Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 07-21-2002, 07:43 PM   #1
So So
Zhentarim Guard

How do you change the size of the windows swap file for wizards and warriors? i read somewhere in this forum (around the first page ever) that if u change the size of the windows swap file it reduces the amount of the crashes that happen when you go adventuring in the world.

thanx for the help

(edited to remove the non G-rated adjectives - Wyv)

[ 07-23-2002, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: So So ]
Old 07-21-2002, 10:40 PM   #2
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Is this a new problem or have you had it all along?

There is no swap file for WW, the swap file is for Windows. It's located in system properties under preformance. How you get there varies depending on your OS.

If windows has been managing your swap file size and you just started having this problem... There are other things to consider...have you made any changes to your system, added any programs that run in the background or could you be running out of space on your HDD?
Old 07-22-2002, 01:37 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

So So,

As Packrat mentioned, the swap file is dictated by Windows, and is best either left alone or set to something like 2 to 3 times your physical memory. Personally, I don't set mine that high, but that's because I've got 512MB of memory, and I just can't see allocating 1.5GB to swap... *NOTHING* I run uses that much memory.

Where you set swap depends, but it's usually in control panel. You might review Saz's techie help desk for some suggestions.

And one other comment: while life in the Gael Serran can get frustrating, and made even more so by the evil wizard William of Washington, this forum is a forum attended by all ages, and we try to keep a relatively clean level of discussion here. Perhaps I overreact, since I use far worse in my daily life, but I do tone it down when there may be youngsters nearby. And please -- no offense is intended by this, but merely a suggestion for courtesy.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 07:00 PM   #4
So So
Zhentarim Guard

oh sorry people for the language but the crashing from the game to my start screen sort of gets frustrating at times...... anywayz i'll change that. i understand the courtesy part and i'll respect your thought. thanx a lot for the help though...... sorry i'm a little comp illiterate...... Anywayz is there any way at all to keep the game from crashing? [by the way i have windows xp with a celeron 1.2 ghz procesor and 256 ram] and i have had crashes with the game ever since i installed it. sometimes it gets better sometimes worse... appreciate the help........
Old 07-23-2002, 08:11 PM   #5
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

With that much Ram ...you shouldn't have any problems with your swapfile size. (Windows uses the swapfile to compensate, when there isn't enough Ram available.)

Check out this link... WIN XP problems ..the second post...And see if it helps.

A word of caution...I don't Have XP, so I don't know how well this fix works or if it's reversable... you might want to wait for a second opinion, before you do it.

[ 07-23-2002, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Packrat ]
Old 07-23-2002, 09:27 PM   #6
So So
Zhentarim Guard

thanx i'll try it out
Old 07-23-2002, 10:32 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Definitely try the suggestions Packrat linked to. There's a lot to be said for compatibility modes...

You might also check for other processes that are running and aren't needed. There's a list buried in the Techie Help Desk thread, and with certain exceptions, you can eliminate a lot of what might be running. But try what Packrat suggested first -- that will be a lot less invasive. There's nothing quite so depressing as spending the first fifteen minutes of gameplay tweaking all the system settings so the game will run...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 09:11 PM   #8
So So
Zhentarim Guard

i tried one of the tips packrat gave me and it seems to be working like a miracle......and i'll check on the stuff you're telling me too
it cant hurt if it makes gameplay have absolutely no crashes.......
thanx people.......
Old 07-25-2002, 09:31 PM   #9
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

There is a program out there called 'TAG', thats suppose to help you shut down background programs for gameplay and then reload them when your done.
I never did try it, (with 512MB Ram and a lean tray I didn't need to) but I beleave it has a time limited free trial version and a small charge if you want to keep it...Check out this site and give it a look over... TAG

[ 07-25-2002, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Packrat ]
Old 07-25-2002, 09:38 PM   #10
So So
Zhentarim Guard

i thank you again for the help but the only problem is that your suggestion contained "a small charge" once again not to sound ungrateful but i'm sort of struggling a money problem so i dont think i'll try that just yet...... thank you a lot though man.......