Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #21
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Re: Congressman loses his nut on the House floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretMaster View Post
The Republicans ruined it for everyone this time. Saving a person's life transcends all human concepts of nationality, ethnicity, origin. It is a matter of empathy and concern for another life. To deny them recognition because they weren't a member of this country, even when they were still a hero, is assinine.
but if the democrats went for the basic majority vote, wouldn't the republican's ammendment merely have made a delay? (I've said it before, I'll say it again, social studies and American Govt. were my worst subjects in highschool.)

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #22
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
but if the democrats went for the basic majority vote, wouldn't the republican's ammendment merely have made a delay? (I've said it before, I'll say it again, social studies and American Govt. were my worst subjects in highschool.)
The Democrats opted for a majority vote after learning about how the Republicans wanted to attach this illegal-immigrant stipulation. So a basic chain of events:

Republicans tack on this amendment
Democrats retaliate by going for majority vote
Majority vote fails
Weiner goes on a tirade

I agree with you that both parties in general instigate fights with each other, and both act stupid. I dislike American politics in general because I'm so frustrated with it. But for this particular bill, the Republicans started it this time.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #23
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

The good news is...this bill has been around since Feb. 2009 and, even though it was defeated last week, it is still not dead.

Here are some links to several stories about the bill and last week's vote 9/11 Health Care Bill

Here is the article about efforts to revive the bill for another vote Bid to Revive 9/11 Care Bill

And, just for fun, here is an article describing one way the Democrats share some responsibility in the bill's defeat (in the author's opinion, of course) Which Party Hates 9/11 Heroes More?
There are some interesting comments below the article as well.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #24
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
Reminiscent of (D) Johnson and his fear of Guam capsizing moment of fame.
Please tell me you know that he was joking. Please. If ANYONE here believes that he actually believed an island could flip over, stand up and say so. Own it so I can call you fool.

Making your point in writing is not easy, and we've all had to restate things before to clarify what we meant. Your lack of communication doesn't mean I fell of the turnip truck.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #25
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Please tell me you know that he was joking. Please. If ANYONE here believes that he actually believed an island could flip over, stand up and say so. Own it so I can call you fool.
I suppose that is easier than admitting Johnson looked like a fool.

Quote:
Making your point in writing is not easy, and we've all had to restate things before to clarify what we meant. Your lack of communication doesn't mean I fell of the turnip truck.
I understood what he meant. His point was both coherent and correct.

Last edited by Cerek; 08-07-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Cerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #26
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:

This is what Academy Awards are for right? Even the folks at the huffnpuff are not positive of what you seem to know.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_521541.html

I have heard that some people have that issue with communications, but I would rather like to think that their check-out program may have failed them. Or, they failed themselves once they opened the dialog. As far as you not fully following, the content was not aimed at you, and there is a portion from another thread that you might be unaware of, thereby preventing you from connecting the diatribe.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #27
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Heya Timber, here you go: At the time he said it, he actually meant it.
He used his hand to gesture the tip over.
He then said he was ALSO worried about the environmental issues.

So... his office comes out and says he was using a metaphor.
Who uses a metaphor and then immediately after says "also" about the thing being represented by the metaphor?

Plus he's stumbling over the whole length/breadth stuff.

Apparently he's on some serious meds for Hep C which may be affecting his cognition. But if so, why'd his office not say so?

The whole thing is very weird.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #28
Elif Godson
Dracolich

They are all a bunch of chuckle headed money grubbing he said she said clowns in it for what they can get out of it.

It is no longer "we the the people, but me the people".

Politics= I dont get it! hehe

okay, time for coffee
Old 08-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #29
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick View Post

Who uses a metaphor and then immediately after says "also" about the thing being represented by the metaphor?

Apparently he's on some serious meds for Hep C which may be affecting his cognition. But if so, why'd his office not say so?

It is indeed very weird, but I don't think the senator genuinely believed the island would tip over. Actually I think it is very akin to how Felix communicates. When looked at in greater context it makes sense to me.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #30
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick View Post

What? I mean, do you think someone actually makes it through college thinking an Island, a Mountain in the middle of the water, can capsize? Seriously?

Quote:
"I wasn't suggesting that the island of Guam would literally tip over," Johnson says via a spokesman. "I was using a metaphor to say that with the addition of 8,000 Marines and their dependents -- an additional 80,000 people during peak construction to the port on the tiny island with a population of 180,000 -- could be a tipping point which would adversely affect the island's fragile ecosystem and overburden its already overstressed infrastructure.
He failed in the delivery. People with dry wit often do. I don't know much at all about the guy, but I do know those who work with him identify him as someone with a dry wit. And that's what I see here, a failed delivery at a dry wit joke.

The sad thing here is the media, and the retarded right, taking a very mundane boring thing and sensationalizing it. ZOMG HE THOUGHT AN ISLAND COULD FLIP OVER. RAWR.

Silliness, and a waste of time.

Last edited by Timber Loftis; 08-09-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote