Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 01-13-2003, 03:27 AM   #1
jonnyx3
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Question Mark

I have a 8th level monk which I use for scouting and a back up fighter.

She has Dex 21 and Wis 18 which is great but her Str is only 10.
She hits a lot but her damage is pityful.

Has anyone any ideas on boosting her firepower.

I was planning to fit her out with bracers of Str or similar (as IWD 1) but the items & potions I have used so far simply add +1 or +2.
jonnyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:54 AM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

simple, just max her streght, dexterity and wisdom while lowering down her intelligent and charisma. the remaining points put it at constitution.

[ 01-13-2003, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:58 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
simple, just max her streght, dexterity and wisdom while lowering down her intelligent and charisma.
That is a good solution if you are a powergamer, but to me, it's just like cheating.

You can put every bonus attributes points you get in strength, or you could also have your monk fight with a weapon until she get higher in level, and her unarmed attacks are higher.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:15 AM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian :
That is a good solution if you are a powergamer, but to me, it's just like cheating.
huh? what? am I missing something here? pardon me for asking but monks don't have any need for intelligent and charisma. so you might as well lower down the attributes and put them on strenght, dexterity , wisdom and also constitution.

[ 01-13-2003, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Old 01-13-2003, 05:24 AM   #5
Zbyszek

I agree.
My monk: Human STR 18, DEX 18, CON 16, INT 3, WIS 18, CHA 3. Always 2 skill pts: one goes to move silently and the second one to Hide [img]smile.gif[/img]
Zbyszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:26 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

You meant to create a character with stats looking like those:

18 str
18 dex
10 con
3 int
18 wis
3 cha

Personally, I consider that kind of min/maxing to be exploiting the game engine. Dogs have 2 intelligence. That character could not even make complete sentence, and would be so offensive to look at, that people would try to kill him on sight. That's hardly a monk.

It COULD be possible, if he was an half-orc, but even other orcs would not want to be close to him, and might even be more likely to try and kill him, orcs are not the most peaceful creatures.

In any case, I don't see how such a character could have enough discipline to learn martial arts.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 11:51 AM   #7
jonnyx3
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the advice.

I tend to agree with Luvian in that whilst you can Min Max to suit a particular class it loses a degree of 'realism' if you do this.

I was thinking that I might mix in a level of fighter and start using a weapon (poss. a short sword with expertise feat).

Any thoughts on this solution?
jonnyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 06:40 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

no, it's better just to go monk all the way. having a single fighter will ruin your monk.

ps. I know it's not realistic to just have 3 intelliect but this game is almost hack and slash. you can still finish the game even with 1 intellect. different kind of game need different kind of thinking you know.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:02 AM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jonnyx3:
Thanks for the advice.

I tend to agree with Luvian in that whilst you can Min Max to suit a particular class it loses a degree of 'realism' if you do this.

I was thinking that I might mix in a level of fighter and start using a weapon (poss. a short sword with expertise feat).

Any thoughts on this solution?
Monks can already use some weapons, look in your proficiencies tab. I think they can use quarterstaff, Axes, Dagger, and sling. If it's an elf, it can use bow, too. Also, you can simply put a proficiency point in the weapon of your choice, but I agree with you, one level of fighter won't have any negative inpact on your character, and it will give you access to all weapons, armors, and give you the ability to use some fighter-restricted magic items.

Monks are not very good at low level, when they only do 1-6 damages, but later, their unarmed attack can go as high as 1-20.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:11 AM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
ps. I know it's not realistic to just have 3 intelliect but this game is almost hack and slash. you can still finish the game even with 1 intellect. different kind of game need different kind of thinking you know.
Just because you can emploit the game engine does not mean you have to. How can you be proud of yourself after completing a game, if you exploited it? It's like playing poker with somone who does not know the rules, and inventing new hands. How can you then be proud of your victory? That cheating.

It does not matter if the game is an hack and slash, rpg, fps, or anything else. When you do something that go against the spirit of the game, when you use flaws in the game engine to your advantage, it's cheating. You can come up with any justifications you want, it still won't change the fact that it's cheating.

If cheating make you feel special, then keep doing it, but personally, I would be ashamed. I would rather play and lose in a fair way, than win in a cheap way.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote