Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 09-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
Soothsayer
Dungeon Master

Just letting you all know that I will soon be starting a new IWD game, Im not sure if any of you can remember me, I certainly remember you.

I have completed IWD several times, but never HoW or TotLM, which I now both have installed.

Looking forward to another adventure in that snowey dale we know so well...
Old 09-20-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

What party will you be using? I'm lookin' for ideas. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Soothsayer
Dungeon Master

Hmm lets see....

I wont be using any pure fighters ofcourse, and no pure theifs because they suck tbh.

My single tank will be a ranger, long swords, no shield

i may have a fighter/their with short bow, but thats always a dodgy choice as they tend to be fairly weak

ill have one purely offensive mage

one cleric/something most likely

I may dual something aswell

Sorry, I really havent decided yet, so its a bit vague (yeah, a bit)

anyways, Ill post again with final decisions when they arise.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:07 AM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

Going weak on tanks? Definitely grab all the offensive-minded spellcasters you can, then. As it's your first time through HoW, take a druid and a bard to check out their new capabilities.

Tip for HoW - HoW adds a feature to thieves called 'evasion'. Evasion allows thieves to avoid damage from certain area-effect spells (fireball-types) if they make a saving throw. A multiclass fighter/thief isn't such a bad tank/archer, especially if it is a gnome (capable of 18 Str, Helm of Trusted Defender, and can use longbows). Alternately, you can just cast Resist Fire/Cold and Protection from Fire on your tank and fireball away - you will gain HP if your fire resistance is over 100%.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Soothsayer
Dungeon Master

Wow, thanks fot the tips Aerich, although I created my party before reading tat post

But Im happy with my choices anyway, its difficult, but Im enjoying the challenge.

I have a 3 person party, as Ill need the experience for my Cleric skills:

1) Human Theif (Dual to Fighter at about dragons eye)..all abilities are on find and remove traps and pick locks

2) Human Necromancer (In a 3 person party, Im hoping shell level up fast enough to be my main offensive)

3) Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger Just a combination I always liked, and it seemed wise to round off the party.

I strugled to kill the Orge in the caves outside Easthaven *embarrasment* but as you can imagine the extra experience from a small party helps alot.

[ 09-21-2005, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Soothsayer ]
Old 09-21-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

If I may make a suggestion Soothsayer. Add a Bard to your party.

Trust me with HoW, the bard is a completely new class. Forget what you learnt about bards from BG and the original IWD. This character is going to be extremely helpful.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:45 PM   #7
NobleNick
Quintesson

I remember you, Soothsayer! Seems like yesterday. Welcome back!

Just started a new IWD/HoW/TotLM party, myself: Full party of 6, and 5 of them will be DC warriors (4 Fighters and a Ranger). The sixth one? I'll let you guess...

Wish I could second ZFR's recommendation for a Bard for your party; but I honestly have very close to ZERO experience with parties less than 6 strong. A Bard would likely need to be played differently for small parties.

I can corroborate ZFR's contention that the Bard was MASSIVELY upgraded by HoW. The very worst someone could honestly say is that this class no longer stinks. And some (like ZFR and myself) think a lot more highly of the class than that. And you don't need to be in the HoW areas to benefit from the HoW class upgrade.

I would not take a Bard into Heart of Fury mode, because her capabilities plateau long before CLVL 30; so there would be a lot of wasted XP. But for games without insane levels of XP, she is a good bet: In addition to her very valuable vocal talents, she is arguably a more powerful spellcaster than an MC Mage in the late game.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote