Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 09-20-2003, 11:22 PM   #1
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

willowix's link in the tech tips to virtual dub resulted in a file that winzip couldn't open. Winzip called it an "invalid archive".
Has anyone else had this problem? Or is it just my machine?
This is the 3rd time I have tried it in the last few months.
Is there a better link?
Old 09-20-2003, 11:43 PM   #2
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

On further investigation I have found a better link;
http://flow.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc...lDub-1.5.4.zip
Now to see if I can follow Willowix's instructions to get my game to work properly.
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 01:00 AM   #3
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

BTW virtualdub does a good job. It is important to follow the instructions precisley. I couldn't get it to work until I reread the instructions & closed vdub everytime I needed to replace a file. If you dont it says the file is in use & wont let you change it.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:31 AM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

Hi Kev. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] Long time no see. I have a question for you regarding the link in the tech thread. Does it download teh file at all? I mean do you see the box "downloaded: 231 of 893kB" or whatever? If you see that I think the error lies on your hard drive and not with the link. Run a complete scandisk of your drive. I tried it and encountered no problems at all! If you do have this problem download the file once more and it might work.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:35 PM   #5
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi willowix

It is nice to be back & to see a lot of the old names still here. My new pc can even hear the music in the game. My only complaint is that I no longer have time to make a coffee as it loads between areas.

It took a while to build my new pc. I was hoping to incorporate some bits that I already had at home but they didn't end up being compatable with what I wanted.

I tried to get virtualdub to work a couple of months ago but I was too lazy to see why it wouldn't. I went & played baldurs gate 2 instead.

That link does download something, but I think it is only the shortcut. It is only a 16kb download. The virtualdub program on my link above is 316kb.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:05 AM   #6
Olli Kalma

Hi kev!

I just 'virtualdubbed' my townmsk.avi's yesterday,
I had Virtualdub program, cause I use it in other ways too.
But still have to came here and look introductions from Tech Tip's post [img]smile.gif[/img]

I formated my hard drive again, and losed all game data, including my Pixie rogue solo character!
I managed to get her into Serpent Temple!
That was hard!
Imagine, small female Pixie and cannot join into guilds untill Ishad'nha!
Huh!

Now I'm working 'little fellow party', as I called it.
Ratling male warrior
Pixie female wizard and
Gnome female priest.

It's hard to keep them alive at the beginning of the game, but
after that it's quite easy.
I killed Scabban's evils and now I'm in the crypt.
Whis me a luck!

and kev, congratulations about your new cp!
But don't give up drinking coffee! Just hit pause for a while
Old 09-23-2003, 10:22 AM   #7
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi Olli,

So there is a pause button! I've never needed to use it before.

I've just finished the crypt with my new party & if I can get Shinwiki to open the trapdoor I will be off to kill Scabbans Evil apprentices myself.

If I had the choice again I would leave xp & stick to millenium. Someone must of used the password for my edition of xp so I had a lot of trouble getting the service pack 1 installed. Whenever I want to install an update I have to find a password that hasn't been used before. It just gets too complicated.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:07 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by kev:
Hi willowix

It is nice to be back & to see a lot of the old names still here. My new pc can even hear the music in the game. My only complaint is that I no longer have time to make a coffee as it loads between areas.

It took a while to build my new pc. I was hoping to incorporate some bits that I already had at home but they didn't end up being compatable with what I wanted.

I tried to get virtualdub to work a couple of months ago but I was too lazy to see why it wouldn't. I went & played baldurs gate 2 instead.

That link does download something, but I think it is only the shortcut. It is only a 16kb download. The virtualdub program on my link above is 316kb.
You're not right clicking the logos to the left and chosing "Save target as" are you? If I do that I get a 17kB file. But all the other mirrors work for me (clicking where it says 695kB). Even the Sydney mirror works, I guess that's the one you tried.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 12:04 PM   #9
Olli Kalma

Quote:
Originally posted by kev:
Someone must of used the password for my edition of xp so I had a lot of trouble getting the service pack 1 installed. Whenever I want to install an update I have to find a password that hasn't been used before. It just gets too complicated.
Huh! Don't yell that so loud!
Bill has ears in every wall!

But don't worry, I don't download those service packs either,
I have 56 modem at home and it would took ages to download all ( over 50Mb )
packets again everytime I formated hard disk...

So good firewall and virus scanner are enought for me, never
caught virus from net...

And I'm too lazy to go in some friends place and load them by cable and burn into rw...

Now my cp are running quite good, I need that pause key!
    [*]AMD Athlon XP1700+ overlocked into 1600 Mhz[*]Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro 128 Mb[*]Epox 8RDA+ motherboard[*]1024Mb PC3200(DDR400) memory[*]And ofcourse, coffee machine next to cp! ( I drink over 10 cup's of coffee each day.. )[/list]
Old 09-23-2003, 09:13 PM   #10
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Willowix
That link links direct to a download. I tried it again last night & still came up with a 16kb download. I had no problems going to that site & downloading from the Sydney mirror.

Olli
Your pc sounds terrific. I looked at that mb to base mine around but ended up with a soltek mb because it had a geforce4 card built in. I can upgrade the video when I require more. I like the amount of ram you are using, that is the next improvement to mine. I didn't see any point in paying extra for ddr400 ram because the xp2600 & the fsb both run at 333mhz. The gains would have been minimal.
amd xp2600
soltek sl75mrnl
512mb pc2700 ram
I should be able to keep this pc up to date for a few years. My last one didn't even have any slots for any sort of plugin & 8mb of video ram wasn't quite enough to play w&w to the end. The last battle would always crash.