Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-13-2005, 04:17 AM   #1
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Ok, disclaimer time:

I am no good with computers.
I can turn them on, put in games and play. That's about it.
So bear with me for some dumb questions and perhaps poor explanations.

My old computer was getting a little... wonky. I wound up getting a new one through work and put the old one away. Now, several months later, my wife has become addicted to City of Heroes and we decided to play together. I dug out the old computer (having somehow forgotten about the issues I had with it), got a router, a second copy of the game, and prepared to start playing together.

So, my problem is that I think the old computer picked up a virus along the way (through Kazaa, I suspect). For the most part, it is fine, though-- no real problems, except that it has no sound now. I can't even find the volume control anymore--it's like it was deleted from the computer. It used to show on the bottom right of the screen, but now it's gone. Going into the control panel doesn't help, as it is not there, either. I can't find any way to get sound.

Also, if we use a router to play and the old computer has a virus, will it attack my new computer? Does the router (haven't hooked it up yet, or even really read much in the hook-up guide) "join" the two computers? Or are they considered seperate, but just use the same phone line for internet access? I am not sure it is a virus per say, but I know that there is spyware that I just can't for the life of me, get rid of. I have downloaded different spyware removal programs, which always detect a ton of cr*p and delete it, but then every time I used to go online with that computer, the spyware would re-download itself automatically. I never found a way to *completely* get rid of it.

Also-- the new computer uses XP and the old one ME. The new one keeps asking me to make back-up CDs (haven't done it yet, but plan to. Can I use these CDs to put XP onto the old computer? I had been thinking that reinstalling Windows might help and would rather use XP than ME.

Any help/ advice/ info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

[ 01-13-2005, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Arnabas ]
Old 01-13-2005, 05:55 AM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Well, since you haven't used the old PC for a while now, there's not much usefull things on it, is it? Format the drives, and install Windows XP on it. Don't install Kazaa, as that is a spyware gate, it even comes with some. It may also be used as a virus downloader. When you install the system, connect the two computers over the LAN to the internet and download a good anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall (I reccomend avast! or AVG for anti-virus, Spy-bot and Ad-aware both for spyware, and Sygate or Zonealarm for the firewall). If your old computer is able to run the City of Heroes, install and play. Have fun!
Old 01-13-2005, 06:41 AM   #3
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Thanks for the response.
Yeah, I have deleted a lot of junk from the old one-- as you say, nothing useful on it. I used ad-aware on it, but as I say, the bloody stuff keeps coming back (no, I am not still using Kazaa).
One or two questions remain unanswered...
1) Can I use the backup disks from the new computer to install XP on the old one? These aren't disks that came with the computer-- they are ones it is prompting me to make.
2) How do I format the drives? (as I said, I am pretty ignorant...)
3) Since the computers will both be physically attached to the router, will the newer one be in danger if a virus remains on the old one? Will formatting and installing XP absolutely destroy any virus that may be on the old one?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:57 AM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Unless the viruses somehow wrote themselves in an unerasable part of the disk(low chances), a format will get rid of them. You can not use the back-up disks to install XP on another computer, Back-up disks contain computer-specific information about the setup and the hardware installed on the PC, and they may not be used to install XP on a different system. They may not be used to install XP on the same system even. To format, first use the windows right-click on all the other drives except for drive C, and choose the format option. Then, place the XP installation disc in, and restart the computer. While following the installation instructions, choose to completely format the drive you are installing to.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:05 AM   #5
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Thanks again for the response.
I was trying (perhaps poorly) to explain that I don't HAVE an XP installation disk. I don't even have an ME installation disk. Both computers were purchased with Windows installed and there was never any disk for either one. So I guess that means I have to go buy it, whick sucks. I was hoping not to have any more expenses, but I guess I have no choice. That is why I was hoping to use the backup disks.
Well, thanks for the info anyway. I appreciate it.
I just hope Windows isn't too expensive. Hopefully older versions are cheaper... Since it is an old computer to be used exclusively for this purpose, I don't need the latest version.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:08 AM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Nah, I got what you were trying to say. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Try calling the company that sold you the computer(new one) and get them to give you a CD. If I'm not mistaken, they're obligated to do so.. I may be off on this one.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:52 PM   #7
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

This sounds like what happened to one of my old PC's years ago. It sounds very much like Kazaa. Kazaa did the exact same thing to me, and I fixed it by reinstalling drivers IIRC. If you actually got XP with your computer (although didn't you say it was old?) Then you could just download another copy, since you already effectively purchased it.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

There is another way that you could get round not having the install disks, providing the sounds isn't damaged in the windows folder (which it probably is)

Get yourself a copy of partition magic and make a partition for windows, (10gbs is the norm) make it a primary partition, and the other secondary and logic. Then simply format your second partition, and see what happens. You will still have your windows files.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:26 PM   #9
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Lol. Ok, Ross, I appreciate the help, but I don't know what you are talking about...
Anyhow, the old computer has ME. My new one has XP.
The old one is now having all kinds of difficulty. It says it "cannot find" half the sites I am looking for.
Every time I run Ad-Aware, there are a dozen new things to delete.
Is there anything I can download that will *completely* annihilate any virus or spyware I might have? I am looking to basically nuke the poop out of this computer. Nothing has worked so far. I need the big guns.
Help....
Old 01-14-2005, 02:01 AM   #10
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Heya Arnabas. I had some major trouble with my primary PC this past year when I took it to a local PC shop to have the HD upgraded. I've also had LOTS of problems with spyware in the past.

Here is my recommendation for your current problems.

The company that sold you the computer IS obligated to provide the XP Installation disks with the computer when they sell it to you. If you ever have a problem that require Windows to be deleted and re-installed, you will need the ID code from the installation CD's.

To completely delete specific viruses or spyware from your PC, simply do a Google Search for the software in question. If you know what the software is called, just do a Google for "Remove Spyware XXX" and you will get a site providing specific instructions for removing that particular software. You can also list the software here. Many members (especially Larry the Mod) are very experienced at removing rogue software.

Since you have nothing of real value on your old machine, my recommendation would be to get the XP installation disks. If they aren't included in the stuff you received with your computer, then go back to the place where you bought it and tell them you need a copy of the installation disks. Once you have that, I would simply take your OLD PC into a reputable computer repair shop. Tell them to WIPE IT CLEAN. Get rid of EVERYTHING. Then just do a fresh install of Windows XP with the disks provided to you by the people who sold you the new one.

You're looking at about two hours (max) labor charge from the repair shop, which would be around $100-120. That may sound like a lot, but you will KNOW that the virus/spyware is definitely gone and that your old machine is now "up to specs" with your new machine.

For us computer illiterates, that's a pretty good bargain.

I kept trying to get my PC problem fixed with "hit and miss" troubleshooting. I finally said "Screw it. Erase EVERYTHING and re-install ONLY Windows." I also went back to the place that "upgraded" my PC and made them replace the motherboard and HD they had purchased and installed. Since both were less than a year old, they were still under warranty and the shop replaced them at no charge. My problem turned out to be a bad sector on the NEW HD. It took several months and quite a bit MORE than $120 to finally get that fixed. That's why I say to just take it to someone who works on computers profesionally and have them do a complete wipe-out and re-install XP.