Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-07-2000, 02:38 PM   #1
bpm07

I don't mean for this to be a place to vent political views, but how do you people think the world would be today had the facists won the second World War? I.e. a Europe and Soviet Union controlled by Hitler.

Sends cold shivers up and down your spine? Or, waters your mouth? Have a say!

Old 12-07-2000, 02:46 PM   #2
Magness
Quintesson

Actually, this was the underlying premise of the novel "Fatherland". (I don't remember the author.) Additionally, the basic plot is a murder-mystery taking place in 1960's Berlin of a victorious Nazi Germany. The protagonist is a Berlin police detective. If this is a "what if" scenario that interests you, I'd suggest reading "Fatherland".
Old 12-07-2000, 02:52 PM   #3
Zenith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

it may send shivers up one's spine but it could have meant that today, the US would have a president-elect and not some whiny SOB holding things up with litigation...
Old 12-07-2000, 03:14 PM   #4
bogus

I don't think he'd be able to keep control forever.. there were too many different nationalities that had had some sort of freedom and knew what life should be like (unlike the soviets who went straight from slaving medieval farmer to slaving comrade).. besides he lost wwII pretty early.. the russians kicked his ass in -41 (the "western" european front was a joke, it didn't even do a dent in the wehrmacht (we westerners just like to think so because it makes us feel better (mind you that I'm not dissing the westerners who fought in wwII, they bled and died just like everyone else so they are still heroes))) .. the rest was pointless killings..

b

Old 12-07-2000, 04:13 PM   #5
Teeka

Go to one of the concentration camps that is still there and watch the movie (truelife filmed back then)and then talk to me about this.

Old 12-07-2000, 05:10 PM   #6
bogus

I get a creeping feeling that some of you might have missunderstood my post so I clarify myself:

Hitler (and his "posse") was a maniac, he did horrible things to a lot of people for a very long time..
Military wise the nation that defeated Nazi-Germany was the Soviet-union, although Stalin and his "posse" were no nice guys either (he was almost as mad as Hitler)..
Since the post-war history was written in a very secluded world we westerners had free room to make ourselves the heroes of the the day.. however it was in russia Hitler lost the war in Stalingrad (I really ought to start reading my posts before I push the button, typo in the last one -41 should have been -42).. I don't by any means mean any disrespect to the horrors people suffered in the concentration-camps or suffered by the allied soldiers during wwII, they have all endured the most horrible experiences imagenable..

b

Old 12-07-2000, 05:57 PM   #7
Axis

Lennon killed 15 million of his own people!! Who says a word about that? The previous poster was correct, Hitler did lose in Russia. Don't start a war on two fronts, you think he would of learned from Napoleon? Anyway, this WHAT IF is a hard one to answer.....it's not like Marvels version: WHAT IF Hulk kill Wolverine? For the record, this would never happen. Hitler was not a friend of any country and that was his flaw. He could of had all of Europe, stopped, and perhaps lived as king.

Old 12-07-2000, 06:41 PM   #8
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

The book "Fatherland" is written by Richard Harris I'm pretty sure. It is....not very good (nor the movie) in my opinion. I have the book but its in storage. I think the name Richard Harris is used as a pseudonym by some authors who write the books from screenplays. Or something like that. I read about it once. The movie WWIII (with David Soul-sucked) is by the same Richard Harris. Now that I have bored even myself I will move on....
Old 12-07-2000, 08:08 PM   #9
antaren420

well, if hitler won, then bg2 would have been programed in german

Old 12-07-2000, 08:47 PM   #10
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Philip K. Dick wrote a great piece of fiction titled " A Man in Highcastle" concerning the United States being co-occupied by germany and japan after ww2. This is the same author who wrote the book that the movie "Blade Runner" was based on. Its good speculative stuff.