Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-26-2001, 07:27 AM   #1
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Okay, I am doing the Trademeet Quests and want to use Cernd to challenge Faldorn. However, I am kind of stuck. Cernd does okay until Faldorn shapeshifts into her panther form, after that he dies. I'm sick of reloading all the time! Is my party too low level (Cernd lvl 10)? Can anyone help me here?

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Magess of Lady Lioness' Court
Saint of the SoS
Historian of IW
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Once Upon A Paper Writer's Forum
Old 10-26-2001, 07:30 AM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

Normally, I let Jaheira do the challenge, but my tactic: put as many defense spells on Cernd right before the battle so he will already have an advantage. And with Jaheira, the first thing I always do is a shapechange to the strongest animal she can do, not await Faldorn to do so. While she is hitting you with a piece of wood (quarterstaff), you're already hitting her with your black bear claws or whatever you changed in. Normally Faldorn doesn't even get the chance or time to do her shapechange thingy.

------------------
Not a member of any clan and is cool with that.
Talk about anything you want at The Elysium.
For online roleplaying, check The Elysium Gaming Project.
Old 10-26-2001, 07:33 AM   #3
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hm... with me, once I get Faldorn down to Near Death, she shapechanges into an *uninjured* panther-like thing. It is very annoying, it killed poor Cernd in a few blows. Is this supposed to happen?

EDIT: Just retried with Jaheira, this time she *didn't* shapeshift after death. well, without that slight bug, it was easy.

[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 10-26-2001).]
Old 10-26-2001, 07:41 AM   #4
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
Hm... with me, once I get Faldorn down to Near Death, she shapechanges into an *uninjured* panther-like thing. It is very annoying, it killed poor Cernd in a few blows. Is this supposed to happen?
I believe so... But for some reason, Faldorn never does her shapechange when I shapechanged the first in such a battle... Just try it, the moment Cernd has to face Faldorn in the pit, let him shapechange right away and the battle should be a piece of cake. Just keep attacking her, if she's under constant attack it will be very difficult for her to cast any spell in her defence, including shapechange.
Edit: Ah, I see you've already defeated Faldorn.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Grojlach (edited 10-26-2001).]
Old 10-26-2001, 09:17 AM   #5
Ares

I just cast charm on Faldorn and made her cast animals and so did Cernd so i had a lot of creatures to kill him when the charm wore off.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:34 AM   #6
MrO
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I used to hit her with an insect swarm while she was casting her buffs and then shifted into animal form. She ususally got her ironskins off, but with the insects doing perpetual damage, and the bugs killing any other spells, she was pretty much helpless.

Mr. O
Old 10-26-2001, 09:40 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
I believe so... But for some reason, Faldorn never does her shapechange when I shapechanged the first in such a battle... Just try it, the moment Cernd has to face Faldorn in the pit, let him shapechange right away and the battle should be a piece of cake. Just keep attacking her, if she's under constant attack it will be very difficult for her to cast any spell in her defence, including shapechange.
Edit: Ah, I see you've already defeated Faldorn.

Just for other people's benefit, the best option is to buff Cernd up with Haste, Defensive Harmony and other spells and then shapeshift him into a Greater Werewolf (or Werewolf). Just melee Faldorn till she's dead. She won't be able to cast anything.

------------------
Old 10-26-2001, 09:55 AM   #8
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Just for other people's benefit, the best option is to buff Cernd up with Haste, Defensive Harmony and other spells and then shapeshift him into a Greater Werewolf (or Werewolf). Just melee Faldorn till she's dead. She won't be able to cast anything.

Exactly! but do this right before you challenge Faldorn, it will save you some time once the battle in the arena starts. Else she will have more time to cast spells of her own.

------------------
Old 10-26-2001, 11:54 AM   #9
crimsonson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What level is Jaheira?

Since you supposedly need level 14 to challenge the grove maybe the Panther is a safety to preserve this prerequisite. Cernd is only level 10....

Just a thought... it may not be the case at all.
Old 10-26-2001, 12:16 PM   #10
Guiles73
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I don't know if you are doing it or not, but don't forget to use your own druid's shapechange ability. The druid heals some damage when they take animal form and heals some more when reverting back to human form. It certainly helps when fighting the challenge