Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 01-01-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

As Missy Hissy approached, she noticed that some of the walls seemed to shimmer and fade. Stepping up, she saw three holes, each similar in shape to the stone tablets she had picked up under the sea in Collaseum. Curious... who would have brought the tablets to that underwater city? As she fitted the tablets into the holes, they grew strangely warm, and stuck in place. Fitting the last, she looked around and saw a lever, just like she had seen so long ago in the crypt. Pulling it, she watched the giant doors grind closed, and another pair open.

Missy’s eyes adjusted to the dim light, and she followed the narrow tunnel until it opened to a large room, where half a dozen mummies suddenly appeared. Dispatching them to dust and bone with dual daggers, she soon saw another doorway. Following it, she came upon another room with chests and within those chests, a number of empty flasks. Grabbing a couple, she moved onward to another battle, this time with giant pit fiends. Steel again showed the way, and to the far west, she found a pool of strange water. She filled two of the flasks in case they proved useful, or simply to sell to the next blithering city fool whose idea of adventure was going out to drink without permission.

She found a hidden room with the final Tome of Creation; sticking it in her pack, she made the note to stop and visit Sensei Asami when she got back to Brimloch Roon. They might be of interest to him.

She found more creatures, all of whom fell to her blade, and more chests, but little of interest. She passed a triple-trapped floor, her reflexes saving her from falling through all three traps. She passed it by walking across a narrow beam, dispatching the pit fiend who was waiting on the other side.

Along the way, she kept seeing signs of fresh movement in the pyramid, but not from anything specific. Dust was cleared away here; cobwebs brushed aside there; an occasional bloodstain spattered the floor, as if someone else had recently done battle. Still, there were plenty of beasties to taste her steel.

She made her way past a sliding wall, again regretting that she had not set a portal at the entry of the pyramid. One of these days, she’d remember to do that... She passed a small library, in which she found a small treasure hidden away, but nothing that truly interested her. Then a low moan whispered through the air, and unsheathing her wizard blade, she crept forward.

She found the ancient lich G’Ezzered Ra, his chest ripped open with his ribs sticking out, a gaping maw where his heart should have been. Or whatever cold, pitiless organ fueled his black magic-powered body.

“Help me,” he wheezed.

“Why?” asked Missy, putting away her blade. It was clear that he was no danger to her.

“Lord Cet tricked me to eternal life,”rasped the lich, “and now he has tricked me to eternal death. He needed the spot of black fire in the relic, and he has rekindled the black fire here. But to * cough * show his displeasure with me, he has ripped my heart out and hidden it here. I cannot die while it beats, and I cannot live, now that I see how he used my own greed against me.”

Missy looked him up and down. “So? Looks like you’re getting some of what’s coming to you.”

G’Ezzered Ra spat on the ground. “Do you think I’m his only pawn? Pfaugh! Others, including you, are his playthings. Would you stop him in his game? Or shall that contract be fulfilled?”

Missy whirled close, her wizard blade out and a hair’s breadth from the lich’s throat. “What do you know about the contract?”

“Little, except that it was written some hundred years ago. I wrote it, at her request. As usual, the victims didn’t exist yet. That came later, when the contract was given. It was the sixth contract she’d had me write... the other five were fulfilled. You,” he said, as he raised his ghastly head, “you were different. You survived. That gave them hope.”

“Hope for what? And who is ‘them’?” Missy was getting angry. So close to the truth, yet so far away.

“I will tell you the rest when you bring my heart back and throw it in the black fire over there. Part of his cruelty... chaining me here, in sight of the only thing that can release me.”

“You tell me now, or-“

“Or what?” sneered the lich. “Killing me would be a blessing, if you could do it. And once I tell you, you may leave, leaving me here for eternity. No, bring my heart back and put me out of my misery, and I will tell you. No need to hurry... I have plenty of time! Ah-hah-hah-hah-hah....”

Missy left the cackling lich and retreated to Brimloch Roon for a brief respite. Somehow, she felt the next bit of her life would be very interesting.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 04:01 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Nice job on both chapters today [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 04:35 PM   #3
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Tension building up, I sense.

Missy is close to learning the secret of the plot now. I am also looking forward. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Just the retrieval of the heart stands between her and the unravelling of the mystery. Now… I wonder in whose custody she finds the heart. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

[ 01-01-2004, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 01-04-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

ooooo nice conversation between Missy and the Lich!! Puts me right on the edge of my seat!!
(fortunately I'm so far behind, I get to go to the next chapter without having to wait! )

Wyv