Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #1
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

For any and all of you whome have ever even thought of purchasing a digital download module from Bioware, they have finally created something that is going to tempt my OWN pocketbook (as flat as it is...)

http://nwn.bioware.com/premium/modul...edungeons.html
That is right, you read the title correctly. Infinite Dungeons, in the grand tradition of Angband, Rogue, and Diablo (to a certain degree) is their latest and possibly greatest creation to date.

Hey Ziroc, you think that they are finally catching up to you or something? *grins* Except for the fact you have to pay $7.99USD for their rendition of the Undermountain. As well, there will be NO Skullport due to the plotline created for the module. And didn't someone already do a pretty good random dungeon generator a while back in the form of NWNAngband? That's just me thinking randomly here.

It seems that the good people over at the DLA had a very strong hand in the creation of some of the extra fireworks within this module. Not to mention the good people at Bioware went mining for talent through the NWN community for part of this, dragging back with them someone who specializes in creating randomized dungeon crawls. This is something I could actually see myself purchasing. Not that it would supplant my time here, merely something else to numb my brain with. I do, however, like that model of Halaster they have there. Kind of nice, actually. Makes you wonder if they will release that to the community to use.

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewto...81469&forum=86
Bioware forums link to more information concerning Infinite Dungeons.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Once again, please read all the documentation about the module before you lay out the cash for it. If you are on a dial up connection, and want to play this module in single player mode, as advertised, you will have to be online. I guess the same is true for all the "Premium Modules" sold by Bioware. In the documentation is a link that explains the "internet connection required to play" thing that so nonchalantly gets added to the description.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Not for the three released on disk (and only when purchased on disk). I realise that I would have to be online and in my personal case it is not a major issue. There are huge issues being stated on the boards about the aspect of "what if I don't WANT to be online to play a game I PAID FOR" and the even more important "what if I AM UNABLE to be online and still want to play the game I PAID FOR." I hope that Bioware finds a way to assist those of this nature, or people will continue to refuse to purchase their digital downloads. I may end up buying the other modules one day, but right now Infinite Dungeons has truly grabbed my attention much in the same way the DLA project has... but it will be here much faster.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

The problem is, if you rush out and buy it, they are going to point to all the purchased copies and say, well, evidently it's not as big a problem as you all seem to think. Once you purchase something, nobody should be able to limit the way in which you use it, so long as it is within the law. They do that to prevent distribution by second/third parties, read; fighting piracy, but it mainly affects the buying public, no matter what they intend. There should be a better way, perhaps they could cd key them, like they do the games. Each download has a unique code, so set that code as a one time entered key, like the rest of the game.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Arrow

Well, there is no way that they (Obsidian and Bioware both) can insist it is not a major issue. There are whole threads dedicated to the issue, and they aren't that hard to find. If I can find them (without looking, might I add) then the good people at Bioware should be able to. This is a topic that has proponents and detractors on both sides, but it is far better behaved than some of the other outbreaks of zealotry we have been witness to as of recent. I for one have no problems with purchasing it on disk, as then it means I can take it with me wherever I go without worrying about viruses eating my game and me having to purchase my game all over again. Sure, there are ways around such a problem, but it is only one of many scenarios looked at.

It is something that will keep people from purchasing the new modules for a while, however. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that hordes of people will rush to purchase it the minute it is available on the website, but that by itself will not make it a success. Look, for example, how their servers crashed when people were desperately getting the latest patch for NeverWinter Nights a few weeks ago (now a month ago I believe). I know I want to see how this new digital download plays on my computer, but I am in no MAJOR rush to get it. (Just a minor one.)

[ 05-18-2006, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]
Old 05-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Just look at the size of the gun my new avatar has, you know I must always be right...If the new module sits there unpurchased long enough, or with significantly low purchases, they will figure it out.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

Premium modules have obviously done well- or atleast well enough, even with online copy protection or else they wpuld have gone away after the first batch.

Anyway this module looks very sweet, I cant wait to play!
Old 05-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Leonard Nimoy's voice acting skills are not enough to convince me that you are always right, RTB. *snickers* By the way, I happened to love the original Megatron. And yes, I DO own two Transformers T-shirts while listening to the latest track by Gnarls Barkley, "Transformers."

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I win.

And so does the latest rendition of Soundwave from the most recent version of the cartoon.

By the way, I was wearing the Autobots T-shirt while making this post without even noticing.

Back to the topic at hand: I would DEFINITELY purchase this module without even thinking about it if it were coming out in a compilation disk. I myself have never played any of Elidrin's previous works, but I may go to look them up now just to see what I can expect. Apparently the actual models themselves can be stripped from this new module and used in various *.hak files, but the tilesets, the *.2Da files and the *.Set files will all be locked down for the long haul (until the next patch comes out). So you have to wonder if they now have a specific model for Halaster, will other well known denizens of Waterdeep and the surrounding area also have models just for them?

I, for one, am waiting to see Ziroc's rendition of some of the characters, such as Elminster, Durnan, and Khelben Arunsen. I do believe he mentioned he was doing customized models for the trio, if not other characters as well. I am just hoping that all goes well with the final touches for the module before he puts up the newly expanded creation before us.

[ 05-18-2006, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]