Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2002, 06:22 AM   #11
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Personally I'll respect the mods and admin of any forum that I'm on just as much as all of the other members, that is, if the admins and mods are being arrogant or just plain annoying bitches, I'll have little to zero respect for them. If, on the other hand, they show respectful behavior towards me and the other members, I'll return that respect.

Having Mod/Admin status isn't like a magical potion that cures all ill sides of one's personality and instantly makes one a god-like creature requiring respect.

[ 11-23-2002, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Neb ]
Old 11-23-2002, 06:25 AM   #12
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Personally I'll respect the mods and admin of any forum that I'm on just as much as all of the other members, that is, if the admins and mods are being arrogant or just plain annoying bitches, I'll have little to zero respect for them. If, on the other hand, they show respectful behavior towards me and the other members, I'll return that respect.
Well, since the admins and moderators of THIS forum are not arrogant and annoying bitches, then I expect you'll have no problem respecting them then, eh?

Note that you don't have to personally like admins or mods - but on THIS forum you will accept their decisions and accede to their requests, whether you have personality conflicts with them or not. I'm afraid this is not negotiable. If you feel you are being hard-done-by, then email another mod, or email Ziroc. What you choose to do or how you choose to deal with mods/admins on other forums is your own business. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-23-2002, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 11-23-2002, 07:04 AM   #13
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Having Mod/Admin status isn't like a magical potion that cures all ill sides of one's personality and instantly makes one a god-like creature requiring respect.
That attitude cuts both ways. Respect has to be earned, and if anyone, as a member of this forum, wants the respect of the Moderators, that has to be earned as well.

In fact, I'll go further. Consider these two extracts from the "Rules and Regulations"

"About the Moderators: They are kind folks who volunteer their free time to help me maintain this forum and keep it clean of abuse. Note the emphasis on "volunteer" and "free time." Forum moderating is always hard work, and it's impossible to please everyone given the cultural and social diversity of this forum. Do not question the decisions they may make--not Publicly at least. This will get your account suspended quickly. Each of our great Moderators are EXTREMELY non-biased and treat everyone fairly."

and

"Finally, don't come to me with freedom of speech arguments. This is a house. If you insult anyone or act a fool inside my house, I make you leave.

We may not always get everything right, but believe me when I say we don't conduct vendettas or go out of our way to make anyone feel victimised. If you feel a Mod's decision or ruling is unfair, please ask for an explanation by PM to that Mod. If, after an explanation, you still feel unhappy, I'm sure Ziroc would like to know. However, before you get all bent out of shape, please ask yourself if you really need to be a member here if the rules don't let you do what you want.

Sometimes it's better just to find a place where you will feel more comfortable rather than trying to change this place to conform to your requirements

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 11-23-2002, 07:14 AM   #14
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Well, Mouse, PM'ing a mod WOULD be the "By The Book" solution. But I remember a while ago when Lavindathar had a thread of his deleted without explanation, appanrently his PM's/emails were ignored.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:26 AM   #15
Sigmar
Unicorn

I'm suprised to see that there has been a need for a thread like this, it's probably just a rebellious phase, it'll pass soon I suspect.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:39 AM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Well, Mouse, PM'ing a mod WOULD be the "By The Book" solution. But I remember a while ago when Lavindathar had a thread of his deleted without explanation, appanrently his PM's/emails were ignored.
Actually, you are wrong about this. If we are talking about the same thread, what Lav told me was that he was not aware that there was a rule that didn't allow inquiring about deleted threads, which was why he posted inquiring (complaining) about it. He did not email/PM anyone inquiring about the deleted thread. Let's get our facts right.

Having said that, two wrongs don't make a right. If one mod doesn't reply to you, email another one.

In any case, all this is beside my original point - it doesn't change the sentiment of my initial post above. If an IW moderator gives you a direction (which would only be if you were breaking the rules) then I expect you to accede to their wishes. Even if you hate their guts (hypothetically). Grit your teeth and do it.

That's the way that is, and that is a condition of participation here. If you don't think you were doing the wrong thing, but feel you have a personal issue with that mod which is causing you to be picked-on, then email another one of us to help you resolve the issue. If you feel you have a personal issue with all of us, and don't like the way the forum is run, well, I'd wonder why you were still here.

Old 11-23-2002, 08:40 AM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Good thread!

Moderators here try to do the best they can to keep the forum free of flaming and trolling. They do their best to enforce the rules the Webmaster has made. They aren't paid employees, they're volunteers.

I know that I don't actually enjoy having to lock a thread or warn members about rules infractions. I'd rather have a forum where we didn't need to do any of that. But it's not the way things are, so we do our best to keep the forum a comfortable place to read and post for the majority of the members.

I know that the mods here are well-intentioned and do the best job they can. I also know that most days this place runs smoothly and members have fun, learn new things and interact in a lot of positive ways. In the long run, that's what it's all about. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2002, 10:59 AM   #18
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

just wna say "nice to see you doing a good job around here memnoch [img]smile.gif[/img] " for reminding us again what we are suppose to [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-23-2002, 11:11 AM   #19
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hmm wery nice topic this i did not knove that we should respect the mod`s here before this thread! I knove now!
Old 11-23-2002, 11:18 AM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
Hmm wery nice topic this i did not knove that we should respect the mod`s here before this thread! I knove now!
LOL you and your fishing expeditions Megabot...give it up!!