Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2003, 11:31 AM   #1
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Since I could not decide which character to import, instead of shooting for immortal god like power, I went with something far worse.

Meet Zach. The reluctant only slightly above average Bhaalspawn. He has traveled through Baldur's Gate. At creation, all of his stats were set at 9. After the books, he had 10/10/10/10/11/10. He is, with out a doubt, painfully average. In BG, his starting points went into quarterstaff and dagger. After finding a really nice dagger, he dedicated his life to the deadly art of pig-sticking.

In SoA, he is forced to wear light armors. Not strong enough for the heavy stuff. He started with 5 stars in daggers and I am still debating on having him dual weild, as he is just the average shmoe and most folks can't use both hands at once to save their life. He might take some lessons from his buddy Minsc, I have not decided yet.

Notable battles. Please note, I have his AI set to run away at the first sign of trouble [img]tongue.gif[/img]

He ran away from the Slaver Mob Ambush.

He ran away at high speed, with his trousers soaked at the sight of a Drow Priestess and her pet spider under the graveyard. Spiders are scary!

He ran away screaming for his Auntie Jaheira to save him at the very first sighting of vampires in the streets at night. He is scared of the dark, night fell, they were rushing to find an inn.

Seeing the Beastmaster in the Copper Coronet made him run away screaming.

Upon aquiring the Boots of Speed, his cowardice reached a whole new level.

So far, the only thing he has killed, the only battle he has taken part of, the only thing that made him fight for his own life...

Was Firkragg. Everybody got knocked out cold, everybody was beat up pretty badly, Keldorn was down to about 4 hit points. Firkragg was near death. Zach bravely pulled Pixie Prick from his boot and rushed in quickly and stabbed Firkragg right in his big red horny toe. He scored a critical and did an AMAZING 17 damage and got his first, and, so far, only kill. Mr. Big Red and Scary Himself.

Not to shabby for a level 10 fighter who has the morale of a stewed chicken. The whole party was around level 9 to 11.

He is Neutral Good. He is a lot of fun to play, watching his AI controlled actions is quite funny really, that script is a hoot. The moment something hostile shows up, he takes off running at full tilt in the boots of speed. I plan to place a few points in quarterstaves over time, and, possibly a few points in shortswords. He should have been called Brave Sir Robin of course, but, I really wanted to roleplay it a bit and give him a slightly more average name.

At the moment, he is totally shocked that Auntie Jaheira seems to be flirting with him.

The whole party.

Keldorn. Takes the lead.
Minsc. Keldorn's right hand man.
Jaheira. The Disrupter. And tank.
Anomen. Part time tank, part time healer.
Yoshimo. Rear archer, part time thief.
Zach. Usually found hiding behind the others. Sometimes gets a little to far ahead because of his foot speed, but, always, with out fail, runs backwards to hide behind others.

Playing with him has been a blast. I highly recommend playing a slightly above average character some time.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 12:17 PM   #2
drewal
Drow Warrior

Hahahahaha!

That's awesome.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:31 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Very nicely written. There have been people who have played with average characters but they are far and few.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 02:10 PM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Question Mark

well, speaking as an average guy when I go fighting with my friends (one of them went to the time and trouble to make a great deal of weapons and shields out of pvc pipe and foam rubber) I always do better with two weapons (unless using the pole-axe (aka Halberd) I just can't seem to get the hang of the shield, but using two weapons, ie mace and sword, or shortsword and long I typically "kill" them alot more than they get me (when they're using either 2weapons, or a shield and weapon)

using this as a basis were I to make a character on a similar note, I would do the same (ie dual wield all the time)

[ 01-15-2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 01-15-2003, 02:34 PM   #5
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

What was really hard was importing him. He is a plain brown bag fighter. I thought about taking a kit. Mostly, I thought about the Kensai kit and then the focus on daggers, but, then, my role playing sense bit me on the arse and I realized the average shmoe would never be trained as a Kensai. Or a Berserker or a Wizard Slayer for that matter.

As of right now, he has two kills to his name. He is Zach, Coward Extraordinair, Dragonslayer. The Shadow Dragon got Pixie Pricked. With him running away from any sign of danger, he is always the only one who is healthy enough to deliver the killing blow on something nasty.

I am debating right now what gloves to give him. The Gauntlets of Ogre Power or the Gauntlets of Dexterity. It's a really tough choice. Since he rarely melees, rarely like once in a blue moon, neither are a good choice, but, he could always use better AC or better THAC0 for when he does.

His current equipment.

Ring of Invisibility. For those moments when he really has to hide!
Pearly White Ioun Stone. His skin is most important, save it at all costs!
Ring of Regeneration. When running away, he usually has his back shot full of arrows or spells. He um, well, he takes a lot of damage at times and does nothing to stop anybody. At least with all these regeneration items, he heals quickly.
Shadow Dragon Armor.
Girdle of Fortitude.
Boots of Speed. So he can bravely run away away.
Cloak of Shielding.
Gloves. I can't decide.
Weapons. Several. Pixie Prick, Stilleto of De'Marchess, Elemental Staff of Air, Elemental Staff of Fire, soon to have the Staff of Rhynn.
Amulet of Poison Protection. Poison is scary icky stuff!

Something I plan to get very soon, but, will refuse to wear on him is the Ring of Gaxx. Liches are too scary, and, any ring worn by a lich must be even scarier.

He will never turn into the Slayer with the exception of the times I can't control it. Said monster is far to scary. Why, he would scare himself to death!

So much for being the Lord of Murder. Why, the very sight of blood makes him queasy.

Really funny story that actually happened. I was invading Bhodi's lair on a mission from the shadow thieves and right as we all were going into the main room, a vampire made a bee line right for Zach. With his AI set to run like the dickens, he took off lickety split from the gibbering keening undead nasty. He was actually running laps around the big gray beehive thing in the middle of the crypts, with the vampire hot on his heels. Keldorn came in hot pursuit, but, could not keep up with the speedy vampire nor his speedy prey. Under the AI control, Zach would not stop running and must have made at least five laps before I turned the lantern off and manuvered him to a spot so Keldorn could catch up and save his sorry skin. I guess you would have had to have seen it, but, it was so funny at the time I nearly died laughing.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 02:58 PM   #6
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

I think using a two-handed sword is much more difficult than dualwielding (unless you dual something unrealistic, like two katanas or bastard swords).
Old 01-15-2003, 05:11 PM   #7
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

lol. This is one of the better threads I've read on Ironworks. Very entertaining [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 05:13 PM   #8
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Try SixofSpades' "Im a naughty boy" and "Im still a naughty boy" threads. Quite interesting, and nice ideas as well.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:00 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Even funnier than the post itself is the fact that Jaheira went from Khalid....to Zach! What a hoot! Boy, she can sure pick 'em, can't she?

Although in terms of "running away in face of the enemy," I must say that Zach is excellent.....but Viekang has him beaten by miles.

I've heard of people running Nobleman parties (where the PC does nothing except talk to people, carry stuff, and tell his servants to kill things for him), but none of them were this funny. Keep up the good work!
Old 01-15-2003, 08:13 PM   #10
drewal
Drow Warrior

I am inspired by this thread. I am going to try and make a some commoner kits for the fighter class.

You could have a farmer, a nobleman, a barmaid, any ideas?