Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 05:51 AM   #1
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Wow. I just downloaded a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and have been blasting away at it for the past half hour. So many childhood memories have come flooding back! I loved this game (and others like it) so much when I was younger! I'm getting some serious nostalgia here... memories of squabbling over gamepad controllers with friends ('It's my turn! No MY turn!'), and wasting countless dollars at video arcades on games like Streetfighter Two and Double Dragon... wow, when I think about it it was a pretty crazy way to spend one's childhood. I wonder how we of the electronic generation shall turn out when we reach middle and old age

Anyways, if you're a computer/video gamer from way back, what were your childhood favourites? When was the last time you fired them up?

I'd have to say that my all-time favourite childhood game was probably Monkey Island 2:Lechuck's Revenge. I copied it off've a friend when I was 8 or 9. Great game, I wasted so many sunny childhood days cooped up inside playing that masterpiece.... why the hell did my parents allow that???
Old 11-27-2004, 05:55 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Ahhhh, the memmories..
I remember our family buying a video camera and getting a SEGA Master system with it...
And of coarse, it had Alex the Kid on it...Me and dad, would play that game for hours....That and a birds eye teenage Mutant ninja turtle game on the PC.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:31 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I remember spending a fortune on Streetfighter and Double Dragon. And even before that there was Combat on the Atari.

But the games I remember from my childhood the most were Ultima III, Ultima IV and the Bard's Tale.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 08:47 AM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Duke Nukem, Quake, NFS, Fifa 98...
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 09:43 AM   #5
dplax
Jack Burton

Several games on the commodore. Some of them: Commandos, Last Ninja then there was a sort of strategy game where you had to capture islands one after the other. Then on the PC I played Wizardry 7 and Civilization a LOT.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Pong(!); Mortal Kombat 1, 2, 3; Star Trek: Something(nintendo); Dangerous Dave; PopCorn; Wolfenstein 3D; Hot Rod; Scorched Earth.
Man, those really are oldtimers now!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 05:21 PM   #7
Lucern
Quintesson

When I was 9, Maniac Mansion was the first PC game I ever saw, and I thought it was so cool.

I spent many a holiday playing Space Quest 1, Quest for Glory 1 and 2, later Master of Magic, Legend of Kyrandia, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Betrayal at Krondor, Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games, TIE Fighter, and good ole Warcraft.

And on the console, Golden Axe 2 and NHL 94 for Genesis, and Dragon's Lair and Lunar 1 were favorites for Sega CD.

Now that I think about it, I'm amazed I'm not really pale and overweight for all that lack of childhood activity. Okay I'm pretty pale lol. It taught me to type though [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Home of the Underdogs site is great by the way, some of those old games are indeed masterpieces - it's like playing other people's childhood favorites. Other times it's like playing other people's games that they played once and stuffed in a closet or gave away. I collect old games anyway.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:38 PM   #8
Legolas
Jack Burton

I fondly remember UFO: Enemy Unknown and Master of Orion. Both games which I still enjoy playing. I played One Must Fall earlier today as I noticed I still had the folder; and though it only took four hours to build a character from scratch to maximum I found it's surprisingly well balanced and in-depth. Since it's an Epic game, it naturally has me remembering Jazz now.
As for Monkey Island, I think the first it best. If only because of the swordplay.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:44 PM   #9
elvis-werewolf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Bards Tale - what an amazing game, went back and replayed it about 2 years ago and still loved it.

Also loved The Ancient Art of War.
elvis-werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:49 PM   #10
Lucern
Quintesson

I really liked all those games you mentioned Legolas. The swordplay in Monkey Island was hilarious...as was that part with the 3 headed monkey. I didn't actually play UFO, but I played Terror From the Deep all the way through. I also played OMF a few months ago.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote