Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2005, 12:16 AM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Happy new year, everyone!

I got HoW for Christmas, and have just now started a new solo C/R (I keep doing it over due to new computers or mess-ups). This guy has:
STR 18/90
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 10
WIS 18
CHA 11

I'm currently in the Vale and having a blast. All the new HoW items are really cool! I was surprised to see the Sword of Myroch (sp?) Vale in Conlan's shop, as it is an important item in IWD2.

From what my previous solos have been like, I am going with 2 *s in FLAILS this time, then putting 1 * in hammers and maces.

Also, I am trying to go through the whole game on insane, but I think it is actually easier! The double experience makes me have enough hp to take the heavier hits, and the extra spells that I have in the Vale are making the undead easier than ever (heh, -6 buffed AC)

I'll update this thread as I keep going. I can't wait to go to HoW and see what it's like!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 04:39 AM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

I like insane too. I feel the harder hitting enemies are balanced out by the level gain of spellcasters. However, you can get cut down VERY fast if you make a tactical mistake. On the plus side, your cleric should also be able to just explode undead. The Severed Hand holds no fears for that character.

Kudos to you for doing a solo game. I personally find solo parties rather boring and frustrating (from having to leave behind all sorts of loot that I can't carry or can't use), but that's my own personal taste.

If you do IWD/HoW/TotL on insane, even if it's only part of the time, your C/R should reach lvl 30/30. My 6-member party, currently just starting LDD, has around 1.5 million XP apiece. Project that to roughly 9 million for a solo character...
Old 01-01-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Yeesh [img]smile.gif[/img]

Severed hand should be cake, even without turning. coughcoughracialenemyspectralundeadcoughcough

Does TotLM need to be installed before I start? Cause I didn't install it yet due to firewall issues.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

AFAIK, you can install TotL at any time. Just to be sure, I'd install it before entering HoW.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

I started a solo C/R once, but never finished it. It IS a powerful combo, though. Once you hit -8 or so in AC, not much can hit you. You're a good fighter as well, and have spells to boot, both healing and some offensive ones.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Spoilers
~
~
~
~
~
Cleared out the temple of the forgotten god. It was actually somewhat hard, as Verbeegs tend to pack a punch on insane [img]smile.gif[/img] I could only last 4-5 hits at the most. However, a buffed AC of -11 along with hit n run tactics made them a lot easier

I crack up at the acolyte AI. In the big fight (4x verbeegs, 3x acolytes) at the end of the temple, I beat all the verbeegs and two of the acolytes, but while rushing the third acolyte got hit by a hold spell. I was about to reload when the acolyte cast dispel! Of course, I'm not complaining!

Off to dragons eye!
Old 01-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Spoilers
~
~
~
~
~
~
Lizard King. This guy on insane was... well... insane. I couldn't hold at the entrance to his room for long (2 hits had me down to 60 hp) so I lured the pack down the hallway, killing 3 underlings. At the bridge I first hit the pack with a glyph of warding, then with a desperate idea managed to neutralize 3/4 of them with a color spray (!) coming from my shiny new Rogue's Cowl, and kill them where they lay, including the King himself. It was still a desperate fight, and I had to retreat further south from the 4 remaining warriors, each of whom could wack me dead easily at my low health (around 30). 2 warriors followed me down, and I got off my single raise dead to summon a zombie and skeloten as fodder. I then picked off the two guys, but lost the zombie. In a desperate maneuver, I cast sanctuary and sent in my lone skeloten to hold off one of the warriors long enough for me to take down the other. i then finished off the last surviror, mano-a-mano. Whew!

Note: Buffed AC is -14

[ 01-02-2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Marty4 ]
Old 01-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

The Temple of the Forgotten God is piece a cake if you charm the verbeegs. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #9
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

However, as a solo Cleric/Ranger, I have a shortage of charm spells

Wait, Verbeegs aren't animals, are they? I did a lot of extra work if they are...

[ 01-02-2005, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Marty4 ]
Old 01-03-2005, 01:08 AM   #10
Aerich
Lord Ao

Stratos, can you actually charm the verbeeg?? I've never actually tried, since both Charm Person and Charm Person or Mammal say in their description that they don't affect monsters larger than man-sized.

Are those the spells you use to charm them, or am I missing something?