Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #31
silencer
Dungeon Master

Resetting the BIOS won't do nil unless previous settings were changed (not much that should stop it from booting either). I would check if all your device cables are still attached inside. If else, try putting in your Windows disk and booting into repair (or a repair CD you have) - from where you can try various things such as fixing the boot record.

If it doesn't boot off a CD you will need to access the BIOS, IIRC the BIOS-access for HP machines is one of the F-keys - try banging each one individually like mad each time it boots up.

Worst case scenario is that the BIOS is corrupted and needs to be flashed (you should take it to an expert to do this, an incorrect flashing can lead to never being able to boot the machine again).
Old 10-17-2004, 03:24 PM   #32
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Erm... if you'd read my post on the previous page, silencer, you'll see that that's exactly waht I said... to be able to load off a Windows disk one must first you know... set the BIOS to load the CD, maybe? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2004, 03:37 PM   #33
silencer
Dungeon Master

Sure [img]smile.gif[/img] I was just stating it's a pretty last-case scenario, HP might try booting of CDROM by default.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:44 PM   #34
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I don't have a windows disk.

Anyways, I've decided there's probably no way with my limited expertise (I still don't know what BIOS is [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) that I'd be able to fix it at home, so I'll take it in to get fixed. Thanks for all the help though. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2004, 06:33 PM   #35
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Well, we gave it a shot anyways [img]smile.gif[/img]
Just FYI, BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System. It's embedded into the motherboard's ships, and it's the basic of a computer's functionality.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:26 PM   #36
Sir Goulum
John Locke

So, BIOS is like the brain? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2004, 02:15 AM   #37
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
@ Felix The Assassin - The motherboards are set to discharge all capacitors when a certain time passes without a battery, and that time is almost never longer than 3 minutes, so turning it completely off for 12 hours yields no added results. You don't need to unplug anything but the battery.
Sometimes, maybe, possibly, then again a number 6 waffle iron may only produce 5. You are correct 12 hours may not yield any added results. [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
Remember, this is a store bought, major brand, proprietary system, for the home user.

Quote:
Originally posted by http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/BIOS_hack.htm:
Removing the CMOS Battery
The CMOS settings on most systems are buffered by a small battery that is attached to the motherboard. (It looks like a small watch battery). If you unplug the PC and remove the battery for 10-15 minutes, the CMOS may reset itself and the password should be blank. (Along with any other machine specific settings, so be sure you are familiar with manually reconfiguring the BIOS settings before you do this.) Some manufacturers backup the power to the CMOS chipset by using a capacitor, so if your first attempt fails, leave the battery out (with the system unplugged) for at least 24 hours. Some batteries are actually soldered onto the motherboard making this task more difficult. Unsoldering the battery incorrectly may damage your motherboard and other components, so please don't attempt this if you are inexperienced. Another option may be to remove the CMOS chip from the motherboard for a period of time.

Note: Removing the battery to reset the CMOS will not work for all PC's, and almost all of the newer laptops store their BIOS passwords in a manner which does not require continuous power, so removing the CMOS battery may not work at all. IBM Thinkpad laptops lock the hard drive as well as the BIOS when the supervisor password is set. If you reset the BIOS password, but cannot reset the hard drive password, you may not be able to access the drive and it will remain locked, even if you place it in a new laptop. IBM Thinkpads have special jumper switches on the motherboard, and these should be used to reset the system.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.