Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2000, 10:57 PM   #1
One-Eyed Jack

Earlier you said that the blade of roses and dragon slayer were good weapons. My lvl 10 ranger can barely hit anything! If he does its only for a meager 6-10 damage. My starting warrior did better than that with a NON magical weapon!

- Are swashbuckler's all they are made up to be? Is there something I am missing out on?
- Those people who use characters that aren't fighters... how do you hit anything with just 2 proficiency?
Earlier you said that the blade of roses and dragon slayer were good weapons. My lvl 10 ranger can barely hit anything! If he does its only for a meager 6-10 damage.
I can't seem to hit ANYTHING even with these good weapons! Is there some special way that you are getting your characters to work right or am I doing something seriously wrong?

Old 11-16-2000, 11:02 PM   #2
Armisael

It's nothing to do with proficiencies. Once you get one slot in any weapon, all penalties are cancelled. Do you have a proficiency in longswords at all? What are your stats? Sounds like you have a low strength and dex, meaning your THAC0 and bonus damage are poor.

Old 11-16-2000, 11:03 PM   #3
One-Eyed Jack

I have near 18/00 str, 19 dex, 18 con, 7 thaco in my mainhand i believe, and 2 is the max i can get in longswords, and i have 3 in two weapon fighting style. I can't understand what the problem is if you know what I mean.

Old 11-16-2000, 11:06 PM   #4
Tara

What is you strength and THACO? Try doing alot of not too tough exp stuff to level up a bit to reduce your THACO and look for items that help, and if your fighter isn't at least an 18 strength get a strength belt from the adventure mart FAST! By the way- Dragonslayer is great- for dragon's-- then I usually put it away.

Old 11-16-2000, 11:07 PM   #5
Tara

wow- the posts flew in faster than me- never mind my last post

Old 11-16-2000, 11:12 PM   #6
Tara

Dragon slayer is kinda meager against anyone but dragon's if you have it try daystar instead

STATISTICS:
Special Abilities (once per day):
Sunray
Damage: 3D6 (save vs. spells or be blinded for 10 rounds)
Undead: an additional 1d6 points of damage per level of caster (save vs. spells or be destroyed)
Range: 20 ft
Area: 20 ft radius

THACO: +2 bonus, +4 vs. evil creatures
Damage: 1D8 +2, +4 vs. evil creatures, does double damage against undead
Damage type: slashing
Weight: 2
Speed Factor: 3
Proficiency Type: Long sword
Type: 1-handed
Requires: 6 Strength
Not Usable By:
Druid
Cleric
Mage

extra against evil includes almost everyone

Old 11-16-2000, 11:18 PM   #7
One-Eyed Jack

This Daystar sounds like a pretty good weapon. I am considering starting a swashbuckler, and using the Daystar. Is there anything that you would recommend? I like up close and personal fighting, but I also like the way the Swashbuckler sounds, if you get my drift. Will the swashbuckler ever be as good as any other character?

Old 11-16-2000, 11:20 PM   #8
Tara

By the way- Lvl 10 isn't all that hot yet- look in the back of your book for the table on ranger/fighter experience levels- you'll get more hit dice as you level up- so go for the experience pts!!

Old 11-16-2000, 11:26 PM   #9
Tara

This depends alot on what you want out of your character. If you want a great thief who won't turn on you and a decent fighter- then yes. But will he ever be a beserker wonder in hack and slash- no. Theives cannot master in weapons, If you want hack and slash go for the fighter or stay with your ranger- he will get better. Or- take your thief and pick up Minsc or Korgan- there are plenty of good fighters in the game- very precious few theives who are worth the time. Therefore why my main is a theif this time (swashbuckler). Look in the book that came with your game for alot of really useful advice on classes and there strengths and weaknesses.

Old 11-17-2000, 01:55 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Swashbuckler is like a combo fighter/thief. His THACO will never be as good as a fighter and he will never have exceptional strength. This is balanced by his thieving skills. He's a versatile class more than anything. You have to decide if you want to be versatile or to specialize in being really good at a few things.