Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2001, 06:17 PM   #1
Jason the Red
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You the man! I didn't even need the tanks, the Wild mage took care of the whole fight ! Bloody Dragon was dead in the second round! I am not using the mages to the full potential evidently. Thanks for the help!
Jason the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 01:21 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Awwww, you flatter me. Always glad to help a fellow Mage/Sorcerer.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 08:36 AM   #3
Lord Ed
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Would you please re-post the strategy to which you are referring or point me in the right direction to find it myself? Thanks, Lord Ed
Lord Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 11:32 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Strategy I gave for Jason the Red.

Some methods to kill Dragons, some cheesy, some not. All of them work, because I personally took the effort to try them all out.

1) Cloudkill method: Widely popular among those who are not used to fighting Dragons yet, you basically cast multiple Cloudkills out of the Dragon's sight, The area of effect will hit the Dragon, but the Dragon will not fight back because it cannot see you.

2) Trap method: Mostly nerfed with ToB, but basically you lay traps galore around the Dragon before talking smack to it. Instant kill. In ToB however, do not use this method, the Dragon will go hostile if you lay traps within it's visual range. You can still however, lay traps outside it's visual range, then lure it to your trap fest.

3) Polymorph method: Works best if you cast Greater Malison and Doom beforehand, Lower Resistance will help too. Basically, you end up fighting a squirrel that cn wing buffet but nothing else. No magic casting, no melee attacks, no dragon's breath. Highly recommended for the laugh factor.

4) Fear method: Basically, you chase the Dragon around, instead of the other way round. As with Polymorph, Greater Malison, Doom and Lower Resistance will help.

5) Instant Kill method: Lvl 12 Chromatic Orb, Finger of Death, etc... ... GM, Doom and LR applies here as well. Be warned of using Petrify or Disintergrate though, you will end up destroying the loot too.

6) Chain Contingency Bomb method: If you are high enough level, store 3 Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting inside a Chain Contingency and set it to trigger to nearest enemy when enemy is sighted. Cast a Spell Trigger with 3 Lower Resistance the moment you see the Dragon. This method will either kill the Dragon outright, or bring it to near death. It's a confirm kill if you have two mages doing this.

7) Feeblemind method: If successful, Dragon will just stand there and let you hack away for free... ...

8) Hack it to death, with summons to help as well. This should provide the most 'thrills'. One of my favourite methods.

9) Others?

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 02:28 PM   #5
Lord Ed
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the summary!
Lord Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 02:35 PM   #6
www.cffl.com

Welcome to the forum Lord Ed

------------------

That is what Bin Laden is going to look like when we are done with him.

Old 09-25-2001, 05:08 PM   #7
demus
Manshoon

Dragon Slaying method 9

Firstly discover what breath weapon the dragon uses. Then, configure your best ranged fighter with items which will collectively give 100% resistance (and or scroll + potions) to the dragons type of breath weapon (eg. Red=fire, Silver=Cold etc.). Then attack the dragon with only the previousely configured character in sight of it. Now either lead it to a small gap it can't get through and nail it with the ranged weapon (very effective ) or if there are no nearby gaps, make sure the resisting character can move really fast and get the dragon to chase him/her whilst the rest of the party pepper it with powerful ranged weapons.
Result: 1 dead dragon, no dead party members (hopefully )

------------------
Nicodemus Deathslayer, Paladin and Undead Hunter of the Order of the Holy Flame
demus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 08:50 PM   #8
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Okay here is my patented, never-fail, dragon slaying technique. And yes, I am ashamed it had to come to this.

Jan uses spell trigger with three lower resistances.
Edwin casts time-stop as soon as the spell trigger goes off.
Edwin casts improved alacrity.
Edwin casts as many horrid wiltings as he can before the time stop runs out (about three).
Edwin casts time-stop again
Edwin repeats improved alacrity horrid wilting steps.
Dragon dies.

------------------

Goddess and Sorceress of the HADB, and her sidekick Pink
Aelia Jusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 04:46 PM   #9
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

By the time you can cast improved alacrity, time stop, etc. your tanks can probably just waste dragons anyway...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 06:09 PM   #10
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Unfortunately no. I had to resort to this after about 10 tries on (spoiler) Abazigal, tanking and summoning. And Edwin does have the robe of vecna...

------------------

Goddess and Sorceress of the HADB, and her sidekick Pink
Aelia Jusa is offline   Reply With Quote