Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 09-21-2005, 07:05 PM   #1
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

Having completed Icewind Dale, Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster...where do I go to now? Should I try Icewind Dale II, or maybe the Baldur's Gate saga? Any suggestions?
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
Jaguar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm just finishing up IWD and once I'm done, I'm gonna load up Baldur's Gate II. From the looks of it, BG2 is gonna be a lot better than IWD.

Lemme know what you decide to do there, Gauntlet.
Music to my ears; \"I love you, daddy.\"<br /><br />--Holly, my three-year old baby.<br /><br />Visit my friends and I at [url]\"http://www.golom.com/forums\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.golom.com/forums</a>
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:34 AM   #3
Zaleukos
The Magister

Depends on if you want a RPG (BG) or a linear tactical game with a superior ruleset (IWD2).

I would go for BG+TotSC+BG2+ToB, playing through BG1 and TotSC with the BG2 engine (tutu is best for this). Its a bit odd for a Barbarian to grow up at Candlekeep though:p

EDIT: I think its better to do BG first as the ruleset in IWD2 is different and IMHO so much better that its hard to go back after having tasted it BG has A LOT of dialog and Fed-ex quests compared to IWD though.

[ 09-23-2005, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: Zaleukos ]
Zaleukos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaleukos:

I would go for BG+TotSC+BG2+ToB, playing through BG1 and TotSC with the BG2 engine (tutu is best for this).
In my opinion you should play with the noraml BG engine if you're playing for the first time, and forget about Tutu. But that's just me who likes to taste the original atmosphere of all games before trying any mods.

As for what to play first I'd too suggest BG because of it using same rules.

That said, you should play IWD2 too once you finish the BG saga. Not only to continue the storyline but also because it is a nice way to get introduced to the third edition rules, as it uses same Infinity Engine and makes a nice transition between IE games and Neverwinter Nights.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:35 AM   #5
Zaleukos
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
quote:
Originally posted by Zaleukos:

I would go for BG+TotSC+BG2+ToB, playing through BG1 and TotSC with the BG2 engine (tutu is best for this).
In my opinion you should play with the noraml BG engine if you're playing for the first time, and forget about Tutu. But that's just me who likes to taste the original atmosphere of all games before trying any mods. [/QUOTE]I cant really see any reason to play BG1 with the original engine except the fact that some of the kits are overpowered for BG1 (being immune to charm makes certain maps just a tad easier), but you can play without using kits if that bugs you. Thinking of interface alone BG2 has faster character movement, higher resolution, autopause when trap found, item/door highlighting that helps with those doors that cant be seen due to the isometric perspective in the city of Baldurs Gate, and the option to get max HP on level up for those who are as lazy as me
Zaleukos is offline   Reply With Quote