Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 05-10-2003, 09:52 AM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Well I thought that I´d just make up my own little thread here...putting in some tips and quite possibly some spoilers too...though they´ll be minor!

For starters I´d like to just describe my character for the purpose of illuminating MY tips.

Fighter/Mage lvl. 13/16 with grand mastery in staff and katana!
The reason for using slots in katana become obvious when I describe the sweetest item for a fighter/mage in the game...the Dak´kon´s Zerth blade wich can be bought from Deidre at the adeventurers Mart.

Dak'kon's Zerth Blade +2
This sword was the weapon of choice of the famous githzerai Dak'kon. Dak'kon was killed by a powerful entity while working for a creature known as the 'Nameless One'.

STATISTICS:
Equipped Abilities:
+1 AC bonus
able to memorize one extra 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th level mage spell

THAC0: +2 bonus
Damage: 1D10 +2
Damage type: slashing
Weight: 4
Speed Factor: 2
Proficiency Type: Katana
Type: 1-handed
Requires: 6 Strength
Not Usable By:
Druid
Cleric
Mage

I mean come on...Xtra 1st, 2nd, 3rd AND 4th LVL spells I LIKE IT!!

My profiency slots in staff is a matter of som business between me and the twisted rune involving a staff that I´d like to get my finger on...HæHæHæ
The Staff of Magi is a MUST...and NOW I run into a little problem....wich weapon IS the best...???

Staff of the Magi
This type of staff is thoroughly linked of the image of the spellcasting profession, rare though it is. It is among the most powerful tools that a wizard can possess, the culmination of complex enchantment and endless study. This particular example is good in melee, grants Invisibility, and offers protection from Charms and Evil. It can also cast a Spell Trap, launch a Fireball-Lighting Bolt combination, and Dispel Magic. The quintessential mage item.

STATISTICS
Armor Class: +2 bonus
Saving Throws: +2 bonus
Equipped Abilities:
Invisibility
Immunity to Charm
Protection From Evil

Fireball-Lightning
Damage: combined lightning and fireball damage
Range: 150 feet
Use: Three times a day

Abilities: Trap Spell
Duration: 8 hours or until 30 spell levels have been trapped
Use: Once a day

Combat Ability (each hit): Dispel Magic
THAC0: +1 bonus (strikes as a +5 weapon)
Damage: 1D6 +1
Damage type: crushing
Weight: 4
Speed Factor: 4
Proficiency Type: Quarterstaff
Type: 2-handed
Requires: 5 Strength
Usable By
Mages

I´ve never used the Fireball-Lightning thing...but the Invisibility and Immunity to Charm SURE does have some hmmm...charm *LOL*

But since we´re talking about tips here I´d better get down to business...

After I got my arse whipped in Akthakla by four wampires...they mugged me in the street ...I decided that it would be a great idea if I always carried some spells!

Protection from undead

Restoration

Do not leave home without...unless Ur immune to lvl.Drain...that leads me to my question...There´s got to be some items in game wich gives me immunity to lvl.drain...I think amulet of power is one of them....are there others?

Feel free to post some tips of Your own in here...but lets keep them general in the game so we don´t end up with 40 different ways to kill Kangaxx
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 10:36 AM   #2
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

For a F/M, T/M or Bard (Blade) - Oil of Speed, Mislead, Tensor's Transformation ! Dead Kuroisan.

Also for a Thief with UAI and a scroll of Mislead - backstabbing galore.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
Raistlin Majere
Ra

I didnt use the fireball lightning either, but i used the spell trap ALOT! a ninth level spell once/day is handy.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 10:50 AM   #4
Azaghal
The Magister

Funny thing I also never use the fireball/lightning thing though it's pretty mighty.
Concerning Dak'kons Zerth Blade I do not quite agree. I think it's only useful for low level F/M or T/M and even then only doublewielding it offhand. Later on you will have so many 1-4 lvl spells that you can drop DZB for abilities of greater use that will come with other weapons or shields.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #5
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Dakkon's Zerth Blade can be put to good use all the way through SoA and ToB, if you work at it. Equip DZB in your secondary slot and make it active before you access your spellbook prior to resting. Now you have the extra slot in levels 1-4. Fill them with spells you can use right away the next day, and after they have been used, you can switch to your main weapon, or even put DZB in your pack for the rest of the day.

