Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 07:06 AM   #1
The.Jester
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hiya,

I've got the continuing problem of system crashes when loading a save game. I tried to get system checked through but found nothing, also i got everything else down to free system resource, but still the system crashes in one out of two times. I noticed my version is 1.04, but it seems there's some version 1.05 around, only i can't find it. Anyway, this seems about the only place, where there is some active discussion about the game, all official sites and telephone numbers seem to be down.
Has anyone else experienced this problem or has an idea, what to do?
The.Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Well, the first question is do you have the exapansions? If you have HoW then I suggest you get the TotL expansion which is the only way to get the latest patch.

Does the crash always happen when you load a saved game?

Does it happen when you start a new game too? If so it could be a graphics problem. It would be very useful if you could provide more details about the specs of your computer, especially the OS and graphics card.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:05 AM   #3
The.Jester
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK, so let's give precise details:

I have a german game version and the heart of the winter expansion installed (german, too). I didn't even know there's another expansion around (whatever TotL may be standing for). I should have liked to get the latest patch, but i couldn't find any place, where to get it (all interplay sites seem to be down somehow).
My system is a Windows 98/SE, which otherwise is running more or less stable. My CPU is a 700 MHz Duron installed on a Gigabyte Board with VIA chipset, graphic card is an ELSA Erazor III LT (i.e. TNT2), soundcard is a Sounblaster 128.

Fortunately the system doesn't always crash when I load a saved game, but, as said, in about half of all cases (perhaps the rate is a tiny bit better towards loading succesfully). Since not only Icewind Dale, but the whole system crashes, this spoils the game more than just a bit.

I only tried starting a new game once or twice and in these cases there didn't seem to be any problems, but meanwhile i had some crashes while the game was autosaving (but this is only in 5 - 10% of all cases, so i could live with that).

Would be very glad, if anybody could identify this problem or, even better, come up with a solution.

Kind regards,

the Jester
Old 09-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Hi.

Well.. thats a really strange problem.

First thing to try is:
_Reinstall! Make sure you back-up your saved games first.
_Install the game again with TotL. You can find it here http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/iwd/info/luremaster/
The TotL expansion is the *only* way to get the latest patch. DONT INSTALL ANY OTHER PATCHES. Your order of installation should be:
IWD
HoW
TotL

Another good this would be to turn off 3D acceleartion in the game configuration. I remeber it causing me no end of problems on a TNT2 card.

If this dont work let me know.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:01 AM   #5
The.Jester
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi,

first of all: thanks for all the help! Unfortunately I've got some trouble getting that extension. On the link you gave, there's something about a free extension by interplay, but when trying to get it, I am being redirected to a site called 'file planet' which needs a subscription of 6.95 $ a month, which i wouldn't want to pay.
Is there any place where one cna get this download for free?
Old 09-11-2005, 07:40 AM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Actually besides file planet monthly and annual you can get a login for free if you click on the "Dont have an account? Get one" link. If you use the free one you will have to wait in line (around 5-10 mins) before you get your download. But it works fine.

you can also get it very easily from http://www.download.com/Icewind-Dale...ml?tag=lst-0-1 but ONLY the English version
Old 09-11-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Never mind that. I found a site with a proper german version. Here

http://cheatz.spieletips.de/cgi-bin/...=how142deu.zip
Old 09-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #8
Soothsayer
Dungeon Master

Just a quick question, do you use any custom portraits?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:58 AM   #9
The.Jester
Elite Waterdeep Guard

No, I do not use any custom portraits, though my characters are not 'from the stack', but designed personally (needed some patience to get good attributes, though).

After downloading that patch the situation concerning the loading of save games even bettered; only now i've got a different problem:
I am playing level 5 of the Dragon's Eye and the game crashes continuedly - in the middle of a fight, while casting a spell, virtually everything seems to get the gam crashed. I tried starting a new game and everything worked fine, so i guess the problem is with the level - has anyone else experienced something similar, has a clue as to what could be the problem or even a solution?

regards,

Jester