Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2003, 10:45 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay, this one is a thought for any hackmeisters out there...

I'm in the beginnings of an MM6 game, which is no big news; what's big news is that it's a peasant game.

What's a peasant game? Simple. A game where your character starts out with nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. Nil. That's no inventory, no skills, no abilities, no spells, no nothing.

The object? To complete the game. The real challenge is that you've got nothing until you start defeating monsters. With your bare, puny hands that are technically no stronger than a three-year-old's. And I'm talking human here, not dragon.

So.... anyone interested in hacking such a game together? You'd basically have to zero out skills, abilities, and possessions.

If someone can do it, I'll play it. If I get time, I'll dig up Wyv's post on advanced game editing and see what I can do, but I've got a lot of other things going on these days.

Thoughts?

*B*
Minister, etc. (ret.)
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

So, Bungleau, are you suggesting that someone play a 'peasant' game in Wizards and Warriors?

It could be interesting, but would end up being similar to Radek's Tia. I think that in the interests of making the game harder, play with more characters. It could work, because the main power behind a solo char is that it gets sooo much XP it becomes godlike very quickly. If you had a number of peasants (say, 4) then I think it would be much harder for maybe the first half of the game.

Anyone care to try it out?

I think the hardest game you could play would be one with no magic whatsoever. Or one where once you have changed class once (ie from warrior to ranger) you must stay in that class for the rest of the game).

Just a few thoughts......

Cheers,

Moiraine Sedai
Old 06-29-2003, 02:10 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Oh, I know how to modify the stats of characters in W&W but I never did bother to figure out exactly where the skills were stored. Should be possibly though!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:01 PM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I think it all boils down to one issue: The fact that eventually all real challenge disappears from a role-playing game. I never thought it that fun imposing all sorts of limitations on my party. (Although I have always used the one ascention limitation suggested by Moiraine).
I wonder if we could do more with serious hacking. I have seen some posts way back dealing with the issue of adding new elements to the gameplay. I have very little knowledge of hacking, but I was wondering if anyone here thinks it were possible to make serious changes to the gameplay?
Old 06-29-2003, 03:57 PM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

Hmm, couldn't you put all you points on a "useless" stat, such as presence? And put all your skill points on a skill you wouldn't use?

Anywho for a challenging game, try a single character with [i]NO[/] level ups. I'm on such a quest and my poor warrior has been killed 17 times so far in the Serpent Temple. Im ready to give up on this.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:12 AM   #6
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Sorry WillowIX

I think your fighter will get fried.

It was an interesting idea though.....Maybe if you just limited the level ups.......

......................somehow

Oh well

Cheers,

Moiraine Sedai