Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 01-21-2001, 11:17 AM   #1
carg
The Magister

So my third party is far into the game. This time I tried a solo character, starting with warrior. Hard in the beginning, but no challenge later on. He's 23th level assassin and just did skull castle. Now I want to get a tree seed before Anephas' shrine to get the 3rd wizard quest.
Robbing Oakenmir with skill 10 gave no seed, so when he got angry I thought: what the h..., let's see how far I get. So I cast no spells, just hacked away until he fell. It cost me exactly 100 hp. The summoned trees I cleared away with 3 firestorms because I didn't feel like slashing at that moment. Then the rotten tree (by now ) didn't even leave a seed!
Anyway: the game (at hard, freq. spawn) is just too easy. The biggest problems were late fire magic, so no illuminate in the first dungeons, and no earth magic at all. I was afraid about afflictions, but I only got turned to stone once (the naga, before I even hit her once!), and (because of a bug?) I could still control the game when sleeping, paralyzed and insane. I could even cure them myself. And the damage done keeps increasing: my record now is 240 with one blow of my 4x damage-blessed sword of argus, while cloaked in shadows and with a few frenzies, bloodlusts and heroic mights.
So when I start a 4th time I plan on trying a single mage, and try some self-inflicted restrictions to keep the latter stages of the game more of a challenge. But what restrictions would not make the beginning impossible, but keep the rest hard? What would you suggest?
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 02:43 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I suppose having to go blindfolded and with one arm tied behind your back is not a suitable option? hmmm

Limiting which spell classes you can use? - like no Spirit, Moon and Fiend?

Would that be a challenge??
How about having to wear cursed armor?? (Lily's cursed armor comes to mind)

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 05:50 PM   #3
carg
The Magister

No moon spells is a challenge: in boredom! E.g. having to go through the shrine all the time is not my idea of a challenge. Doing without fiend is not enough of a challenge, but spirit? I'd sorely miss spirit eye and restore health, but it might be possible. Same for vine. Doing without sun (illuminate) is no fun.
I thought more in the lines of:
- sell nothing, so your money is limited. But this might be too limiting at the start.
- set spawn to seldom and do only what's absolutely necessary for the game. That way you get much less Xp.
Old 01-21-2001, 06:02 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Agree with you on the spell options! (but you did say you wanted a challenge!!)
How about sell nothing after Ishad N'hahahaha???
That would allow you to at least get through the first part but increase the challenge later?

Surely someone else has some really terrific ideas to offer???!!!???

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 06:07 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Play the game without:

1) Blessing or enchanting any item, including armor or weapons

2) Invoking any ankh

3) changing class once (has anyone played all the way through as a Warrior, or Wizard, without changing class?)

4) completing any side quests (never ascending in any guild, so you're limited to the 1st level items and training)

5) Never purchasing anything; only equipping what you find, be it cursed or not

These are some "die-hard" ideas...any others?

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 08:51 PM   #6
Moni

Play with one character, a Ratling Wizard.
; )
Moni
Old 01-22-2001, 02:45 PM   #7
Lily the Ranger

Play as a pixie thief . . . you can't even guild until Ishad N'ha. "Hey, Chosen One, flutter your pitiful little personage outta my tavern!" Winning with this character would be like saving the world with a butterfly!
Old 01-22-2001, 03:20 PM   #8
Gauleiter

I have saved the world with a butterfly... but he was a Wizard, so he cast his way out of everything

Definitely stop blessing/enchanting things; that makes the latter half of the game *way* too easy. Also, I enjoy not purchasing anything, just playing with what I find.

Though it can be really restricting later in the game, not training in anything can be interesting; the only way you level up is through experience that way, and the only traits you gain are from changing classes, special items, and random things like what Jathil gives you.

No spirit magic is definitely interesting, especially when combined with the no purchasing items restriction (no heal potions, just whatever you find lying about).
Old 01-22-2001, 03:40 PM   #9
Lily the Ranger

Lepidoptera Dominatus!
Old 01-22-2001, 04:25 PM   #10
carg
The Magister

I'm planning on starting with a 1st level rogue, learn traps and locks and then immediately switch to valkyrie! (I do need some help from my 46th level assassin and some resurrection scrolls for that I guess )
Then no more class changes, and only join fighter and priest guild (if I'm allowed; I'm not sure).
Probably combined with no selling anything and no training of known skills at the guild.
Problem: according to the manual Valkyrie's can only learn spirit and stone. So where do I get my Illuminate?
Well, I'll think about it some further.