Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
Epilepsy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm thinking of taking the main party (Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, and Dynaheir) through the full series, since I've never done that before. I can't stand most of them, but I want to experience the story. Anyway.

Will they be able to survive all of BGI and TotSC? My PC's going to be a paladin, probably an Inquisitor in BGII. Anomen and Aerie'll join, as well.

The normal game is easy enough, but Durlag's Tower, Aec'Letec, and Werewolf Island are worrying me.
Epilepsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Yes, very much so. I did the same party once long ago. While it's not the optimal powergaming party, it's a quite good one.

For consistency, you could even dual-class Imoen at level 7, but you'll be without thieving skills for quite a long time!

BTW, you experience the story just as well without these NPCs. Don't feel railroaded into taking them unless you really want to.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
Epilepsy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah, I know, I've just never used the original party before, so I figured I'd see what it's like.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

hey shoudl survive, but if Jaheira dies, it's no big deal [img]tongue.gif[/img]

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

yes, the party will work fine. I've run through the game with this party a number of times and I haven't gotten bored of this party combo yet. You've got your thieving from Imoen (you will want to carry some potions of perception in Durlag's Tower), healing form Jaheira, spell casting from Dynaheir, a great tank in Minsc, a pretty good fighter from Khalid (he's pretty good with the Spider's Sword), and another fighter if you are a paladin.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
AeonsLegend
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You guys like Imoen? I dispise her, although her thieving skills are the best in the game. She becomes more annoying in BGII SOA. I simply can't stand her... I think the creators agreed and then did what they did.

Aside from that the party sounds ok. I've run through the entire game (incl ToB) with them before. They do seem to have more to do with you and since they are the only characters that you can play in BG as well as in BG II it does seem they bring more background into the story.
Jaheira is a good druid with good THAC0, minsc is killer with the two handed sword and Imoen is a great thief. Now all you need is a mage and you're set.

[ 01-06-2006, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: AeonsLegend ]
AeonsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Well, frankly, I've never seen any reason to dislike Imoen; her cheerfulness can get annoying after repeated games, sure, but she's not even close to the syrupy cuteness offered by, say, Alora. And between Imoen's soundset and Safana's, I'll take the girl next door over the lame, wannabe seductress any day. And you can't fault her build either: Effective maxima in DEX and CON, great CHA if you need it, and she makes a damn fine Thief->Mage to boot. Well-positioned Thieving points, too. She can't max out in all the Thieving skills by herself (no one can in BG1), but double her with Montaron or Coran and you're all set to kick all kinds of ass.

In BG2, she's only annying in the starting dungeon, but that's only because there's no way to turn off all her stupid interjections that she's blurting out for the umpteenth time. ("Dude, just SHUT UP, Imoen! This is like the 50th time we've been through this dungeon, I don't NEED to hear you talk about how books remind you of Candlekeep!")

Anyway....yeah, the "Continuity Approved" party is pretty solid, given that you've built a kickass Warrior PC. They obviously aren't the best party you can put together, but they'll see you through. The only weak points I can see are Khalid and Jaheira: Khalid's stats won't really let him shine either in ranged or melee combat; in my opinion, he's rendered completely obsolete by Kivan. And Jaheira's spells just plain suck in BG1, but then again, that's BioWare's fault, not hers, for including all the good Cleric spells and none for the Druids. (Tutu should fix this, though.) Then again, Jaheira's stats are nothing to write home about either--I'd like to buff her BG1 stats up to what they are in BG2, or at least average them both together and give Druids some worthwhile spells in BG2.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Epilepsy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Six:

What's your favorite party for interaction, by the way?

Also, your favorite class.

\/ Me? No.

[ 01-06-2006, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Epilepsy ]
Old 01-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hmm, is your main char called Abdel?
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #10
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I agree with sixy over there, 'cept for one minor thing:

The party works best with some sort of Warrior/Healer type, whether it be a Fighter/Cleric (multi or dual), or a Paladin, which works great as well.