Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 11:33 PM   #31
SecretMaster
Apophis

The only gaming company I really trust and have high expectations from is Bethesda. Every time they've thrown an ES title at the public its been one heck of a game. And they typically build each game off of feedback from their fanbase.

And down with Blizzard entertainment. They royally f****d up the Warcraft storyline as we know it.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:33 AM   #32
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yes, Bethesda. They'd be highest on my list also. Todd Howard (big cheese) is, or at least was an avid player of the game that he was in charge of developing and Bethesda do appear to listen to their fans. But herein lies my beef. They listen to the multitude of fans that comprise the 10-17 age bracket. The bracket that riddles the official forum with endless useless "wot weapon do u like best" threads. True, this bracket represents the majority of the user base and i certainly don't expect any company to ignore this group. But i don't expect to be ignored because i fall outside this group either. Oblivion, at first glance, is a highly polished, immense game with all the fruit to keep the pimply teens happy. Play it for any decent amount of time, however, and one soon realises that there's not really the amount of depth of gameplay that this type of game should have. With only a tiny bit more imagination and work to build upon what they already had, this game could have been something extraordinary. As it is now, the entire Morrowind fanbase is split in two. And Bethesda seems to be listening only to those who like what they've done.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:58 AM   #33
Sever

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:

My answer? At the top of a game company should be a greedy investor/businessman. And by 'greedy' I mean aiming to make maximum profit on the games produced.
*waves magic wand*

Shazam! Two wishes left.

[ 08-29-2006, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Sever ]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 08-29-2006, 01:52 AM   #34
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
Yes, Bethesda. They'd be highest on my list also. Todd Howard (big cheese) is, or at least was an avid player of the game that he was in charge of developing and Bethesda do appear to listen to their fans. But herein lies my beef. They listen to the multitude of fans that comprise the 10-17 age bracket. The bracket that riddles the official forum with endless useless "wot weapon do u like best" threads. True, this bracket represents the majority of the user base and i certainly don't expect any company to ignore this group. But i don't expect to be ignored because i fall outside this group either. Oblivion, at first glance, is a highly polished, immense game with all the fruit to keep the pimply teens happy. Play it for any decent amount of time, however, and one soon realises that there's not really the amount of depth of gameplay that this type of game should have. With only a tiny bit more imagination and work to build upon what they already had, this game could have been something extraordinary. As it is now, the entire Morrowind fanbase is split in two. And Bethesda seems to be listening only to those who like what they've done.
I don't know. The game has problems, but they could release an xp pack. Maybe buying extra content would be the solution.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:11 AM   #35
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

It just seems to me that the companies who really have cared a great deal about getting all right, fall out because it gets too expensive or they end up comprimising on quality because of the all mighty $$$. Microprose was great back in the 80s then started taking short cuts and games started to suffer, Interplay was fantastic but is now no more, Sirtech stopped supporting quality game makers because it got to expensive. I would wait 7 or 8 years if someone would produce another Wiz8 or Jagged Alliance 3. Even Wiz 8 was released unfinished but was still a quality product.
Companies are always trying to find a balance between the quality they can afford and the timeline it takes for that quality. Too much time and they don't make the investors happy, too little time and gamers suffer.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:44 AM   #36
Sever

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
I don't know. The game has problems, but they could release an xp pack. Maybe buying extra content would be the solution.
[img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] You what?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 08-29-2006, 10:56 AM   #37
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Eh, Bethesda already started with the "let's charge suckers for content that costs us nothing" crap, so that really brought them down in my eyes. I still like Blizzard personally, as far as making a game with sheer scope goes. But then Bethesda are good at that too...just wish they didn't get the greed-demon this year.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #38
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I havn't read all the posts, but I'm thinking of 3DO - New World Computing. Most of the Might & Magic series was excellent. Does it get to a point where companies just rely on their reputation? It seems to look that way at times.

I think they often forget, specially with RPG"s that graphics are a little less important than story. The engine also makes a difference.

Look at Wizards & Warriors, great game but stupid engine.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:11 PM   #39
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:

Edit: Who should be at the top of these companies? A somewhat fat corporate whore, with ethics.
I put the word "concrete" in my post in italics to emphasize it, and still this is the kind of answer I get. . Do you call the above a concrete answer? What you wrote is something that really has no meaning, and can be interpreted by any person any way he likes. Answer specifically. What do exactly do you mean by ethics? Define. And for goodness sake don't use the word 'somewhat'. It's probably the least concrete in English vocabulary.

I may not (in fact I don't) agree with Sever's answer, but at least he wrote something clear and specific.

My answer? At the top of a game company should be a greedy investor/businessman. And by 'greedy' I mean aiming to make maximum profit on the games produced.
[/QUOTE]I prefer the term enlightened self interest to greedy. Greedy is what produced the situation we have today.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #40
SecretMaster
Apophis

Oh yeah, Nightwing reminded me. Sirtech was a great company. Its a damn shame they fell apart. Hands down Wizardy 7, Crusaders of the Dark Savant is probably my favorite CRPG ever. Daggerfall probably is second.

Bethesda current practices with the charging of mods I dislike. I don't understand why they can't make all of their content, plus more into an expansion pack. Regardless of that factor, they are a good company.

And I know Oblivion has a split fanbase. I read the forums everyday and I see so much "Morrowind this" or "Oblivion that". Frankly I'm sick of it. Oblivion is a good game. Yes it has its shortcomings. But so did Morrowind. Oblivion has taken quite a few steps forward compared to Morrowind. I don't ever expect a "perfect" ES title. If I wanted that I would never buy the game. There is always going to be disappointment. I wish Oblivion had other things yes, but I'm still very satisfied with the game.

However, nothing will ever beat Daggerfall.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote