Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 04-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #31
Detherin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Heheh, now Kyrvias, I think that may be a tad broken ^_^. Fun all the same though [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

Trying to say my creations are too cheesy *breaks down and cries*? Ah well, it's what I'm posting up here for : advice ^_^.

Made a bow that creates arrows now, just tested it and it works fine. Going to tweak that up so it looks more like a bow ^_^. Happy days.
Detherin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:02 PM   #32
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Awesome [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bedtime calls as I've got to be at work tomorrow morning, but I'll sort you out an ftp account tomorrow - you should be able to upload without needing to wait for me to get back to you then.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:20 AM   #33
Detherin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks Shamrock, that's really kind of you ^_^.
I'm going to see if I can make a few decent items before the end of the weekend, try and compile it in Weidu (perhaps in it's own store in Waukeen's Promenade or something).

Really appreciate your help ^_^.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #34
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Detherin:
Ah well, it's what I'm posting up here for : advice ^_^
Well, then, I hate to say it but I think a lot of this stuff is overpowered.

Quote:
Wind-Element Wakizashi+5 (may summon Elemental Prince: Chan 1/day, imp haste1/day, +1 apr, +2 AC. *EDIT* Added a 5% chance of Wing Buffet for the hell of it)
1) A +5 one-handed weapon that does not even require an upgrade.
2) Elemental Princes are ToB-level summons.
3) Casts Imp. Haste 1/day.
4) Grants +1 to ApR.
5) Grants -2 AC bonus.
6) 5% chance of Knockback (with additional damage) on hit.
Where the hell do you find this thing, lying on the ground outside your cell in Jon's Dungeon? Of the 6 attributes listed above, any single one of them would be enough to make a weapon balanced and useful, depending of course on the base enchantment of the weapon. The enchantment about Chan is obviously restricted to ToB right from the get-go.

Quote:
Stunning Ninja-To+3 (+25% resistance to electricity, +5 electric damage, 45% chance of stun for 30 seconds, 15% chance of insta-kill, no save.)
Celestial Fury: Oriental +3 sword with a Lightning theme, forces victim to Save vs. Spells on every hit, or be Stunned for 6 seconds.
Silver Sword: 2-Handed +3 Sword, 25% of all hits force victim to Save vs. Death (I forget if there's a bonus/penalty) or die instantly.
Stunning Ninja-To: Oriental +3 sword with a Lightning theme. You mention no Saving Throw on your Stun effect, so I'll just point out that any creature who is Stunned for 5 rounds in a combat situation is as good as dead, meaning that each hit has a 60% chance of killing the victim, with no Save.

I should also mention that I feel Celestial Fury is already an overpowered weapon in its own right: It would be balanced if its Stunning Blow chance occurred on only 15% of its hits, with the existing Saving Throw allowed.

Quote:
Dart of Dreams +5 (Unconscious for 2 rounds unless save vs. death, 60% chance of stat draining 1 point of strength for 5 rounds)
This (and the Dart of Nightmares) are actually pretty neat; tranquilizer darts. Too bad a Blowgun weapon would be impossible to implement. Except I would tweak it a bit:
Spells cast through Wands, Rods or Staves, or even similar items, are canonically supposed to use the vs. Wands Saving Throw, rather than vs. Spells, and it'd be nice to see the 'forgotten three' Saving throws brought back to some sort of relative usefulness. And I'd lose the STR penalty, it makes no sense. So each hit with a Dart of Dreams/Nightmares would:
1) Failing a Save vs. Wands with a -3 bonus, the victim would first be Fatigued for 1 round, then Slowed for 1 round, then Sleep for two rounds.
2) Each hit (no Save) imposes a +1 penalty to the victim's Save vs. Wands for three rounds.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:55 AM   #35
Andraste
Manshoon

I think I'd like something like a 'staff of the geek'.
No hit bonus or damage bonus.
No special effects on hit.
-1 to strength, dexterity and fortitude
sets intelligence to 19

It's for exclusive mages who will be playing no part in melees,. but the question is - would this count as an overpowered weapon in the hands of Aeire?
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:12 AM   #36
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

LMAO, staff of the geek, sounds good.
I saw in somebodies, (cant remember who) signature, sunglasses of coolness +5, i found that really funny (ok i have a very good sense of humor) maybe you could make something like that, i know that it may clash and cause someone to have a charisma of 23, if used in conjunction with rign of human influence, but you might be able to restrict its use to certain classes, or races, or if it is possible, not stack with ring of human influence.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:27 AM   #37
Andraste
Manshoon

I read a review of a fantasy book, that had a comment like "any suspense in the plot was complexly flattened by use of the Hammer +5 of Foreshadowing". It mader me laugh at the time, but I don't think there would be any use for such a weapon in BG.
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:32 AM   #38
Detherin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
quote:
Ah well, it's what I'm posting up here for : advice ^_^
Well, then, I hate to say it but I think a lot of this stuff is overpowered.

Quote:
Wind-Element Wakizashi+5 (may summon Elemental Prince: Chan 1/day, imp haste1/day, +1 apr, +2 AC. *EDIT* Added a 5% chance of Wing Buffet for the hell of it)
1) A +5 one-handed weapon that does not even require an upgrade.
2) Elemental Princes are ToB-level summons.
3) Casts Imp. Haste 1/day.
4) Grants +1 to ApR.
5) Grants -2 AC bonus.
6) 5% chance of Knockback (with additional damage) on hit.
Where the hell do you find this thing, lying on the ground outside your cell in Jon's Dungeon? Of the 6 attributes listed above, any single one of them would be enough to make a weapon balanced and useful, depending of course on the base enchantment of the weapon. The enchantment about Chan is obviously restricted to ToB right from the get-go.

Quote:
Stunning Ninja-To+3 (+25% resistance to electricity, +5 electric damage, 45% chance of stun for 30 seconds, 15% chance of insta-kill, no save.)
Celestial Fury: Oriental +3 sword with a Lightning theme, forces victim to Save vs. Spells on every hit, or be Stunned for 6 seconds.
Silver Sword: 2-Handed +3 Sword, 25% of all hits force victim to Save vs. Death (I forget if there's a bonus/penalty) or die instantly.
Stunning Ninja-To: Oriental +3 sword with a Lightning theme. You mention no Saving Throw on your Stun effect, so I'll just point out that any creature who is Stunned for 5 rounds in a combat situation is as good as dead, meaning that each hit has a 60% chance of killing the victim, with no Save.

I should also mention that I feel Celestial Fury is already an overpowered weapon in its own right: It would be balanced if its Stunning Blow chance occurred on only 15% of its hits, with the existing Saving Throw allowed.

Quote:
Dart of Dreams +5 (Unconscious for 2 rounds unless save vs. death, 60% chance of stat draining 1 point of strength for 5 rounds)
This (and the Dart of Nightmares) are actually pretty neat; tranquilizer darts. Too bad a Blowgun weapon would be impossible to implement. Except I would tweak it a bit:
Spells cast through Wands, Rods or Staves, or even similar items, are canonically supposed to use the vs. Wands Saving Throw, rather than vs. Spells, and it'd be nice to see the 'forgotten three' Saving throws brought back to some sort of relative usefulness. And I'd lose the STR penalty, it makes no sense. So each hit with a Dart of Dreams/Nightmares would:
1) Failing a Save vs. Wands with a -3 bonus, the victim would first be Fatigued for 1 round, then Slowed for 1 round, then Sleep for two rounds.
2) Each hit (no Save) imposes a +1 penalty to the victim's Save vs. Wands for three rounds.
[/QUOTE]Thank you, Six ^_^. This is precicely the kind of advice I need to hear. The items I have made so far have basically been me trying to get used to the two item makers, so I've gotten a tad carried away with most of them .
Some of your comments on my weapons have already been taken into account and removed before you postedc, however ^_^ (Stunning Ninja-To has no insta-kill effect, no improved haste on the wakizashi, dart of dreams now drains a point of dexteriy 40% chance (suggested by someone. But of course, everything you have said is duely taken into account and I will seroiusly degrade all these items.

I'll see if I can implament your suggestions on the Dart of Dreams, but I'm unsure if I'll be able to work out how to code it yet, I'll fiddle around in Cromwell's Smithy and see what I can do ^_^. Thanks again, Six.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:24 AM   #39
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
This is precicely the kind of advice I need to hear. The items I have made so far have basically been me trying to get used to the two item makers, so I've gotten a tad carried away with most of them .
I'll fiddle around in Cromwell's Smithy and see what I can do ^_^.
I hear ya--editing programs can be very tempting, especially since we all want to be gods. Just remember that moderation is the key.

Just remember:
  • Don't make anything that would wouldn't like to have used against you. (Can you imagine the Wind-Element Wakizashi dual-wielded with Belm? That's a minimum of 8 attacks per round, 6 of them with a +5 weapon.)
  • You want to make your items useful alongside the other items in the game, not dominate them completely. Munchkin items tend to take control of everything: Install all the components of Tactics and stay alive by building everything from Item Upgrade--you're not playing Shadows of Amn, you're playing WeimerLand.
  • Start small & simple, and try looking for "holes." For example: There's no need for a 1-handed weapon that does Cold damage, as there are already three of those in the game. But a weapon that adds Magic damage to each hit could be very useful, not least for a Fighter whose only option against a Mordy's Sword is to run away from it. An item only really needs one enchantment to be useful, if the enchantment is unique enough.