Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 08:53 PM   #1
fiffa46
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok I had the game a few years back and my old computer which ran on windows 98 ran this game fine. The old disc's got scratched so I coudln't install it on my new computer which runs on windows XP. I found a copy of the game in a local store and decided to pick it up cause this game was alot of fun. But, I can't get it to run on my new computer. It installs, the opening movie plays, but when it goes to load to the start screen it crashes. I contacted Activision and they basicly said that they know it won't run on XP but they also don't give a damn and won't attempt to find out why or to fix it. So, is there any way to get it to run on an XP system? Please any help would be very apreciated.

fiffa46
fiffa46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:02 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, fiffa46!!!

Yes = you can run W&W on an XP machine

Read through the TECH TIPS thread -
W&W wasn't written to run with Win2K/WinXP but some wonderful regular posters to this site helped to collect solutions which can now found in the Tech Tip thread.
You should find your solutions there but if you have any difficulty - just post again. Everyone here is very friendly and helpful!

I'm not much of a techie but what you might try first -

make a short cut to the W&W program. Right click on it and choose PROPERTIES - in that window tell your machine to run W&W in emulation mode, choose either Win95 or Win98 as the emulation. That may solve your problems right there but if not - come on back. We'll help!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
fiffa46
Elite Waterdeep Guard

oh yeah, I have already set it to 95 compatability. I also get this message "The program you are trying to run requires a current Indeo codec.
To obtain a current driver that is compatible with this version of Windows, please contact the manufacturer at http://indeo.ligos.com." and then any time after that I get a error about some form of memory or something.
My computer has 1.5gig amd proccessor, 38 gigs of HD space, and 512mb of ram. I have the most current version of DirectX and I am honestly not sure what video card it has.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
fiffa46
Elite Waterdeep Guard

lol I stupidly missed that post the first time around but I read it and tried some things and it still didn't run. Posted more info but I see you reply'ed before I got it up. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
But thanks for the fast reply I apreceat it alot.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Okay -

You might be able to figure out what video card you have by right clicking on "my computer" and choosing properties or by opening the control panel and looking at the divice manager - look for your "display adaptor".

I doubt that I'm going to be able to be much help but you will find help here. We've got a couple of techie regulars so it shouldn't take too long before you are given some solutions or things to try so they can figure out what the problem is. Just keep checking in - it won't take too long.

We had one member report that Activision was actually making use of some of our Tech Tips for W&W - we've always provided more support than they have and my techie regulars are the very best!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:47 PM   #6
fiffa46
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ATI Radeon IGP 320M
its what came with my comp which is a laptop so I can't just open it up and put a new one in [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2005, 06:45 AM   #7
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Fiffa46. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] I see you have been well answered already. [img]smile.gif[/img] These people are just incredibly fast.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
jsalsb
Elminster

Hi fiffa46,

Are you up and running yet? I played on an XP laptop with a Radeon card with no problems. If you've set the emulation mode to 95 or 98 and updated your indeo codecs (which I didn't even need to do), then all that's left is the virtualdubbing (see tech tips... which you did) and you're good to go!

edit - the indeo codecs are for media compression and decompression - don't depend on your make of video card.

[ 03-05-2005, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: jsalsb ]
Old 03-05-2005, 09:43 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, fiffa46 May you soon be saving the Gael Serran...

You've got the basic tips there. A couple of additional things...

1. You may need to get the Ace Mega Codec pack. There's a link to it in Tech Tips, I think... Willow found that the missing codec was in there. It's a free download, unlike the current Indeo codecs.

2. You may get clobbered if there are other things running in the background. Some apps like Kazaa and such have caused problems, and allowed the game to run after stopping them. You don't have to give them up, but you do need to stop them when you're going to play W&W

3. Using Virtualdub to decompress the town files is critical. Check the recently updated instructions in Best Tips and let us know how readable they were.

4. You may try Win98 compatibility mode instead of Win95. It made a difference for me...

5. Defragging your hard drive is also a good idea. I know you've got 38GB free, but every bit can make a difference.

I think the rest of the tips and tricks have already been covered. Give these a shot, and let us know how it goes [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bottom line: it does work.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:47 AM   #10
jsalsb
Elminster

Oh... one other thing to add to Bungleau's excellent advice: Try turning off your antivirus software before playing! I had problems with that. And... if you're running XP with service pack 2 and its added weasel-ware 'security' 'features' (in my opinion everything in SP2 gets put in quotes), it may not like certain aspects of W&W's structure. I have't installed W&W on my latest laptop (which came with SP2 installed) so I can't tell for sure, but just a hunch.

Has anyone else out there run W&W on an SP2 system??