Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain

Old 08-28-2006, 12:20 AM   #1
dregnus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So after a long while I've reinstalled Neverwinter and took a stroll through the mountain. Besides my cpu overheating, it was a fairly pleasant experience. However I'm looking to create a new character and want to try something new. I usually play fighter types because of the high AB, and perhaps the best character I have is a 22 fighter/18 cleric. But I just have a few questions about the other types.

Are sneak attacks/death attacks effective in undermountain?
How about magic? IGMS, bigby's spells work?
is it possible to create an archer with a high AB?

I'm just looking to try out some classes I don't usually play, like thieves, wizards, or archers...and I'd appreciate any suggestions you have.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I have an AA around here that can hit pretty much anything in EfU.

Will try and find it.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:26 AM   #3
StigTC

T-D-C is right about the arcane archer being able to hit, just don't pay too much attention to the arcane bit and you'll be fine.

Sneak attacks and magic are very hit and miss though.
Sneak attacks can come up short very fast since some of the enemies are critical hit immune or they have true seeing.
Magic comes up short mostly because you simply don't have the spell capacity to take down enemy upon enemy with 200+ hitpoints.
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight, <br />Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other. <br />The deaf policeman heard the noise, and came and shot those two dead boys. <br />If you don\'t believe this joke is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too!
StigTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Go with a wizard or a sorcerer. If you want a real challenge, that would be it. Your best weapon specialties would be the quarterstaff and the dagger. (There are really powerful examples of both within the Undermountain itself. Save your money, as one of the daggers is very expensive, yet available in a regular shop. In fact, I believe two out of the five best daggers can be purchased.) Pure wizards ARE very difficult to use in the Undermountain, and I have yet to construct one myself. They tend to work best when paired with another character of any other class - pure class or multiclass.

Rogues and rogue blends are one of the most popular setups in the high-magic setting of Escape From Undermountain, right up there with pure monks. For those looking for the "cheap way out" when it comes to magic, Use Magical Device is their best friend along with all those dodge bonuses the properly outfitted rogue will possess. You'd be surprised how many "Robin Hood" types there are roaming around in the Undermountain. Rogue/Fighter, Rogue/Weaponmaster, and Rogue/Cleric blends have all been frightfully successful within the module.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
dregnus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

pure monk? I've never played a monk...that could be interesting.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:44 AM   #6
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by StigTC:
T-D-C is right about the arcane archer being able to hit, just don't pay too much attention to the arcane bit and you'll be fine.

Sneak attacks and magic are very hit and miss though.
Sneak attacks can come up short very fast since some of the enemies are critical hit immune or they have true seeing.
Magic comes up short mostly because you simply don't have the spell capacity to take down enemy upon enemy with 200+ hitpoints.
I have a sorc that can solo most areas, same with my wizard. Its just a matter of being prepared for the types of monsters you will face.

A pure monk is quite fun as well. just be preparted for long fights as you can't hit everything and everything cant hit you. Good thig is if you get into trouble they have almost DM like speed.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:52 AM   #7
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Having a bigger, badder team mate helps . (Thanks roddybug for the romp to lvl 13 tonight.)
Old 08-29-2006, 02:19 AM   #8
roddybug
Manshoon

Glad to be of assistance Garnet, teamwork is the best solution to Undermountain. Various characters do better in different areas.

I like playing monks or rogues but I find that I can't hit many things on the lower levels and a lot of critters are immune to sneak attacks and criticals. For soloing I reckon that that problem is solved if the first 20 levels are a strength based fighter type, after that it's up to the player. I've had some success with clerics with harm/heal spells. Fighter/rogues are pretty good because of use magic device, they can use scrolls when their sneakiness doesn't work.

From what has been written above it really seems to be just personal choice. If you're in a mixed party any character is fine.
roddybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:34 AM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I always like the teamplay runs! It's nice not to die quite so often while you rummage for a spell or that choking powder...
Old 08-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #10
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

I haven't even tried a mage or wizard char. Never seemed to really get the hang of magic. Closest I've got is a rogue with a high use magic skills. Apart from which I just like to get in there and hammer it out. I do have to agree with Cloudbringer, teamplay works best, I'll cheerfully throw myself into harm's way whilst the magic users sort themselves out and rescue me before it all goes down the pan. They've always been the best runs for me.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote