Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #191
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
The funny thing is that we here are squabbling and bitching wheter or not he should stand trial and what his rights are, or should be, while he and his jolly band of buddies wouldn't hesitate a single second to slit our collective throats, and don't think for one second i'm overreacting.
Prove it. You're speculating on his guilt again!

[ 11-29-2006, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #192
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
The funny thing is that we here are squabbling and bitching wheter or not he should stand trial and what his rights are, or should be, while he and his jolly band of buddies wouldn't hesitate a single second to slit our collective throats, and don't think for one second i'm overreacting.
They also wouldn't mind setting off dirty bombs in civilian areas. The argument that "I can do it because my enemy would" does not jibe with the attitude that "I am morally superior to my enemy." You have both these attitudes, yet they are mutually exclusive.

The whole reason to fight the War on Terror is so that we do NOT become like them. Every step we take toward becoming like them is a victory for them. Every time we imprison someone and presume guilt and give them no trial, we have let a little Saddam into our hearts. It is a slippery slope.

Our society has rules we live by. Apparently, we like those rules and our society enough to fight for them. So, let's live by our rules, not theirs, and be us, not them.

[ 11-29-2006, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 11-29-2006, 04:07 PM   #193
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Prove it. You're speculating on his guilt again! [/QUOTE]Jesus Christ, quit playing a lawyer for once in your life, do i really need to find you some proof what the Taliban did to the people in Afghanistan, or what they had in mind for us ? My next door neighbour, he and his wife and kids are Afghan refugees, they fled the friggin country for people like Hicks and the rest that is being held captive in Guantanamo. You DO remember under what conditions the Afghans were living during the Taliban regime, don't you ? Why so concerned all of a sudden with the wellbeing of a lousy jihadist ? Hell, why even take em prisoner to begin with ?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #194
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Oh you just had to go and edit on me, don't you ?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #195
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
And Timber, just to put your mind at ease, 90% of the world ALREADY considers you guys terrorists, so you can drop the goodie two shoes sharade and be yourself again. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

See what you guys did ? Now you have me pulling a Yorick. People might get the impression i'm spamming to up my postcount.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:21 PM   #196
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Just for the record, when i quoted the first of my triplet post, i had the impression i was quoting Timber, hence the lawyer remark, i just noticed it was Yorick instead, so i'm sorry for the mixup, but weird things happen to me lately when i'm sober.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #197
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Jesus Christ, quit playing a lawyer for once in your life, do i really need to find you some proof what the Taliban did to the people in Afghanistan, or what they had in mind for us ?
Um.... no. We're not asking someone to convict the Taliban for their crimes -- what that group stood for and did is known. The piece of the puzzle that's missing here is proving that Hicks was in fact a member of the Taliban. If it's so frikkin obvious that he was, spend 15 minutes in front of a jury/judge proving it, then ship him off to wherever. But, you cannot imprison people without a trial.

Quote:
And Timber, just to put your mind at ease, 90% of the world ALREADY considers you guys terrorists, so you can drop the goodie two shoes sharade and be yourself again.
And I and other Americans like me are trying our DAMNEDEST to keep that from coming true. I like the U.S. of George. Just Washington, not Bush. We're supposed to be the frikkin "city on the hill" and we need to start acting like it. I'm rather attached to the notion of American Excellence, and I don't like to watch it slipping away.

And if we're so terrorist, how come every frikkin nation in the world calls us first when they have a tift with another nation?

[ 11-29-2006, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 11-29-2006, 04:45 PM   #198
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I haven't got a clue, but perhaps they (the rest of the world) think you're easier to stab in the back than others. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2006, 05:29 PM   #199
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Johnny, show me the trial transcripts that prove his guilt or give it a rest.
Yorick, do the same for the folks in charge of the prisoners at Gitmo or give THAT a rest.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #200
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Well, since we're supposed to be stepping all over the Geneva Conventions holding this guy, I still want to know what the burden of proof is in the Conventions. They supercede everything but the Constitution in this case, and yet, reading through them, I don't see anything that states that prisoners taken need to be tried. The attitude for the free him side seems to be that joining the Jihad is a criminal offence, but if it's truly a war, then his only "crime" is being on the other side, and in a war, that's not a crime. If there weren't two sides, it wouldn't be much of a war.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote