have looked at i think i will take your advice and wait. My main reason is i have heard it is very hard to join a thriving online community as a newb. (get killed very quickly by more experienced players)
I'm thinking of giving Everquest 2 a try.

Variol: Thanks for the welcome. I will post a note on the name thread.
I prefer FF7 but they are all classics in their own way.
If you have a ps1 or 2 i would also recommend Vagrant story as something different and quite involving.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:57 PM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I'm just playing FF1 on an emulator. I've never played 7 but I sounds like it's close to the best.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:07 PM   #10
Morgawr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah you never get bored of the miny games (chocobo racing and breeding)
I've played through it about 5 times now and it never ages.

You can get it on PC but it is VERY hard to come by.

I sold my PC version this year on Ebay and it went for over £60. Impressive.

BTW - how do you change the colour of the font?