Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-09-2003, 12:54 AM   #1
Belle
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oh My god! After all these years and centuries of coming up in the world. We can vote, work , have kids, and basically have the same rights as men, women that is. But today showed me, everyday does in fact, that some men will always think that we belong in the kitchen and are not able to take our opinions as valuable. I was being appraised for my yearly raise and my manager said his piece of why he evaluated me the way he did and when I said mine, I got a little upset and of course like any man would, he said discussion was over. It really made me upset. You see, this is the work situation where I work. Larry, the mananger is straddling the fence, doesn't know whether he is gay or straight. Divorced for about nine years now, father of two, I am convinced he hates all women. Sean, 18, openly gay, boyfriend of another store manager in our district, I am beginning to not stand him at all. Tony, who doesn't care about the job at all, not gay or straight, but more gay than straight if that makes sense. He is actually ok. Joe, oriental guy, doesn't understand much english, but at least he isn't gay, lol. He is a very decent guy. When a woman expresses her opinion, asserts herself, she is a female dog, (dont' know if I can say the other word on here and don't want to get that cat after me). But when a man expresses himself, he is being strong. Why? Well, I am personally tired of it and will not take it anymore. So here is my open statement to all women everywhere, stand up for ourselves, ******* or not! Yea women power! Watch out men, here we come!
Finally through venting, The mighty Belle (half of poor Azred)
Old 09-09-2003, 01:46 AM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

She's right, you know.

See, even I know when to shut up and agree. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

note: I might have to sleep on the balcony for saying that

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:01 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

gee.. this is the first time ive heard of this.. gays being fem haters. (based on your opinion of course). Its ok to stand up to your rights.. just as long you dont trample over us men in the process. my2c

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-09-2003, 04:59 AM   #4
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

I am a man - but I wasn't involved in your bad experience. Why do I have to suffer too?

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane
Old 09-09-2003, 08:28 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Aww, Belle, rant all you like! I have actually been in similar situations, with bosses who really don't care about anything but their own needs and employees are a means to achieving that. Even had one boss who hated women and actually said things that confirmed it and insulted specific women in our department in my presence, as if a "lowly" secretary was just a piece of office furniture and and couldn't repeat it...sheesh!

But as they say, "This too shall pass"!. Hope the rant makes you feel a little better, Belle! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-09-2003, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 09-09-2003, 08:31 AM   #6
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Bah! Quit your whining woman and get back to work!

[ 09-09-2003, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 09-09-2003, 10:31 AM   #7
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Actually many scientists are beginning to doubt that the gender roles was as clear cut back in prehistoric times either.

If we should believe the global heating doomsayers northern Europe should be heading back to the ice age, but that is another topic.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:32 AM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
[img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] You are much braver than I am! [img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img]

Don't forget that women still earn only 75% as much as men of the same position and level of employment, on average. That is a very bitter pill to swallow, and is one of life's confusing mysteries.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:11 PM   #9
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
[img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] You are much braver than I am! [img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img]

Don't forget that women still earn only 75% as much as men of the same position and level of employment, on average. That is a very bitter pill to swallow, and is one of life's confusing mysteries.
[/QUOTE]Not true... when all factors are considered (Hours worked per week, experience, job function) women make within a few percent of men (and different reports have it at + or -, but well within the noise in any event)

Sorry about your experience Belle, such instances justify a rant or two. I work in a company where your boss would get fired if it was established he acted in a sexist way. I suggest you go up the chain and log a complaint if you felt you were unfairly treated.

The gay guys I know get along just fine with women.

[ 09-09-2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Old 09-09-2003, 12:33 PM   #10
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I could tell you some horror stories. Unfortunately, too many women are afraid to speak up for fear that they will lose their jobs that they desperately need and so they tolerate it. I worked in an office when I was in college where you had to go through the computer room to go the restroom. The guy in there would regular try to corner me for a kiss. I had one boss that talked to me about how all women that wore make-up and dressed nice were after men and postitutes in his opinion and me sitting right there with make-up on. I had the minister of a church I was playing for at the time proposition me and threaten to make trouble for me if I didn't "cooperate"---I resigned my position and found another.

It is a complex problem and there are no simple solutions. But, you will put up with alot of crap is you need the job and have no safety net.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>