Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2003, 02:51 AM   #11
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
...Night Ride Across the Caucus is incredibly haunting...
The thread inspired me to put the album on, and I'm listening to that song as I read/reply! Wonderous.
I don't own any others, have heard one or two other songs, but I will have more. Oh yes, I will have more. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I really appreciate how she's delved into the roots of celtic musical traditions - not gone the easy cliche option.

I've studied Indian classical music, and love it as well as much music from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and the middle east. I amazed at how much the different styles crossed over and intertwined and influenced each other - long before TV, radios and internet!

I heard a bagpiping busker the other day playing songs that sounded ancient. Not your usual bag of tricks for a saturday shopping busker - it was beautifully haunting.

Just yesterday I heard two aboriginal buskers in trad dress and markings - one playing didjeridoo, one singing and playing rhythm stick. I was transfixed as they too, were not doing the usual 'play for the tourists' vibe but performing a most eerie and melancholic piece. It gave me goosebumps. And I heard in it, the pain and sorrow of tribal peoples the world over - there was a discernable link I could 'see' between their music and many others. I felt like I was in a trance. Amazing.
[/QUOTE]Great post Leonis

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 02-02-2003, 05:02 AM   #12
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I may have posted this link before, but here it is again for those who missed it first time. As for my personal preferences, having seen June Tabor live a couple of times, I'm not sure how anyone could top her

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 02-02-2003, 07:45 AM   #13
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Nightride Across the Caucasus was one of my first favourites also since I heard it in the movie "Soldier". I also like "I Have Not Been To Paradise" and "TangoTo Evora". Funny how many people that have heard "I Have Not Been To Paradise" at my place are amazed as they have been on an eternal search for it since watching "Starship Troopers".
Old 02-02-2003, 08:01 AM   #14
Jorath Calar
Harper

I like her a lot... a friend from German told me about her, and my favourite song is "Dante's Lament"... great song.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:36 AM   #15
Campino

I just have to post if i see a topic like this.I'm a big fan of her,ever since i first heard "The visit".That album sticked with me like glue,and hearing the opening track,"All souls night" for the first time is something i still remember clearly.Over the years,i've collected all her cd's,and i love the way you can hear her music develop from album to album.She's made many great songs,like The old ways,Santiago,Skellig and Standing stones,just to name a few.
She's one of the pearls of the music business imho.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:30 AM   #16
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

They play her music alot on NPR's "Thistle and Shamrock" show. I too own most of her CD's and love them. "Elemental" has some beautiful tracks. If you buy the CD's read the sleves inside. She travels alot and you do hear Indian, Spainish and other influances in the music. She also reads a great deal. You will find she has converted Tennison, Yeats and Shakespear amoung others.

If you would like to get some other CD's that have Loreena and many others get the "Celtic Twilight" series from Hearts of Space. There are 5 CD's in the set so far I believe. You might also Try "Clannad".

Loreena McKennitts music was also featured on the TV series "Strange Luck". Not to mention some of the "Highlander" Movies.

[ 02-03-2003, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Wulfere ]
Old 02-03-2003, 08:02 AM   #17
Melusine
Dracolisk

Just wanted to say hi to Campino... man, you've been gone for ages!
Old 02-03-2003, 10:44 AM   #18
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Bokken:
Nightride Across the Caucasus was one of my first favourites also since I heard it in the movie "Soldier". I also like "I Have Not Been To Paradise" and "TangoTo Evora". Funny how many people that have heard "I Have Not Been To Paradise" at my place are amazed as they have been on an eternal search for it since watching "Starship Troopers".
Thank you! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] When Cloudy and I used to talk on MSN, she would have Loreena playing in the background. And wehn Nightride would come on, I would always say "I know that I know that song from somewhere", and it would bug me and bug me for *DAYS!*. Thank you so very much for pointing out that it was in 'Soldier'. Now I can quit bugging Cloudy when I hear the song.

As for Loreena's other music...Well, I'm hooked! I love Cletic stuff and have been a fan of Enya, Clannad, and many others for years. I was just looking in one of my CD wallets, and, of the 36 CD's it holds, at least a third are celtic stuff. [img]smile.gif[/img] I listen to Loreena with Cloudy rather often now, and I love her. At some point in the future I intend to pick up all of her CD's, and keep up with them. That way Cloudy wont have to give me 'The Look' when I ask to borrow one of hers and take it down to my study to listen to it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Great topic Yorick. [img]smile.gif[/img]

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"