Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-18-2000, 09:23 PM   #1
TDZHON

Great game, better than the first. I haven't had so much fun with a game since I was 15 more than 15 years ago... This was so much like living in a dream I am almost speechless with approval.

It has a lot of special meaning to me since the last modules I did were Decent into the Depth of the Earth and Vault of the Drow (the sequals to Against the Giants) which are very similar to the plot lines here. I give this game an A+. 101 out of 100.

Old 10-19-2000, 08:44 AM   #2
Zlinky

I cannot believe I turn to a mageling for aid... I shall have form some guise, or honour him somehow - ach how can such a great one stoop so far down..(sorry, character joke), anyway, MAJOR SPOILER
Just making sure,
Anyhow- how the hell do you beat Irenicus/slayer 2nd time around - with his demon friends he's IMPOSSIBLE. Help!

Old 10-19-2000, 08:50 AM   #3
sneaksy

i agree tdzhon it is a great game brought back alot of memories for me speaking of those modules from grehawk it is a hobby of mine collecting them got about 5 or 6 to go for the lot i played as a dm in the greyhawk setting for 12 years best time of my life so far. life was simple then, you sound like your from my era when it all kicked off.

Old 10-19-2000, 11:21 AM   #4
TDZHON

*****SPOIL******

My party was unstoppable at that point. I didn't even lose a char in that battle.

First, Ignore Irnicus and take out each demon. Irenicus retreated on me to the opposite side. For some reason, the slayer was easy to kill. The best strat is to cast prot. from evil 10' radius - that will protect your mages and clerics. Wait for the globe of invuln to dissapear, then finish off Irenicus.

If you have the cloak of reflection, always put that char in front. Let him take the spell beatings - most of the spells are reflected. Once I got that cloak, I think I only died about 5 times in chaps 5 to 7. Before that, I had about 200 deaths. The dragons were a cake walk with the cloak. My char took them on SOLO!!! That cloak is really imbalanced. With my fighter wearing that thing and a dual classed cleric/thief I could do the entire game without much problem. I still love it - nice to get some revenge after falling victim to those gauths so many times. With that cloak, they kill themselves! And beholders are a joke.

Old 10-19-2000, 04:14 PM   #5
Zlinky

Tah, I've been ignoring the demons - I killed irenicus the first time SOLO, without even attacking or casting a spell, poor idiot casting cone of cold or frying himself - that cloak is SERIOUSLY cool.

Old 10-19-2000, 04:40 PM   #6
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

TDZHON ... I AGREE!! I am so happy that Black Isle has created this series of games. This, in my opinion, is what every computer RPG SHOULD be! Wonderful character development; excellently humorous & diverse scripting; Gifted voice acting; fabulous graphics; good story line ... I could go on & on. I finished it in 2 weeks the first time as a Chaotic Good Cleric, playing it every spare minute before & after work (thank god my family is understanding!). Now I'm playing it as a Mage. I am discovering new things all the time just through having a different party composition. At this point I plan to play it through again, trying out other kinds of characters too.
I think it's a great game -- it's the best combination of novels, movies and gaming. Can't wait for the next one!
Old 10-19-2000, 04:47 PM   #7
TDZHON

I skipped all those extra forrests on purpose in chap 6 so I can have some surprises my second time through.

I created a monk for fun. Some things about monks you many want to know:
Max CON bonus is +2.
They level like clerics, same thaco as thieves
Find traps ONLY frinds traps - you can't remove them (USELESS ARGH)
Can't dual wield or use two-handed weapons
since you have to be 18th level to get your hands equal to a +3 magic weapon, you will have a LOT of problems with many monsters.
You can't use haste. But you do walk VERY fast right at the start.

One of the best abilities of the Monk in AD&D was the climb walls and fall ability. They don't include that here, but at least they let you go above 17th level.