Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #1
BRO,JD
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay, what's the secret to climbing down ladders? I keep falling down the ladder in the Toad Village (after telling the guard Ukabu). This alerts all the guards and they attack me. Thanks.
BRO,JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:45 PM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Climbing down ladders can be a bit tricky. You have to look virtually straight down into the floor and walk slowly backwards.

When your characters become a bit more robust they can withstand a fall from virtually any height.

In any case the fall is not what causes the toads to be upset. They become upset if you loiter for too long in the waters surrounding the village, and once it happens you cannot appease them again. You can use the charm spell on all of them, but Shinwiki's quest will be forever forfeit. If you wish to complete the quest you will have to reload.

But only 1) loitering for too long, or 2) attacking a toad will cause the toads to become upset. Falling down the village without using the ladder will never.

[ 08-27-2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 08-27-2004, 08:06 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, BRO,JD!!!

You can do a search through the board messages on this topic, there have been several descriptions/instructions on how it may be accomplished. Personally, I never found it worth mastering and used the jump/splat method quite happily. Never did serious damage and what damage it did do was quickly recovered.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:28 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I tried posting earlier, but the board timed out on me [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

In any case, welcome to the board, BRO,JD! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] May life in the Gael Serran put gold in your pocket, pep in your step, and adrenaline in your veins.

I think you missed one major step -- the person you first have to say "Ukabu" to is Ekbu. The other toad guards could care less about Ukabu, but if you say it to Ekbu, you will then be allowed passage into the toad village.

I also am a fan of the jump/splat approach, or the Geronimo method, as I call it. You never take much damage, and later on, it's just easier... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:25 AM   #5
BRO,JD
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the information. When I tell Ekbu "Ukabu," he says I'm not "Ukabu" and stays pretty upset. When I tell the guard behind Ekbu "Ukabu," we then have a conversation about the Shaman and Evil and everything. Even after having this conversation with the guard, the toads get mad and attack as soon as I go down the ladder.

In hindsight, I think I killed Mekdawa and maybe this is why Ekbu isn't very happy with me.

Do I need to start the whole thing over????
Old 08-28-2004, 05:00 AM   #6
BRO,JD
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hmmmm...

I've been searching the board for information on this. I killed Mekdawa early on -- all he told me was "You're not Ukabu" and attacked me (I think).

Anyway, the quest we're on is from the armorer -- a guild quest. We're supposed to investigate the Toad Village and see if they plan to attack Villeria. Any ideas? Should I just kill them all and consider that my "investigation?" [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2004, 07:57 AM   #7
Olli Kalma

Hello BRO,JD !

I don't think Ekbu matters what happens to Mekdawa. Mekdawa lives only for priest guild mission and to tell you where toad village are.

That is strange that guards don't regonize you when
you say 'ukabu'.

I don't know when that warriors guild mission triggers. Does it be enoght when you enter into village or do you have to speak to that toad shaman. That should take it when you speak to shaman and he tells you that toads aren't evil, evil lay's on the toadem ground...
Then back to guild...

hope you somehow pass trought guard.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:18 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... I think you're toast on this quest, unfortunately. You can still complete the game without any problems, but the toad village stuff is broken for you.

In order...

1. Mekdawa is the one who tells you that you are Ukabu. If you killed him before he told you, or if he never told you, then Ekbu may not believe you when you say Ukabu.

2. Roendalf only needs you to find out what's going on. IIRC, when you drop to the bottom of that first ladder, you've found out, and can report back.

3. By blowing the quest, you'll have to kill all the toad villagers, most likely including Shinwiki. You may get his spear when you do that, but you will lose the Toad Villagers quest. I think you can still open the passage in front of Shinwiki, so you can still get the evils and touch the Toadem Pole [img]smile.gif[/img]

A bit annoying at the start of the game, but I'm sure you'll get through it. One of the best things about the game is that you really can't blow it completely -- no matter what you'll do, you'll still be able to complete the game.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 03:52 PM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

You're still early enough in the game that you might want to consider resetting the adventures and doing everything over again - you'll still have the experience your characters have gained, nifty equipment (not quest items though). There are certain advantages to resetting. I found it to be a handy way to build characters up in the early stages.

By resetting you can redo the whole Toad Village Ukabu quest bit trying to avoid your previous problems. This is not a critical quest and the rewards, as already mentioned, are not outstanding. If you choose to not redo the Ukabu quest, you'll still be able to complete the game which is nice! The toads have long been a source of frustration for many players - sometimes they block the pathways and the only way to get around them (if there is not enough room for a stackman solution) is to off them in one blow. Dead toads tell no tales and set off no alarms.

I believe that all you have to do for the Warrior quest is actually "enter" the village and leave - you don't need to talk to anyone, just go in to what it considered the real village and then go back to town.

Do let us know what you decide to do - press on or reset! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:50 PM   #10
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:

3. By blowing the quest, you'll have to kill all the toad villagers, most likely including Shinwiki. You may get his spear when you do that, but you will lose the Toad Villagers quest. I think you can still open the passage in front of Shinwiki, so you can still get the evils and touch the Toadem Pole [img]smile.gif[/img]
Shinwiki only drops a regular Bo Stick (or it may be a Witch's Stick) when killed; you've to do the quest to get his stick.

I remember the other two points differently as well. I have, for example when playing thoroughly evil characters, killed every single toad in and out of the village without affecting the quest. The toad village quest seems to be completely location-triggered, i.e. go down the first ladder into the tunnels & you're straight. On the other hand, I've never been able to open the Shaman's Door w/o Shinwiki's help -- I play unpatched...

I, BTW, also favor the classic Geronimo method of ladder descension
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote