Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

When I rebooted the PC today, the battery-backup on the floor registered a beep that power had been cut off from the main supply and that I was now on battery power...but this only lasted the length of one beep. It was not isolated to the PC as the phone which is sharing this USP also registered a break in current for the duration of a second. The power disruption did not affect anything outside of this USP, for the overhead light did not blink. Can a PC power-surge backfeed into the USP to disrupt electrical flow? In other words, can Windows cause such an occurance by merely rebooting, which involves only program-related activity and has nothing to do with the power supply in the PC hiccuping?
Old 11-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
When I rebooted the PC today, the battery-backup on the floor registered a beep that power had been cut off from the main supply and that I was now on battery power...
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but what kind of batteries are you using?? I'm having quite frequesnt power cut-offs which last just a few milliseconds but are enough to switch off the PC.

[ 11-18-2006, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 11-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Just because you didn't notice the light blinking doesn't mean you didn't have a power break.

It takes more than a few milliseconds for the bulb to cool.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

But at the exact moment of the reboot? That was just too close to be coincidental with no apparent provocation from any other external or internal source.

BTW, ZFR, its a Cyberpower UPS.

[ 11-18-2006, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 11-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Larry I've used several commercial UPS's and my questions would be: How old is it? And when was the last time it was serviced? In my experience a problem like this is almost always a fault with the UPS itself. Usually it's battery. They are great when they're working, but seem to have a lifespan much shorter than your average PC. I have run a DOS only 1 program installed system with my AMEK RECALL Audio console off UPS for 5 years. So far: Failure> UPS:3, PC DOS:0

[ 11-19-2006, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 11-19-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
Larry I've used several commercial UPS's and my questions would be: How old is it? And when was the last time it was serviced? In my experience a problem like this is almost always a fault with the UPS itself. Usually it's battery. They are great when they're working, but seem to have a lifespan much shorter than your average PC. I have run a DOS only 1 program installed system with my AMEK RECALL Audio console off UPS for 5 years. So far: Failure> UPS:3, PC DOS:0
The UPS is about four years old I think. I did not know they had to be serviced...They can be serviced? I'd just buy a new one if this konks out. I gave about $60 for it.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
The UPS is about four years old I think. I did not know they had to be serviced...They can be serviced? I'd just buy a new one if this konks out. I gave about $60 for it. [/QUOTE]Yes. Not worth getting serviced even if it could be. Bigger ones can. I guess they've priced it in the "just buy a new one" range...