Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2001, 02:45 PM   #1
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi all.

I've just rolled a pretty good fighter/thief for BG1. I've started laying into BG1 because I want to get the Tomes that increase stat's permanently. Trouble is I'm happy with this bloke and I'm itching to import and run him through BG2. it's just that BG1 can't quite cut it for me and it's become a chore rather than an adventure. Now I'd rather just supply him with the books (that I'd receive if I went through BG1 anyway) increase his stat's and play BG2 with him. Can someone answer these questions for me?

Can Shadowkeeper supply these tomes?
Where do I get Shadowkeeper from? (Link if poss'.)
How many Tomes are there? (I found 3 in BG1 the first time round.)
How do I use Shadowkeeper and if used incorrectly am I liable to bugger something right up?

Cheers.
Old 02-08-2001, 02:56 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Hi Charlie

you can add the tomes with shadowkeeper but you could also just use CLUAconsole in BG2 (type the line "debug mode = 1" in your Baldur.ini file, make sure you back up, then press Ctrl+Space in the game to use cheats) Unfortunately the tomes of Wisdom and Charisma don't work in BG2
You can download SK here: www.mud-master.com/shadowkeeper/ (sorry I forgot how to make a link)
There is a user guide on the site and the read me also gives you some clues, for the rest it's pretty self-explanatory and userfriendly
If you make sure you save your adapted games under a new name (ie SaveGame[edited 0001] which SK does automatically) you can never screw up. If you do really buggy things like changing your kit but not the concomitant things like spell memorization, AC Thac0 etc your game will probably crash on load but since you're only increasing your stats you should be fine. I'd advise you to just manually alter your stats in SK instead of using tomes because of the twon tomes that don't work
Old 02-08-2001, 03:04 PM   #3
Stealth Bomber

Charlie click here. Beware as Shadowkeeper gives you total control of your character stats, inventory etc. You won't need the tomes, I think there were 4, not sure. No bugs reported when importing into the game but avoid the scripts.

Old 02-08-2001, 03:05 PM   #4
Stealth Bomber

Damm too slow again!

Old 02-08-2001, 03:24 PM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

hihi

Old 02-08-2001, 03:58 PM   #6
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Shadowkeeper is a wonderful tool. I use it all of the time to make minor changes to characters.

1) Changing Stats: Ever go through and get that perfect roll and then decide that you want to go back and change character class? I use shadowkeeper to get back the stats that I had rolled just 2 minutes ago, but weren't saved when I hit the back button in the character creation screen.

2) Creating more playable dual classed characters: I hate having to dual at level 7. Why would any fighter do that? If you dual at level 6, you get the same weapon proficiencies and it is easier to get back the fighter abilities. I use shadowkeeper to lower the initial level to 6 and then add the experience to the new class.

3) More creative kit application: Why can't multi-class characters be assigned a kit? Dual classed can. I use shadowkeeper to assign kits to multi-class characters. I also use it to assign a kit to the second class and not the first (ie. make a fighter/necromancer rather than a necromancer/fighter as the game would require you). I understand the limitation on one kit per character, but why should I have to choose the kit first?

4) Proficeincy points: Ever make a mistake and think, "Man why did I assign points there?" I use shadowkeeper to change points back. I try to be realistic though and try not to make arbitrary decisions. If I originally put points into maces and I've been using a mace, I don't change the points to flails just because I've found a great flail. I did however, change the points in one of my multi-classed fighters so that he could get more than just 2 proficiency points.

One suggestion for shadowkeeper: If possible add experience points rather than change all of the attributes when trying to increase levels.

I've never really crashed my game with shadowkeeper. Except when . . . Okay, I was trying to really mess things up by making a triple classed human . . . Yeah, I was asking for trouble. But otherwise I only have good things to say.

Good Luck,

Father Bronze
"It doesn't matter who wins or loses, it's how you play the game."
Old 02-08-2001, 04:15 PM   #7
Rikard_OHF
Beholder

remember
Thou Shall Not Cheat (to much)
Old 02-08-2001, 04:38 PM   #8
Kalgrog

If you are just worried about stats you don't need shadowkeeper unless you want to go beyond the racial limits. If you have your cheats=1 or debug mode=1 or whatever done in your baldur.ini you can do this. When creating a character and on the stat roll screen hit ctrl 8 and it will max all your stats. Sometimes you have to remove a couple points from an attribute before doing this so that you can raise any stat that is allowed above 18 to 19 and such. Just another alternative. You can get better descriptions of this on the Ironworks BG2 webpage under built-in cheats.

Old 02-08-2001, 04:46 PM   #9
Ramon

Spoiler for BGI-player !

Hi Charlie,

to my knowledge this is the number of tomes available in BG I (including ToSC): one each for strength, constitution, charisma and dexterity and three tomes for wisdom. Each tomes adds permanently one point to the attribute it is related to.

I would also advice you not to bother to find the tomes in Sk, but just to alter your character's scores directly via Sk. It is very easy to do - a child's birtday party to translate for once a completey untranslatable German colloquial expression, you would probably call it a piece of cake. All changes you make in SK are automatically saved apart from the save you loaded to alter it. That means there is always a unchanged save to fall back on.

One final thought: give BG I one more shot. I do not know how it feels like playing it
after BG II, probably rather primitive in certain aspects, but I really liked it storyline and grew especially fond of the unique feel that you could enter/reach any place on the whole map of the Swordcoast, something I am missing in BG II.

Either way: have fun ! Btw, in the end, did you decide to go with the multiclassed fighter/thief ? I was myself thinking about giving that combination a chance.

So long,

Ramon

Old 02-08-2001, 05:14 PM   #10
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Charlie:
1.- Play Bg1 again, you wont regret it
2.- The tomes are one for each stat except for wisdom, there are 3 for it

BG1 spoiler:
-
-
-
- Strength: Candlekeep dungeon
- Dexterity: thieves guild in Baldurs Gate city, entrance
- Constitution: the lighthouse in the coast (logically)
- Intelligence: razimuths tower
- Wisdom: one in a temple (maybe waukeen ??) in the north western part of BG city, another in Durlags Tower (only available with TotSC), and the last one in Candlekeep dungeon
- Charisma: gnoll stronghold