Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2001, 01:39 PM   #31
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Anyone here owns a TV?? I do, when I see something on that TV I donīt like, I switch the channel. IW is like a TV , alot of nice people and very different people. YOu canīt love all, but you are in control of everything, since you can choose not to respond or not read that wich you donīt like. However under the guidelines of IW there are some basic rules that tries to make one point certain: We are all here because we like it and want to have fun and exchange ideas in a friendly manner.

Memnochs statement fromn Voltaire is a great guideline. WE come from all over the world here and yet we have only had a few mishaps so far. That is great IMHO.

Political? Well why not. We discuss the bible and religion, best things to do during a powerfailure. So why not politics. One donīt like it, one donīt have to read it and one donīt have to post there!

A friend of mine said something really funny about this when another friend got an ugly T-shirt with some ad for a video game.
"Just because you get a T-shirt, doesnīt mean that you HAVE to wear it!"

(He didnīt say thoose exact words since he spoke swedish at the time being! )

------------------

Be vevvy qwiet..Iīm hunting wabbits...
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 09-07-2001, 01:46 PM   #32
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
I have seen quite a few political and serious topic discussions go on in this forum without them turning into flame wars. Some of them have been in-depth, intelligent discussions. It all depends on who is participating in them as to which direction they will go.
If we all remember to be civil with others and their opinions that differ from our own, there is really no need to make a separate forum for more serious discussions.
You always have the option not to post in any thread or to discontinue posting in one when someone else makes it hard for you to carry on an intelligent conversation!

I know you all see how well the serious discussion forum at Mithril Hall works but that segregates the community. Their General Discussions forum is so tame! Their Serious discussions forum is so serious! At least here, we can all converge with our discussions, jokes and casual conversation all at once! It is no different than belonging to a large family!
I would hate to see this forum fall to mere chit-chat!

I coulden't agree more Moni if this forem was just chit-chat it would be so dull. The idea of a seperate forem is ok but then not as many people wold see it or bother to read it. IMHO.

------------------
People are born and people die and yeat life goes on without a care.
Old 09-07-2001, 01:53 PM   #33
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Your first sentence was a flame, albeit a small one.

A flame is a disparaging/insulting remark about someone at a personal level.

The rest of your post is commenting about his post, so that's ok.

And no, you don't have to delete it, just as I didn't ask Rahnid to delete his. I thought I'd call it to your attention as I don't want a flame war to develop.

But there's no worries of that. I'm here.

Oh. OK. Point taken. Though I didn't actually USE a cuss word, I see what you mean - it was a denigrating personal comment. I'll go crawl under my stone.

------------------

Old 09-07-2001, 02:20 PM   #34
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade:
I coulden't agree more Moni if this forem was just chit-chat it would be so dull. The idea of a seperate forem is ok but then not as many people wold see it or bother to read it. IMHO.

Blade, the idea is that GD would still have plenty of topics of a serious nature, but the really hot ones that are guaranteed to draw many opposite views and possibly offend some individuals who stumble into them without meaning to, would be in a forum dedicated to such things.

Originally, I was not much for the idea, myself. But recently became very annoyed to see how thoroughly messed up the Polls forum is now. It is NOT a polls forum anymore. These sorts of controversial things are being discussed THERE and many people who might like to join in, didn't realize it, while some who thought they'd find simple polls there were surprised to find hot button topics being thrashed about. I think we need to do one of three things-
1) send those talks to GD
2) rename that forum the Polls and Hot topics board ( )
3) create a separate place for such things so that those who wish to participate know where to find them and those who don't, know what to avoid

I know that I've mentioned as much to Z and I'm sure others have. He will no doubt discuss the idea with people if he wishes, but ultimately this is HIS board and HE will decide what he wants for topics/forums and such.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 09-07-2001).]
Old 09-07-2001, 02:23 PM   #35
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Oh. OK. Point taken. Though I didn't actually USE a cuss word, I see what you mean - it was a denigrating personal comment. I'll go crawl under my stone.
*giggle* awww, F, you only did it once! Come on out and play some more! Besides, rocks are hard to hide under without getting all mucky!

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
Old 09-07-2001, 02:46 PM   #36
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Blade, the idea is that GD would still have plenty of topics of a serious nature, but the really hot ones that are guaranteed to draw many opposite views and possibly offend some individuals who stumble into them without meaning to, would be in a forum dedicated to such things.

Originally, I was not much for the idea, myself. But recently became very annoyed to see how thoroughly messed up the Polls forum is now. It is NOT a polls forum anymore. These sorts of controversial things are being discussed THERE and many people who might like to join in, didn't realize it, while some who thought they'd find simple polls there were surprised to find hot button topics being thrashed about. I think we need to do one of three things-
1) send those talks to GD
2) rename that forum the Polls and Hot topics board ( )
3) create a separate place for such things so that those who wish to participate know where to find them and those who don't, know what to avoid

I know that I've mentioned as much to Z and I'm sure others have. He will no doubt discuss the idea with people if he wishes, but ultimately this is HIS board and HE will decide what he wants for topics/forums and such.

Cloudy

Not saying that we could not live with separate forums, this one just won't be the same.
It'll be like sending all the kids to their respective rooms rather than allowing everyone to be in the same room, laughing, talking, butting heads...whatever...as adults normally do when they socialize in RL.

I still don't see a need for it, even the User Created Polls questions are generated to get a variety of opinions, which is what polls do!
So what if the nature of some of them touch on more serious topics? Its not like that forum is strictly for listing what are your favorite foods, types of music, etc without being allowed to have some input from members on the subject of the poll right? If the moderators there see that some threads don't belong in a "Polls" setting, what is to stop them from moving them over here where we, for the most part, have proven that we can all act like the adults that most of us are? Even the younger people here at IW show a vast depth of intelligence and wisdom!

I know very well that this is Ziroc's forum and that he will do as he sees fit but to let the wishes of a few people who don't even want to see titles of threads that they would rather not participate in rule over the majority who can handle this forum and like it the way it is will be showing favoritism to the "players" rather than the "participants", if you can understand what I mean.

As long as we can all follow the rules, what's wrong with this forum now that wasn't wrong with it six months ago?

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-07-2001, 03:12 PM   #37
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
*giggle* awww, F, you only did it once! Come on out and play some more! Besides, rocks are hard to hide under without getting all mucky!

Cloudy

*Fljotsdale crawls out, dusts herself off, and twists her toe in the mud, looking foolish* "Oh - ok then, if you're sure? It IS a bit icky under there - worms and stuff..."

------------------

Old 09-07-2001, 03:24 PM   #38
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Personally I'm with Moni on this one. I like the mix of silly, chatty, serious and yep even the that all goes to make GD the diverse grab-bag of threads it is today. I kinda like opening a thread and not being sure of where it will lead or how serious it is going to get.

And if I don't like the tone or type of one thread, well, there's always the next one.........

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 09-07-2001).]
Old 09-07-2001, 03:45 PM   #39
Moni

Amen Mouse! It is unique isn't it!

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-07-2001, 03:46 PM   #40
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

As I've said, my view on it has been in both camps so far. Not really sure either way, but one thing is for sure, things can and do get lost when put in places nobody expects to find them. Thus the misconception on polls. A poll is not a discussion, albeit it may contain info pertintent to an answer, it is not expected to be a "I believe this, what do you believe" set of threads, but a "Do you believe x, y or z or other" type of thread. And my point is simple, such things DO become discussions so the two have blended there.

Someone (in msn) told me that people were doing that on purpose. IE: holding 'serious, HOT topic discussions" in POLLS to avoid offending people here in GD! I was bothered for one reason: GD was MADE for such things as well as the fluff and I wondered if this person was right. Were people holding those debates/discussions there INSTEAD of GD for that reason? Or was it just a simple matter of where one happened to be when a topic came up? Same idea, though. It's happening elsewhere, not in GD, so we have, de facto, a separate forum already!

For the record, I can count on ONE hand and have fingers left over, the number of times I've brought forum related things up with our Webmaster in my time here at IW. In fact, other than informing him of troll activity and asking about private messaging or chat, I'd have to say that this is the ONLY time I've made upgrade suggestions! And in any case, I put forth ALL options when I suggest things to Z, so 'player' or 'participant', I never forcefeed ANYONE my views. I offer them as options and point to what I prefer.

Cloudy, glad that it's Friday and she goes home in 15 minutes

------------------

Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 09-07-2001).]