Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-07-2003, 08:23 PM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

It's late and I'm on my way home, but I've wanted to [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] about this for three days now. NYC banned all cigerettes in bars and restaurants, as did California, and now so has Boston. Bar owners in Chicago are quaking in their boots as the City Council considers doing it here.

I'm sorry, but cigs are about HALF of what a bar is for. Plus, I'm tired of explaining to people from other countries why you can't light a f-ing cigarette in public in "the land of the free." I mean, if there is a market for non-smoking bars, that's fine -- let people go there and have a great time. But, as with many people, the only time I do smoke is when I'm drinking, and it's part of the experience for me.

I'll try to post more serious thoughts later, but if you hear about a city building suddenly imploding in the middle of the night in Chicago, rest assured that ol' Timber finally got wind that the smoking ban had passed into law.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:31 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I couldn't agree more, banning smoking from bars will be a major blowout for the owners. I can't imagine going to a bar or a club, and not being allowed to smoke. I'd rather drink my beer in the street then. I can understand why they would ban smoking from restaurants, but bars and clubs.... that sucks big time.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:35 PM   #3
ocelot
Dungeon Master

Hello Timber!
Your line of work expose's you to alot of downsides in environmental issues but tabacco fields and freedom in smoking, in smoking area's, should be fought for also. I like a smoke after a drink in many case's.

Let's take a close look at Mt. Vernon, home of our first President. Some of the best writings, plans, and idea's came from that creative thinking environment. Yea! you tell them Timber!
Old 05-07-2003, 08:49 PM   #4
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

here in AR it is still optinal for buissness owners, but i smoke all the time, and alot of ppeople will not go to a resturant where we can notsmoke after eating, what is the point?...because if you are a "true" smoker, you always like to light on up and enjoy it before going back into traficc, or while you are having a conversation, it is annoying to set in a placeand talk, while you are wantng a cig
Old 05-07-2003, 08:53 PM   #5
Charean
Hathor

They just passed the smoking ban in Dallas.

I figure if they can do it here, of all places, Chicago would be a cakewalk.

I am allergic to smoke, so I stopped going out to places because I couldn't handle it. Now I can go to a resturaunt again.

There really aren't good compromises for this issue. I wish there were.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:57 PM   #6
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I really don't like smoke, I even bug my dad when he does it around me, but they think they should know their limitations. Banning it froms bars and such is going overboard a bit, but I agree with them about the restaruants. Even if you're in a non smoking section, it still hovers over by you and quite honestly I don't want that near me when I eat.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:03 PM   #7
Arvon
Unicorn

As an ex smoker I'm the worst about smoking...But in the bar,or lounge I have not ptoblems with smokers. In the eating part of the establishment I hate smoking. Remember that all taste is aroma. When I order a nice wine, I don't want it to taste like a camel, or whatever is popular. I don't want my filet to taste like a cigar. So smokers take it to the lounge. As for me I think it stupid to put burning leaves in your mouth...

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 05-07-2003, 09:56 PM   #8
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I wonder if this will turn out just like the 1920's ban on alchohol... Perhaps in a few years we'll see Tobacco Barons and then the Mob will come back wiht imported products from cuba ( *cha-ching* ) and then after enough people die (from shootings not melanoma) They might re-think the whole ban thing and in 2013 we'll all be smoking again... then again the Mayans predict hte world will end in 2012 so maybe by then the No-Smoking situation will have gone nuclear? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 10:39 PM   #9
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I smoked for 30 years and 7 years ago I guit and not because sombody told me I had to, I quit because I didn't want to wake up and cough for 25 min. any more. I'm Not one for letting people tell me what to do and I always smoked when and where I wanted up until the last 3 years that I did smoke. I realized that other people around me didn't like the smell or the smoke its self so, I made a point not to smoke around people that didn't like it unless I was the first one to the spot I happend to have started smoking and then I'd tell them to get lost. All I can say about the Laws in New york is they should rename the place New Natzi land and declare open target shooting on the govener and mayor of the state. then throw the rest of the natzies in the government and their laws and there new taxes packing.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:16 AM   #10
WillowIX
Apophis

Well I agree about restaurants. There is no place for smokers in there IMO. But banning smokers from bars will probably just slap the non-smokers in the face, since most bars probably will face economic hardship.

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I'm sorry, but cigs are about HALF of what a bar is for. Plus, I'm tired of explaining to people from other countries why you can't light a f-ing cigarette in public in "the land of the free."
Direct them to a gun shop instead. At least guns don´t harm other people. Or wait?