Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2003, 01:14 PM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm using Black Ice but it doesn't seem to be stopping it. I'll see if I can deactivate it via the control panel, does anyone know if this will have any unwanted ramifications? Murphy's Law and all that.

Old 08-10-2003, 01:49 PM   #12
andrewas
Harper

The only thing that messenger service does is display any messages it recieves. You can turn it off with no problems, unless you expect to recieve useful messages over it, which nobody does over the internet because you cant leave messenger open to the internet without running into this kind of crap.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:10 PM   #13
Faceman
Hathor

also any idiot can easily write a 4-line-script to spam your IP to death (sending you 1000 messages/second) so you won't escape until you pull the network cable and/or restart
Old 08-10-2003, 06:41 PM   #14
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
It kind of makes you wonder though, if win2k,me,and xp are all supposed to be more secure than win95/98 why didnt I have this problem with win 98??
it's not a bug, it's a feature!
seriously though, the reason you didn't get messenger spam in win9x is because those had practicaly no serious networking support and consequentialy didn't include the messenger service. it's actually a very useful tool for networks, there's a lot more to it than just sending messages (open the console and type 'net help' and you'll see what i mean). unfortunately it is very easy to spam someone with 'net send IP blablabla' messages, so it's a good idea for most users to just disable it, as they will most likely never need it.
and as i believe that anything that can easily be done manually should be done so, i suggest people use the win2k/XP administrative tools to disable it, not some third party program (those sometimes do more than advertised [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Old 08-10-2003, 08:13 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
I'm using Black Ice but it doesn't seem to be stopping it. I'll see if I can deactivate it via the control panel, does anyone know if this will have any unwanted ramifications? Murphy's Law and all that.
Mario, frudi's 2nd answer works, I've done it,myself (using BlackIce isn't going to stop this, it's not ordinary 'popup' stuff)

Quote:
"2. go to control panel/administrative tools/services and stop and disable the messenger service. if you disable it here it is definitely permanent "
It seems to have stopped all that netsend spam I was getting, ok.

[ 08-10-2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 08-11-2003, 12:31 AM   #16
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The Messenger service was added to allow system administrators to blast messages to all the computers in the organization. Things like "System going down for backup in three minutes", "Log off immediately", and "Leftover food in the lunchroom".

In most cases, you don't need that at home, and I can't think of many system administrators I know who do that at work.

So disable it. You won't be worried, bothered, or missed.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.