Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2001, 01:53 PM   #21
Vicotnik
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Iīm just watching the whole development with interest.
Yes Napster does provide artists with some exposure, but more often than not it is the artists who already have exposure that lose sales (Anastasia lost about 300 000+ sales??!!) through this theft.

Which is what taking something for sale without paying is.

This issue is the artists choice. I have no prob with my own stuff going around and considered putting in on Napster, but that is my choice.

A similar scenario is hanging around to see a good busker and then walking away without tossing a thing.
"I donīt have to pay so why should I" If he/sheīs good enough to stop for, and they entertain you, what is fifty cents?

There are positives in this, and some negatives. There are plenty of other sites that will pick up where Napster left off.
Hopefully the net will in turn provide a way for artists to produce music without the need for record companies that reduce an artists share of a disc to around 12% of wholesale price (less in the US).

As I said Iīm watching this with interest.

Well said!
I don't think the music industry will get anything from this, because there will be tons of other sites for musiclovers to go to when they want free music. I don't use Napster to gather full albums, just to get a preview of some sort of a CD I'm thinking about buying. And also to get oldies which don't cost that much anymore. It is sad though, that here in Iceland our amazingly expensive CD's have just been taxed some more! They call it 'piracy tax'. That's funny, Napster shutting down and they decide to tax CD's some more than they already are. Anywho, no need to cry, in an hour I'm taking off to intake rather enormous quantities of beer so I'm cheerful.

------------------
Vicotnik, archmage of the Holy Flame - Challenge me... and die.
Old 03-03-2001, 01:56 PM   #22
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Vicotnik are you in Iceland!!! Wow! I had no idea.
Björk is an astounding vocalist! Has one of my favourite tonal qualities in a femme when she sings in her upper chest register.
Are you in the capital?

------------------
Where were Hamlet and Horatio when I needed them?
Old 03-03-2001, 02:04 PM   #23
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Man, here in this Easy Everything ITN/Cafe you wouldnīt believe the number of people who come in and download hits from Napster. Itīs a constant stream.

------------------
Old 03-03-2001, 02:07 PM   #24
Vicotnik
Zhentarim Guard

Yes she is indeed a very good singer. She's been all over the news here following her movie debut and all the awards that followed. Even though she got alot of rewards and job offers she said she'll never do a movie again, funny.
Oh and Yorick I'm in the capital area, a town close by.

------------------
Vicotnik, archmage of the Holy Flame - Challenge me... and die.
Old 03-03-2001, 02:21 PM   #25
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

So I take it the weather is pretty warm there at the moment?

Re the film, the director said they had a hard time working together.... femme singers! I donīt know.
Hey (looks around quickly for Melusine)
Vic, what is the difference between a Female singer and Saddam Hussain?
You can TRY and negotiate with Saddam...

'Human Behaviour' though, what a song!

------------------
Old 03-03-2001, 02:27 PM   #26
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Man, here in this Easy Everything ITN/Cafe you wouldnīt believe the number of people who come in and download hits from Napster. Itīs a constant stream.

Yor, doesn't it take a while to download from Napster anyway? They'd be sitting there for at least half an hour. And that's just for one song.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Holy Flame
Old 03-03-2001, 02:35 PM   #27
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

There are USB and Audio in/outs here. Donīt know how long it takes. There are a LOT of computers here, nothing like it in Aust. All flat screen monitors. Heaps of computers over two floors.

Sitting next to me is a fellow doing just that. Iīve noticed it for a while now, both here and in the U.K. (to a lesser extent)

------------------
Old 03-03-2001, 02:44 PM   #28
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Hey Yorick, nothing against your signature as I think it's pretty cool, but how come you dropped that pic. I thought that was really cool.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-03-2001, 02:54 PM   #29
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

The huge Keanu? yeah I loved it! So ostentatious, so in your face. It went well with the "Fair Dinkum" too. Changed the context of itīs meaning to "Holy s#*ß"

I thought it might have caused a few probs on the old board. Besides, Memnoch here gave me a wedgie about it

You liked it hey? I thought I only cracked myself up. I couldnīt stop laughing when I saw it on the board.

Iīd put it up now, except thereīs no help page and Iīm in no way familiar with html (donīt post examples anyone, Moiraines going to email me some)

------------------
Old 03-03-2001, 03:00 PM   #30
Hesperex

It will be a bit of a blow if Napstar do do this but I do kinda agree with CB on this, The Artists do! deserve payment, but as for the tax well it's 17.5% here in the UK makeing a new cd cost around Ģ13.99 which is $20 USD. I wouldn't mind paying about 8% vat but 17.5 is just ridiculous.

------------------