Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Should I work for the Nielsen Company?

I had a phone interview today and on Tuesday if I go to the meeting and make it through that, I will be sent to Oldsmar Florida for 8 weeks of training, being lodged and given a car while I am there. (I'll be coming to see you Ziroc!!). The Nielsen Company is the ones who put them boxes in peoples's homes to monitor their TV watching habits, and I am to be a bilingual installer. Skills in setting up equipment is the big requirement here. It pays $5,000 more than I currently make, has a car provided and funds for gas and maintenence. I would not have to move, since the job is close to home. It's a 7-day a week, on-call sort of job where I get told what hours I am to work, and on what days. There's bonuses every quarter for incentive to install correctly the first time. Everything seems dreamy.

However...

I have done some internet research and there are tons of disgruntled employees, previous employees and people who started training but did not make it through. One website, glassdoor.com that ranks and reports on businesses shows a 30% approval rating of how the management performs, and overall satisfaction with the company seems too low to ignore. I have read maybe four websites and forums that are filled with negative input on Nielsen.

My question...are they all full of hot air and no basis of actual truth? Does anybody here have personal experience with the company? Have you ever received an installation? How were the installers?

If not Nielsen...then I don't know where. I am tired of where I work in a Contact Center, having no room for growth and no hiring of other departments because those departments have happy people who won't leave
Old 08-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Re: Should I work for the Nielsen Company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post
I had a phone interview today and on Tuesday if I go to the meeting and make it through that, I will be sent to Oldsmar Florida for 8 weeks of training, being lodged and given a car while I am there. (I'll be coming to see you Ziroc!!). The Nielsen Company is the ones who put them boxes in peoples's homes to monitor their TV watching habits, and I am to be a bilingual installer. Skills in setting up equipment is the big requirement here. It pays $5,000 more than I currently make, has a car provided and funds for gas and maintenence. I would not have to move, since the job is close to home. It's a 7-day a week, on-call sort of job where I get told what hours I am to work, and on what days. There's bonuses every quarter for incentive to install correctly the first time. Everything seems dreamy.

However...
$5,000? Is that daily more than current, or annually?

Quote:
I have done some internet research and there are tons of disgruntled employees, previous employees and people who started training but did not make it through. One website, glassdoor.com that ranks and reports on businesses shows a 30% approval rating of how the management performs, and overall satisfaction with the company seems too low to ignore. I have read maybe four websites and forums that are filled with negative input on Nielsen.
Radcliff, KY, the small GI established town just outside the Ft. Knox main gate houses a Nielsen office. Those employee's report abuse from both supervisors and customers on a routine basis. You will only find supervisors with more than 6 months of loyalty, they have a tendency to lay people off just shy of 180 days. Unemployment benefit cycle here is more than 181 days!

Quote:
My question...are they all full of hot air and no basis of actual truth? Does anybody here have personal experience with the company? Have you ever received an installation? How were the installers?
Other than what I have read in the paper, and have heard from an acquaintance, who's son element works there. All of it is based upon company policy. I have no personal installation experience to speak on.

Quote:
If not Nielsen...then I don't know where. I am tired of where I work in a Contact Center, having no room for growth and no hiring of other departments because those departments have happy people who won't leave
Have you considered government? If the Hispanic population is notable to require a linguist, then surely government agencies will have the same need.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry, I forgot to say that the job pays $32,100. That's somewhat more than I make now.

Yes, I have been looking at government jobs too on their website. There's so many jobs on that site and takes a while to skim through. But I'm looking!

Maybe I should post my resume on IW and see where that gets me. I'd move anywhere I need to.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

When you meet on Tuesday, ask if you can talk to one of the other installers. Also, maybe you should mention your research and ask them to comment. See if they give you a believable answer or just squirm. An interview is a 2-way street, remember..

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Well Larry, todays employment section had a 1/3 page add for Spanish bilingual employees at our local Nielsen.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Tomorrow is the interview and I have not decided on whether or not I should go. If I pass and head to Florida, I'd be there for two months and then come back home and begin work in an area about 30 minutes from where I live. There's some excitement to the job and some worry all together but overall I don't know if it is a good career move...more like something to do while looking for a real job in a career that is a real career.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

errrmmm Larry

Shouldn't this thread be in the form of a poll with multiple answer options?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Good luck BTW

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Larry,
Just come up to Canada. We're nicer, have better health coverage, we're better looking and we're nicer too!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
Larry,
Just come up to Canada. We're nicer, have better health coverage, we're better looking and we're nicer too!
Okay...I have to point out that it was Venezuela that has won the past two Miss Universe pageants, giving them a history of six wins with only the US leading by seven. And that was Miss North Carolina up there in the top 10.

Besides that, I'll agree with everything else you said.