Some good spell choices:
Level 4: Stoneskin --lasts eight hours, and you can get extra one per day for free!
Minor Sequencer--lasts until used, and can be filled with your free spells from levels 1 and 2

Level 3: Melf's Meteors--last until used, but cast this one last, since the meteors replace your weapon and you'll lose the extra slots
Invisibility 10' radius--lasts 24 hours, cast last so you don't ruin it with next spell

Level 2: Invisibility--same deal as above; could also be used in a defensive sequencer
Mirror Image--for defensive sequencer, or pre-fight buff
Acid Arrow--for offensive sequencer

Level 1: Magic Missile or Chromatic Orb--for offensive sequencer
Identify--if you need some extra id'ing power
Reflected Image or Prot from Evil--for defensive sequencer

The downside to this is that you have to repeat the process before every rest, but it's four free spells...
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #6
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

The Zerth blade is ok for low-mid level characters, especially with the Kensai/Mage dual class. If you have the items upgrade/tactics mod, it becomes largely redundant... mainly because of Celestial Fury +5 and Sanchuudoku +4.

The item upgrade also introduces the 'improved robe of evil/neutral/good archmagi' which provides you with an extra 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th level spell. This cancels out the penalty of not using the Zerth blade entirely.

Old 05-10-2003, 03:34 PM   #7
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Sanchuudoku +4???? WTF is that???

................................Still lookin for generel tips...........
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Old 05-10-2003, 03:37 PM   #8
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

The infamous 'acid' Katana. Dropped by Kuroisan if you decide to give him Celestial Fury in a manner he didn't request
Old 05-10-2003, 04:43 PM   #9
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Dace De'Briago:
The infamous 'acid' Katana. Dropped by Kuroisan if you decide to give him Celestial Fury in a manner he didn't request
I take it this means that U want me to see if he can swallow the damned thing *LOL*

"Unleash the Casey!"

Old 05-10-2003, 09:37 PM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Olorin:
Dakkon's Zerth Blade can be put to good use all the way through SoA and ToB, if you work at it. Equip DZB in your secondary slot and make it active before you access your spellbook prior to resting. Now you have the extra slot in levels 1-4. Fill them with spells you can use right away the next day, and after they have been used, you can switch to your main weapon, or even put DZB in your pack for the rest of the day.
Not so. Unequippinig an item that gives bonus spells will remove those spells... same story with Rings of Wizardy and Acuity.
Quote:

Some good spell choices:
Level 4: Stoneskin --lasts eight hours, and you can get extra one per day for free!
Lasts longer than 8 hours - you can rest and still have it on.

Quote:
Level 3: Melf's Meteors--last until used, but cast this one last, since the meteors replace your weapon and you'll lose the extra slots
Meteors only replace your main hand weapon.
Quote:

Level 2: Invisibility--same deal as above; could also be used in a defensive sequencer
Mirror Image--for defensive sequencer, or pre-fight buff
Acid Arrow--for offensive sequencer
Staff of the Magi makes this spell redundant... giving you extra level 2 spells to the extent of how many Invisibilities you memorised.
On Invis 10', if one is soloing, it becomes redundant. All it does is to put the party under Invisibility... and when soloing, that means it only affects *you*. Meaning that it is also made redundant by the SoTM. Another few spell slots...

Quote:
Level 1: Magic Missile or Chromatic Orb--for offensive sequencer
Identify--if you need some extra id'ing power
Reflected Image or Prot from Evil--for defensive sequencer

The downside to this is that you have to repeat the process before every rest, but it's four free spells...
Identify isn't a good spell for a Mage to have, since it comprimises your offensive spells... there are Glasses of ID throughout the game, you can use scrolls (they're common loot and don't get you much money selling them), or you can pay 100 Gold for it to be ID'd at any merchant who knows how... which isn't much gold at all for a Soloist. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Pro-Evil is redundant, again due to the Staff of the Magi... another couple of slots. So is Reflected/Mirror Image - what use are they when most of your enemies can't see you anyway ?? Ditto with Blur.

Meaning, Dakkon's Zerth Blade gives you one extra spell level 1-4, and lets you have another single handed weapon, or a shield.
Staff of the Magi replaces most of your low-level Illusions, Pro-Evil, and Dispel/Remove Magic; grants an extra Spell Trap every day; has a better AC Bonus; and gives you it's Fireball-Lightning thing (which is Fireball and Lightning Bolt in one spell)... I'd say that SoTM is better. [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Wouldn't you just know it, I forgot Jarrad had logged in... Lennon here, BTW.

[ 05-10-2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote