Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 02-26-2004, 12:19 AM   #11
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... I'll check after I shut the machine down, Felix, but I'm not sure what you mean by "two slots". It's an AGP card, and I've only one AGP slot (which it fills admirably). IIRC, there was only one fan on top of this one, but I didn't pay much attention to it that way.

And the noise doesn't happen all the time. Intermittently when booting up, and if I power down, it comes up silently afterwards.

I'll post more in the morning, once I have something.

Danke.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:15 AM   #12
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Checked last night... and there's one big fan on the vid card processor, about 3 inches in diameter. Nothing was near it. The CPU fan was also free of neighboring wires.

And this morning, it whined at the start, behaving nicely the second time.
-+-+-+
Old 02-26-2004, 11:23 AM   #13
WillowIX
Apophis

Well what you could do is to start the computer with one side off. You would most probably be able to locate the noise. If it's the fan on the graphics card it's not all that serious if it should die, ifyou have adequate ventilation of your computer. And you can use Speedfan to measure the temperature. Of course if it is the fan on the graphics card, and your card is brand new, return it and get a replacement.

Felix, AFAIK the FX5200 only occupies the AGP slot. The later models however, occupy the AGP slot as well as one PCI slot for their oversized fans. One more reason to get an ATI card instead.

[ 02-26-2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 07:56 PM   #14
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Hmm, Are we talking FX 5200 or the FX 5200 Ultra?
The newer Ultra edition has a large volume quick fan mounted center mass of the AGP slot connector. It is incased with-in a "space ship" module housing. This housing drops down into the lower PCI slot, and on some boards will not allow the use of the PCI #1 slot.

Anyhow, I'm tinking the noise is comming from this fan. As per Willows instructions, do a cold power up with the side off and listen for the noise.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:14 PM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

We're talking a 5200 straight. Next time I boot, I'll leave the side off and see what's going on. Of course, it's the side next to the wall...
-+-+-+
Old 02-27-2004, 10:43 PM   #16
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Thought I'd add an update. The noise does not seem to be coming from the vid card... largely because the vid card looks like it has a cooler on it, not a fan. If I get more patience, I'll investigate more.

It may or may not be coming from the CPU cooling fan, so I think I'm going to spend a couple of bucks and replace it. Far cheaper than replacing a CPU, for sure...
-+-+-+
Old 02-28-2004, 07:15 AM   #17
WillowIX
Apophis

Well you should definitely replace it since it probably won't last long. However, you could try to clean it first and see if there's a difference. It could be dust that's causing the noise. I have that problem with one of my fans. I usually have to clean that out every two weeks.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:42 AM   #18
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Straight 5200 does not have a cooling fan, it has a medium profile heat sink. Cannot be the problem.

Check the CPU cooler, sometimes they get a little out of alignment when components get replaced. The preffered way would be to remove the cooling system, clean the contact pad, reapply a little thermal compound to the contcat point and reinstall. Also, check your case fans, and if you have a side mount check it, as they have a tendency to get torqued.

HDD make a very distinct sound, it's a metalic, scratching, sand in your disc brakes, electro-mechanical screech. There are many S.M.A.R.T. HDD readers out there, use a free one, and read the status. Here is one:
http://download.com.com/3000-2086-10...ml?tag=lst-0-1

This taps into the HDD self diagnostic report system, and "should" produce a user readable explanation of the system diagnostic.

HDD are "always-on" devices, until one sets it otherwise in the power management area. Just a little advice, never set HDD to power down or go to sleep under power settings. That is adding undue stress, and taking life cycles off of device.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote