Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2002, 08:32 AM   #1
lroyo

I will start this review by giving Signs 7.5 out of 10. Unfortunately after reading reviews before seeing it, and watching the trailer, 7.5 out of 10 seems somewhat disappointing. It’s been made out to be a classic, and the best movie of the year etc. This movie is good, I will not deny that, but it is by no means a classic film.
As you would probably know, Signs is a movie by M Night Shyamalan (the director of The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable). It brings to screen the fascinating event of the visitation of aliens, but does it in an original way. It does not, as Independence Day did, show us the whole invasion from start to finish, displaying the destruction and eventual victory of Americans (ahem…I mean humans). It shows the event as it unfolds for one particular family, leaving the rest of the world’s reaction and response to the imagination.
But this story, is not what is focused on. Signs cannot be categorised as a purely Science Fiction movie (although it has many elements from the genre). It cannot be categorised as a purely Horror movie (although it has it’s fair share of effective scares and suspense). It is a Drama movie that tells the story of a man who has lost his faith in God, and through a miracle, regains his faith. Therefore, many people may find themselves disappointed with certain aspects of the film, such as the aliens themselves (let’s face it, beings that can create spaceships that can make it to Earth and become transparent during the day, should be able to find their way out of a pantry), or the lack of Independence Day style action. There are many many holes and flaws in the actual alien invasion storyline, but the director has a more primary message which he successfully gets across.
If this primary message and storyline had been an amazing insightful experience, then this movie would probably go down as a 10 out of 10 classic (at least in my opinion). Unfortunately, the message is unoriginal, and quite frankly, not that impactful.

Overall, I would say that Signs is most definitely intriguing and entertaining, but slightly disappointing as well. Go see it at the movies (particularly for the sequence where the aliens enter the house), but don’t expect to be completely blown away by it.

Please post your reaction,
Avi.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:23 PM   #2
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hi there Avi how are you? long time no see [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Yeah i have not see the movie yet but i do when it come here to this contry!! After what i have read about it so is it a great movie i think.
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 08:26 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
This one i gotta see.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:59 AM   #4
lroyo

I read another few reviews today, and I can't believe how many 10 out of 10 type comments are being thrown around. Tell me what you think of it when you see it Johnny.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:25 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I will Avi, but first i gotta bring my VCR to a repairshop. I'm just a little in doubt at the moment. should i get a new VCR, or a DVD ? Or maybe both ? I have a very large collection of videos and it would be a shame if i could never see those again.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:00 PM   #6
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
I will Avi, but first i gotta bring my VCR to a repairshop. I'm just a little in doubt at the moment. should i get a new VCR, or a DVD ? Or maybe both ? I have a very large collection of videos and it would be a shame if i could never see those again.
I think you should have both Johnny because if you have many vhs films it would be a shame to not have a vcr but DVD is the thing to day and the best is to buy a RWDVD also a dvd player you can record on, but they are wery expensive yet so maby wait for that one at least a year more befor you buy one! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote