Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Ironworks Forum Skyrim

Has anyone here played it?

I've never played any of the Elder Scrolls games but this one appears to be fun. Only lvl 8 currently with not a whole lot of time to play, but I like the way they tie the games history together through the various books and lore throughout the game. My cousing is into it and has done some skinning for it.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Re: Skyrim

I've played through and beaten the mainquest on the 360. Definately fun, but in true bethesda fashion, there are many broken quests. (litany of Larceny in the thieves guild for one) and for those of us who are on a console there won't be any fixes for those unless bethesda chooses to address the issue in a patch, which they haven't so far. Glitches aside, it's an awesome game. Seemed a little easy on the default normal difficulty. I may try a harder setting on my next play through, after I pick up some of the DLC.

Currently doing a run through Oblivion on 360. Of the two, I definately like Skyrim better.

Speaking of Oblivion, I was on my way to Bravil and was accosted by a random bandit. A little ways up the road, I found the body of Dralora Athram. Sad to say she's no longer in my game, on the bright side, I have a nice lucky necklace now with a +8 to Luck.

On a related note, I like how they handled getting rid of the attribute system in Skyrim.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 01-15-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

I've played it on PC rather than 360, though I do have it on 360 and will be testing it soon. I enjoyed it, especially the improved graphics, though I thought Oblivion was a bit better in terms of story in some places.
Enjoyable though, I've restarted it a few times, currently level 62 dark elf (finished all quests though).
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

I played it during the winter last year and thought it was an improvement in most ways over Oblivion, but still not quite as interesting setting and content wise as Morrowind was.

As opposed to Firestormalpha, I didn't particularly like the classless character system and the loss of yet more stats from Morrowind/Oblivion. You can obviously build your own character class as you see fit, but ultimately neither of my two characters (a nord barbarian and a dunmer assassin) never reached high levels (I retired them at about 30-40 or so) simply due to a lack of role-playing opportunities.

However, it's certainly a beautifully absorbing and immersive world, quite enjoyable to explore. The dungeons are also an improvement from Oblivion's cookie-cutter tunnels and usually contain lore and a puzzle here or there to make it more interesting.
I think the writing generally is better than Oblivion too.

I'm still yet to try playing a mage type character in order to explore the Dawnguard, Hearthfire DLC as well as the Bard/Mage oriented questlines. That's definitely in my backlog for later in the year.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
Elif Godson
Dracolich

I've been slowly trying my hand at magery. They system is all new to me as I havent played any of the titles so it's fun either way! I just got myself handmaiden which helps in the combat and carrying of items for resale, but she does get lost often or stuck.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

So far I've always followed the Legionaire out of Helgen. It just seems to be the natural flow of the escape. I follow the other prisoner into a building, up to the second floor and then I'm jumping through the roof to the floor of the next building. Exit the building and there's a legionaire calling me to follow him.

So, how do you follow the stormcloaks out?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Elif Godson
Dracolich

I'm not sure about the stormcloaks, I know later on you can join up with them though as I have quest for it. I've pretty much done the same as you and followed the lego at the beginning then meandered around the world from there. Found some nice areas and some not so nice areas as well as a dragon or three.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

I just wish there were a way to get homegrown mods onto consoles...

Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
So far I've always followed the Legionaire out of Helgen. It just seems to be the natural flow of the escape. I follow the other prisoner into a building, up to the second floor and then I'm jumping through the roof to the floor of the next building. Exit the building and there's a legionaire calling me to follow him.

So, how do you follow the stormcloaks out?
There should be a part before you leave Helgen, in front of a large building (I think it's one of the towers) where you get a choice to follow either Hadvar (Imperial Legion) or Ralof (Stormcloaks). If it's working correctly, the two should actually be arguing with each other, and you get to choose. It's pretty much the last part of being in Helgen itself. It's not a game changing choice though, you can still choose to be with either Stormcloaks or the Imperial Legion no matter which character you follow.
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Just installed the Hearthfire and Dawnguard DLC's and I think they just added a mountain to the middle of the Whitrun plains. Not sure though, it's been awhile since I played. I've been going through Oblivion, finally completed the main questline. The Battle against Mehrune's Dagon was kind of cheesy.

Update:
Ok, after conferring with a friend who is playing an un-modified skyrim, it appears I merely forgot the mountain was there. And checking the map that came with the game shows a mountain as well.

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 02-04-2013 at 12:09 AM.