Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #31
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Winking Re: What book are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorne830 View Post
Have you read "Mastes of Doom" about Carmak and Romero founding id. It's a really good biography. It's interesting how there friendship was basically destroyed because of greed.
I'm midway through it now... a really good read! Thanks, Blackthorne!

*edit* And I concur, Balintherlas. Frank Herbert put magic in the pages of Dune...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #32
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: What book are you reading?

Finished it now... hard to put down. Very interesting, not just for the inside scoop on what happened at id with Doom and Quake, but the whole cottage industry aspect of computer gaming. I look at what happened there, and I think the same thing has happened to DW Bradley and some of the other legendary game creators.

Might & Magic, for example, was brilliant in the first game. Heck, there was one puzzle that, AFAIK, could *NOT* be solved from within the game! I had a friend's wife watch old Star Trek episodes to get me the answer to Og's question

There were puzzles and games that challenged your mind... recognizing a map as a magic square, and then having to solve it. Fantastically challenging, and the source of a lot of game play.

Later games never met that same level of magic and mystique. I think it's related to what often happens to writers... their first book is great, but the second is... *ahem* not so good. Typically, the first book is one you spend years on, and the second... you may have months, or perhaps just weeks.

Thanks again, Blackthorne!
-+-+-+
Old 01-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #33
dplax
Jack Burton

Some recent reads:

Tom Clancy - Sum of All Fears

I'll admit having seen the film first and reading the book second. Liked the film, like the book even better. I can understand some people not really wanting to get into a book of "Tom Clancy-size", but it's a pretty fast read actually. I've read more recent books by him before reading this, and it sure is nice to see how Jack Ryan gets where he is in those books.

Robert Ludlum - Bourne Identity

Again, I saw the film first. And the book is definitely better. Better in its plot mostly, which doesn't feel as thin as the one of the movie. I have the other two Bourne books also lined up for reading, but need a break before continuing the storyline.

Neil Gaiman - American Gods

This was a Christmas gift for my dad, but I was curious enough to read the book before giving it to him. Very interesting concept, well-written, the only weak point for me was the end, which felt a bit rushed. Still, great book, will have to check out other books by the same author.

On I go now to read some George R.R. Martin (that R.R. reminds me of Tolkien ). Finally managed to convince myself that I wanted to see what the hype about Song of Ice and Fire was about and helped out a friend, who didn't really know what to give me for Christmas. Also got some other well-known and by me unread fantasy authors lined-up, like Feist, Hobb,...looks to be a good year bookwise, even if the books are old.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:52 AM   #34
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Just finished reading "Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message" by Ravi Zacharias.
I'd discuss it but for two issues 1) the religious discussion moratorium and 2) I read through it pretty quickly and if I don't spend time on something it tends not to stick in my head very long.

Anywho, just got started on Vol.3 of Otherland: Mountain of Black Glass by Tad Williams. So far I haven't been disappointed, much better getting started than River of Blue Flame. Already 103 pages in and it's only been two days.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #35
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Well, Finished Otherland Vol.3 now starting in on Vol.4 Sea of Silver Light.

Took me a little longer than I was expecting.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #36
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Shadow Rising - 4th Wheel of Time. Really good thus far but the first couple chapters are long. Been awihile since there are 50 pages per chapter, I am not complaing. I think this as been the best start to any of the books.

The Dragon Reborn - 3rd Wheel of Time (Completed). This book was really good, my favorite in the series so far. Really brought everything together at the end.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #37
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

I'm now reading Children of Dune, the third book in the saga, after this it'll be God Emperor of Dune then I'll have to go buy or see if my library has the last two that Frank Herbert wrote. I'm not sure if I'll read any of the other dune books, the ones his son wrote, I've heard bad things about them.

Oh and I'm also reading Realms of War, its a short story collection of the Forgotten Realms world. There have been a few good stories in that one, there's also one written by Salvatore that I have yet to read.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #38
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand. This is a monster book, heavy going, has taken me more than 2 weeks so far but with big chunks which require some thought rather than just reading.

Got the Fountainhead lined up and waiting on Iain Banks's Matter to turn up on my doorstep.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #39
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: What book are you reading?

Atlas Shrugged? I keep hearing about it. how is it? It sounds like more of a commentary book. Is it actually a real novel?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #40
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

It is a real novel, although I haven't read it. It's some sort of specialty group classic... workers or some such. I *should* read it one of these days...

Just finished a book called The Sixteenth Minute. It's about what happens after your 15 minutes of fame are up, and includes stories of half a dozen folks whose minutes are up, along with a story woven throughout of a guy who was in Howard Hughes' will. Interestingly done, in many ways... although I was bummed that the library got a defective copy! It went from page 182 to 217, and then hit 217 again!
-+-+-+