Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #11
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah i'd have to agree. Being a gamer, if I bought an 8800 to play the latest games I would expect it to play all my old favourites too. Otherwise Nvidia would be forcing their consumers to choose between new and old games when true gamers play both.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #12
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Being a gamer, if I bought an 8800 to play the latest games I would expect it to play all my old favourites too. Otherwise Nvidia would be forcing their consumers to choose between new and old games when true gamers play both.
Being a gamer, I expect all my old DOS games to run on my new machine. Now they are forcing me to choose between those old DOS games and my new ones, when a true gamer plays both. [/sarcasm]

I might agree with Ziroc in this particular case, since it is a software issue, but in general if I bought an {insert hardware here} to play the latest games I should expect older games not to run properly.

"And how old a game is doesn't matter if it still kicks ass"
I completely agree and think everyone here does, but you really can't expect all new hardware that comes out to be backward compatible with those 5+ yeard old games. If you want to enjoy those old titles without problems keep your old hardware.

[ 06-03-2007, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 06-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #13
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Here's my kicker then; I'm playing along on my new hardware, and the game runs just fine, better, since I have new hardware. Then I update my drivers and my game quits functioning. I can't switch to my "old" hardware, since my old hardware is what's having the problem, with the new drivers. If in the course of updating something, you break something else that has been working, you fix it. Reference my post about AMD and the dual core hot fix for games that were having problems with them. Games that were released prior to the introduction of the technology, and yet, AMD jumped to fix that problem. Why? Because their customer base wanted it.

I have games that I expect will never run again, at least, not on this rig. No problem there. But if I'm running a game on this rig, and a driver update breaks it, then I'd expect to get that fixed.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #14
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:

I have games that I expect will never run again, at least, not on this rig. No problem there. But if I'm running a game on this rig, and a driver update breaks it, then I'd expect to get that fixed.
Precisely my point, robert.

I agree in this case, I just reacted to SW's "if I bought an 8800 to play the latest games I would expect it to play all my old favourites too."

[ 06-03-2007, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 06-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #15
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I wonder if this thing would run BG, or just laugh at it...The same with BG2. The same with Darkstone. Those are games that I will miss if I can't run them.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #16
Zebodog

BG and BG2 run fine on my 7950GT. I have to play in a window of course, since my LCD runs at 1680 x 1050, but that's no problem.

A word to the wise about the new 7 series drivers: (release May 31, 2007) Apparantly they suck! Stick with the older ones (Nov '06)

Perhaps we need to agree to disagree on this subject of 8 series drivers/hardware. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If a driver re-write for DX10 hardware improves performance and useability under DX10, but disables legacy support in the process, then oh well...that's life.

Heck, Microsoft dumped all support for DirectSound 3D with Vista which was a huge deal, even for games a year old. Unfortunately it was a necessary sacrifice for future improvements.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #17
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yep, 8800 runs BG and BG2 fine. But don't expect a res of 1920x1200 in which my monitor and video card run [img]smile.gif[/img]

The 8800 runs everything I throw at it so far--Thief series, and many older games as well.

I ran Prey maxxed out, and it was so fluid, I was getting motion sick!!!

Zebodog--I know what you are talking about, but the actual design specs and coupled with the OS, it SHOULD play most games.

But, remember those old Memory manager games like Ultima 7 and Eye of the Beholder 3? I can't play those, not because the video card won't run it, but the OS enviroment won't. You can maybe set up to DOS boot with changes to your autoexec and config.sys for emm386, but daaaammn.. I haven't even wanted to bother with that.

I do plan on building a DOS system with Windows for Workgroups (HAAAHHA) .. Set it up like I did back in the early 90's and play some of those old games. (MOO2 was fun!!) And a few goldbox games.

I sold a bunch of Console stuff, and a few PC cards and with that, plus some gift cards I hadn't used since Oct, I bought this beast. I love it, but the shitty thing is, to run DX10 games, you gotta run vista. I won't be doing that for about a year, since no games I want are going to run in DX10---Unless Bioshock does... then... damn... hard choice.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:18 AM   #18
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:

Precisely my point, robert.

I agree in this case, I just reacted to SW's "if I bought an 8800 to play the latest games I would expect it to play all my old favourites too."
[/QUOTE]And needless to say, you overreacted. As an example, I can still play all my games on my 7900, DOS and windows *shrug*. Either I know something you don't or you're just butting in with an opinion and a bad attempt at sarcasm that does little if anything to serve the discussion. [/sarcasm]

On this point, if you disagree with someone fine, but don't do it that way, have some class. The same kind of class you have when I see you ask people here for technical support or when we helped you build your "new machine". Just because you don't want anything from this thread does not mean you don't have to conduct yourself. It makes you look especially worse when you are actually wrong.

As an illustrative "reaction" to your statement, i'm currently replaying the old DOS game Menzobarrenzan on this card. The game is 10+ years old. So, I in fact can (and actually do) play 5+ year old games with it. And at the same time i'm playing WoW and NWN 2. I have no problems because I never expected to say goodbye to any of my games. And I never had to.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:59 AM   #19
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
It makes you look especially worse when you are actually wrong.

As an illustrative "reaction" to your statement, i'm currently replaying the old DOS game Menzobarrenzan on this card. The game is 10+ years old. So, I in fact can (and actually do) play 5+ year old games with it. And at the same time i'm playing WoW and NWN 2. I have no problems because I never expected to say goodbye to any of my games. And I never had to.
Read my post again, carefully. Don't say I'm wrong because I never wrote that old dos games do not run on new hardware. I can still play many of my old 10-15 year old dos games on my system too. I can give examples of games older than Menzobarrenzan that run fine on my card.

All I said is one should not expect producers to make sure all their hardware is compatible with older software, and that if you do buy a new system you should accept the possibility that older games might not work properly.

I do apologize for my tone however. It was really not my intention to mock you and I'm sorry it appeared this way.

[ 06-04-2007, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 06-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #20
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I never said why you were wrong. But I do accept and appreciate your apology.

Rephrased and clarified, your statement becomes easier to agree with. Since IMHO it is common sense to not expect every single piece of old software to be compatible with every piece of new hardware. Backwards compatibility is and always will be the prime moneymaker. This is why we see 98 emulation on xp, affinity assignment programs for single core games and DOSbox-like applications for old favourites.

Personally, I like to stay around mid-range for my video cards because I have noticed that usually the highest tier is designed for a niche market (Anyone remember when v-sync was missing from a certain top of the line Nvidia card for 1 month?).

[ 06-07-2007, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]