Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I know Ronn Bman posted a thread about this a couple of years ago - I'm thinking of getting it done here in OZ before I go. I've gotten tested and everything and apparently I'm a good candidate.

It's pretty expensive here - $3200 AUD per eye, but they do use the latest technology (they use IntraLase to make the inital flap incision on the cornea instead of a microkeratone razor, before using an excimer laser to reshape the cornea) and they've got an excellent track record. I can get both eyes done and should be back to normal in about a day or so.

I checked a couple of places in Boston and the quote I got was for $2500 US per eye (which is similar to here) but they don't use a laser but rather a razor for the initial incision, which slightly (as in about 0.5-1%) increases the risk of infection. I know 0.5-1% doesn't seem like a lot, if it was an appendix I wouldn't care - but these are my eyes we're talkinga about.

Anyone done LASIK eye surgery here? Can you share your insights?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:43 AM   #2
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

I know someone who had laser eye treatment about six, seven years ago (god I'm getting old), well it got messed up and his vission got worse, to the point where he had migrane headaches that intifered with his work.

You probably won't go blind, but you'll have terrible eyesight if they don't get it just right.

So make sure you get to talk to past patients, find out how their treatment went and if they had any problems.

Also, it's still a new kind of treatment, as in, no one knows what might happen, ten, twenty, thirty years down the line.

So, if you need glasses to see it might be a good option, if you only need them for a few things it's something to stear clear of IMHO.

Weigh up your options, check to see what their policy is on corrections, make sure they arn't going to charge you extra to fix it if they screw up.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

A friend did it and said it was awesome, only trouble she had was how expensive it was.
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:40 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I did Lasik in Feb. 1999.

I got it done from the Lasik center, which has moved to Charlotte, NC now. I paid nearly what you quoted in your post, Memnoch, but was lucky enough to be with an insurance group at the time that covered 25%.

As I think I mentioned before, there was no pain or anything other than a minor itch or tickle while the procedure was being done, and I was told to hold "very" still. After that, I had to wear these stupid cups over my eyes, taped on at night so that I would not rub my eyes while I slept. Having somebody in bed with me that helped make sure that I did not do so in my sleep was a requirement in my case. My wife could not sleep for two weeks because she was so worried about me, and so stood guard very well.

A most important aspect of getting this done was the eye drops. There were wet drops and there were anti-infection drops...but those drops went away after the two week pending period was up. Then it was wetting drops from then on for about two months. The moisture was required for healing.

Another requirement is that I have to go every year to the TLC recommended eye doctor to be checked. If I stop going, I void my contract with them that in the event of the need for an augmentation...I will not have to pay. The cost you pay up front covers you for life, in the event of a mishap. BTW...My doctor says that he has never seen a patient heal so well that he cannot even see the seam where the incisions were made. I have better vision than 20/20. I think its like 20/10. The reason for that is because the surgery is supposed to get you as close to 20/20 as possible, and to do that, they have to over-compensate. Healing of the eyes brings you back out of focus in the direction you were in, so they overshoot so that the healing stops at as close to 20/20 as possible. Well...I healed so fast that I stayed near their initial shot, and did not relapse so far. I am quiet pleased with that.

Problems that were immediate: Had to wear sunglasses at night for like a month because some ass-holes leave their brights on when they are driving. You think its blinding with normal eye-sight...try getting hit with those lights after surgery!

Another problem was certain colors and certain lights. The color yellow was down-right offensive to my eyes and I despised looking at anything in that color. Neon colors also were nasty...and to this very day, I cannot look directly at the new street lights that are green...they are not lamps behind glass anymore...they have these new ulta bright lights that are light 100 little tiny spots of digital light or something. And neon lights at night are blurry as hell. However, not so bad as to cause "night-blindness"...just night light irritation. That brings about another thing. I have better night vision if there is no direct light source shining in my eyes than other people I talk with. I can see things further and in more detail than they can at night...just as long as there is no neon around.

I hope this has been helpful.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

A friend of mine got it done a couple of years ago. Intralase is the way to go in his book, and in mine (since I've got it in my future plans). The reason? The cut is made via computer, and not via hand. It's therefore much straighter and smoother, and healing takes less time. Another friend got it done the "old" way, and he was quite a while with the anti-rubbing cups at night. My friend with intralase was, IIRC, back to "normal" in just a few days.

*Note* He and I talked about this over a year ago. This is all from my memory, so exact details (like the time for healing) may not be exact. The basics are, though... at least, as exact as I can make it.

I'm for it, and planning on it.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:27 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Q'aaloaith, my prescription is -7.5/-8.5, in that I can't see at all if I take my glasses off. I can't recognise people's faces if they're 5 feet away from me. This is the reason I'm considering it - even if they undercorrect me it'll still be better than what I have now.

I'd like to do it using IntraLase, but it costs twice as much!! I'm trying to convince myself that the extra cost is worth it.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My friend who had intralase measured recovery time in days. My friend who had the other method measured recovery time in months. During that time, if you rub your eyes too hard (or wrong, apparently), you can open the incisions or something like that.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:27 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Well then Mem, I don't know anything about this really, but common sense says that you can't really get much worse than that anyway even if they screw something up (chance of which is very slim as everyone says). You don't sound like you have much to lose in terms of eyesight, only in terms of money. Where health's concerned, I try to see it as money is almost no object (I save on other things instead like drink etc.). So if you can, go for the better option even if it costs more, IMO. I'm -5/-5.5 and I'm not even considering this $hit though, glasses and contacts are ok. Stay away from me surgeons
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

Actually, I saw a news report on how 'Lasik' worsens your eyes over time. About some woman in DC. She couldnt see her kids after about 6 months. Went blind in 14. She also said that even small lights blinded her, and the ones she could see looked like a starburst. Just keep the contacts. Don't risk it.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
ogopogo
Manshoon

I dont post here much, but the post caught my eye (bad pun)... I had PRK done 2.5 years ago, and while painfull for 2 days it was the best thing I have ever done... If I did it again I would have done Lasik, just because the pain is said to be much less... I went from -4.0 , -4.0 (not that bad but bad enough that I needed corrective lenses all the time) ... I am now perfect 20/20 vision, and have been for 2.5 years with no complications...(age 35)

I also have 4 friends who all had lasik and all are very happy with it... Only one person had complications, that being having "halos around streetlights while driving" which cleared up after about 6 months...

The only downside, according to eye doc was that I will probably need reading glasses 1 or 2 years earlier then I may have pre-sugrery... A fine tradeoff by me [img]smile.gif[/img] ...

Like Larry said, take your drops and visit for your checkups and I am sure you will be happy with descision... BTW it cost me 2100$ cdn for both eyes... approx 1500$ USA... Was same price for both PRK and lasik...
ogopogo is offline   Reply With Quote